Customer Service 866.965.0400

Red Oxidized Volvo!

goatcheez

Question

Hi All!!

I just purchased a 1996 Volvo 850 Station Wagon. The car is in great shape but the paint is oxidized pretty badly. I want to bring it back to life but what exactly should my process be? I did some homework and this particular Volvo color did NOT come clear coated from the factory.

I'm planning this....

Wash (dawn)

clay bar

PC

SMW

APC & SVRT On Black Side Moldings, Trim, etc (trim on bumpers faded badly)

In & Out Spray

etc....

I know the drill. But I'm concerned that my pads might be ruined by all the oxidation. Also, since Adams is more of a clear coat friendly product, will it have enough cut?? Gonna use my PC (it's all I got), but should I go to my local paint shop and get some heavier cutting pads and compounds first and then finish with Adams??

This car is primarily gonna be a daily driver / gig mobile so perfection is not needed. Just want it to look nice and be some what protected. I don't wanna trash my good Adams pads (that I use on my good cars) working on my Volvo. Any advice / tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

goatcheez

15 answers to this question

Wow!! Great pics!! Thanks!! Now I'm chompin' at the bit to get at it. Gotta work a good portion of the weekend.....Ugh!! I'll keep you posted!

I'm still gonna try to find some "extra" PC pads locally for the initial once over. Save the Adams stuff for the final step. Thanks guys!!

goatcheez

Wow!! Great pics!! Thanks!! Now I'm chompin' at the bit to get at it. Gotta work a good portion of the weekend.....Ugh!! I'll keep you posted!

I'm still gonna try to find some "extra" PC pads locally for the initial once over. Save the Adams stuff for the final step. Thanks guys!!

goatcheez

Here are some dealers in ur area

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=10 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%">Finish Line Performance

24137 W 111th Street

Unit M

Naperville, IL 60564

Phone: 630-717-0824

Fax: 630-717-1205

Sales@flp2win.com

www.flp2win.com

</TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%">Smoky Jennings Chevrolet

152 N Main St

Palmyra, IL 62674

Phone: 217-436-2414

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%">Great Lakes Line-X

2510 Route 176

Unit K

Prairie Grove, IL 60012

Phone: (815)-455-0123

greatlakeslinex@aol.com

</TD><TD vAlign=top width="50%">Nickey Chicago

1930 Dean Street

St. Charles, IL 60174

Phone: 630-377-1222

nickeychicago@att.net

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top width="50%">Stasek Chevrolet

700 West Dundee Road

Wheeling, IL 60090

Phone: (847) 537-7000

Fax: (847) 537-7161

www.stasekproshop.com

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

It's almost done! Ran out of daylight, so will post pics tomorrow. Used SMW for final protection and I am noticing ALOT of streaks! It has been VERY humid here the last few days, so I am suspecting that is the problem. Never had issues with SMW before. Remid me again what the fix is for streaks??

Also, I made sure to mask off all black (faded gray currently) bumper trim and side moldings but I didn't mask off the windshield washer outets...and now they're clogged. Any solutions??

Thanks again for all your advice and tips and you will be amazed at how great the car looks!! Adams Rocks!!

goatcheez

MSW? lol

I think you didnt wipe it off very well. I think you should go back with some detail spray and mist the whole car and wipe it down. That should take care of the streaks.

Also, I made sure to mask off all black (faded gray currently) bumper trim and side moldings but I didn't mask off the windshield washer outets...and now they're clogged. Any solutions??

Toothpicks (big stuff and nozzle) and Qtips & rubbing alcohol.

Archived