Customer Service 866.965.0400

Scratch on Magnum

BRZN

The 2007 Dodge Magnum I drive is a Leased car provided to me by my employer. I'm provided a "Fleet" credit card for gas and service such as oil changes. I must use one of the places the Fleet card has an account with for oil changes. I've been using a local Valvoline Instant Oil Change franchise to have this work done. I hate going to these types of places. Yesterday I was due and stopped in. I waited in the car while the work was being done, I never got out of the car. They did place fender covers on to help protect the paint. These were held in place magnetically. I drive home to finish up some computer/phone work and then have to go out again when my stomach sinks: getting back into the car I see this:

IMG_2610resizeScratch.jpg

I was already home, I have no actual proof they did it, but I'm really sure this wasn't on the vehicle when I left in the morning. I'm thinking there was something stuck to the underside of the fender cover being held on by the magnet, and when he pulled off the cover it slid across the paint. It's over a foot long, deep enough to catch my finger nail it's entire length and actually comes up over the top of the fender a bit.

I couldn't take looking at in any longer, so when I got home earlier today I went to work. Found my sanding blocks as well as 2000, 2500 and 3000 grit wet sanding paper:

IMG_2623resize.jpg

The blocks are nice, with both a soft and firm side to them. The soft side is good for edges and contours.

I wiped down the fender with WCW and a WW microfiber towel.

Here's a shot after the 2000 grit, it's almost all gone:

IMG_2612resizeScratchID.jpg

Here's a shot after the 2500 and 3000 grit:

IMG_2613resize3000grit.jpg

Next comes the PC and all it's little friends:

IMG_2621resize.jpg

Polished to perfection. The SSR and Green pad on the PC removed almost all the sanding marks. I still followed through with the SHR and FMP:

IMG_2616resizepolished.jpg

IMG_2617resizeperfect.jpg

I topped it off with a coat of Buttery and feel much better now, time for a cold one!

AWESOME!

If no one else is going to ask about the Pads I will... Whats with the Pads? lol

The pads are used to wet sand with. Keeps it flat and pressure even.

Sent from my iPad using special algorithms and data nodes.

Thanks gang, I'm so glad it came out. The pads? What? :confused: They still work just fine! I'll agree the orange one is pretty tattered around the outside edge, and the white one's a bit stained but the polishing surface is fine on them. I do have new ones, but to do this job out in the driveway in the sun I wasn't about to get them out.

No no no.... the Buffing Pads are different than the ones for the Flex and PC. I've never seen them before. That's why I'm asking.

yeah they look a little different, unless the honeycomb is THAT worn off

No no no.... the Buffing Pads are different than the ones for the Flex and PC. I've never seen them before. That's why I'm asking.

Wasn't really thinking of what pads I had out when I took the picture. Hate to tell you but not every product in my detailing bag has Adam's on it (a great majority, but not all). Adam's products work very well, and their people and customer service are second to none but I don't limit myself to just one retailer. Some products work better than others some not so. Sometimes price is a factor too: I've one daughter in College and another looking into Culinary Arts Schools.

Dave,

BTW, where did you get the sanding pads?

Picked them up at the local Colors PBE store for just a couple bucks. Beware though: the 3000 grit sand paper will cost you an arm and a leg. $1.00/sheet! The 3000 took the sanding scratches down to the point that the SSR removed the instantly.

Picked them up at the local Colors PBE store for just a couple bucks. Beware though: the 3000 grit sand paper will cost you an arm and a leg. $1.00/sheet! The 3000 took the sanding scratches down to the point that the SSR removed the instantly.

:iagree: I got 10 sheets of 9x11 3000 grit for $10 on eBay. For the amount of wet sanding I do, it will probably last me 5 life times.

Archived