Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dandruff

Velociabstract

Question

I used Adam's Machine Polish with my new Porter Cable and I need some fine tuning of my technique. I ended up with little white specks from my white foam pad on the roof. I either used too much pressure (don't know how this could be as I only used the weight of the machine) or I went too slow. I did a section at a time, 2' by 2' and worked the polish about 2 to 3 minutes each section. I moved the machine about 4" every 2 seconds. I kept the foam pad moist with detail spray. My results were pretty impressive but I know I can do better. Anything obviously incorrect in my technique? Do the pads wear out after a couple of uses? Forgive my impatience master. Grasshopper wants to grow from novice to pro pronto.

Les:burnout:

Great question! Thanks for asking :thumbsup:

What might have happened is the polish began to dry on the pad and was then giving you a dandruff effect. A cool way to avoid this is to spritz some Detail Spray on the pad before use. Helps keep the pad lubed up and allows the polish to do it's job better.

Be sure to clean the pads really well between use also - the dandruff effect will also creep in when using a pad with dried product in it.

There is a good reason we don't carry these pads anymore!

Still, the specks are typically dried polish, and a thorough washing with APC should do the trick.

Sorry for the hassle, and like Jason said, the Gen 2 pads are a worthy upgrade.

Thanks for posting your experience here! :pc:

The specks were little pieces of foam. Blew them off, no harm no foul. The final results were good and I have no hazing or scratches. I'm just looking for a little insight into what I did wrong (if I did something wrong) This weekend is scheduled for more polishing and waxing.

I guess its difficult to diagnose without seeing the process I used. I just assumed it wasn't the pad, it was the user. So I want to polish up my technique and be like the pros. I'll be ordering the Gen2 pads in the near future. I'll let everyone know what I learned during round 2 of polishing and waxing with Adams.

The specks were little pieces of foam. Blew them off, no harm no foul. The final results were good and I have no hazing or scratches. I'm just looking for a little insight into what I did wrong (if I did something wrong) This weekend is scheduled for more polishing and waxing.

I guess its difficult to diagnose without seeing the process I used. I just assumed it wasn't the pad, it was the user. So I want to polish up my technique and be like the pros. I'll be ordering the Gen2 pads in the near future. I'll let everyone know what I learned during round 2 of polishing and waxing with Adams.

Leslie, I'm thinking your pads are defective. How about you shoot me an email, and we'll replace your pads with the new system. They shouldn't disintegrate with use, and while the old pad system is not as effective as the new, the foam is the same. It sounds as if your foam is at fault, while your method was likely not!

Shoot me an email and we'll get you squared up: Adam@AdamsPolishes.com

Thank You for your business Leslie!!:thumbsup:

Guest Richie Carbone
I bought the new pads from Richie at the Turkey Run this past weekend. I used them yesterday and they are by far better than the last ones.:2thumbs:

I'm glad to hear they are working well for you Allan. :thumbsup:

I just had the dandruff effect. It was the first time to ever use that Gen 2 white pad, and I hit it with a couple shots of detail spray before use. Also, I used four bean sized dots of fine machine polish. spread it around manually, then started the PC at 3, then moved to 5. Im pretty sure I moved slow enough - slower than Adam does in the videos.

any thoughts? does it really matter that this happened?

estecoca:

You must have done exactly like me the first time I used the portercable. Not enough product on the pad and working it too long or too slow.

When I got it right with the results I wanted I had put 4 lines of polish from the center almost to the edge of the pad. Don't work the polish until it's dry. (I did and --- dandruff) When the polish starts looking sort of clear but still wet, your done. Also work a smaller area at a time. I originally did a 2-1/2 by 2-1/2 area moving an inch a second. An 18" to 2' area at a time works better moving faster at about 3 to 4 inches a second. I'm not an expert yet, but I got good results and no dandruff the 2nd time around. Good luck.

Les

this was by no means my first time using the PC, just the first time for this specific pad. in other words, its brand new and the issue cannot be improper cleaning to remove old product.

I have to say that I am reading differing opinions on the amount of product to use. there are some who say less is more (i.e. use four pea sized dots). there are others who say there's no such thing as too much. i guess I need to stop listening (reading) to others and figure out what works for me. almost makes me wish I had some more subjects to work on...

estecoca:

You must have done exactly like me the first time I used the portercable. Not enough product on the pad and working it too long or too slow.

When I got it right with the results I wanted I had put 4 lines of polish from the center almost to the edge of the pad. Don't work the polish until it's dry. (I did and --- dandruff) When the polish starts looking sort of clear but still wet, your done. Also work a smaller area at a time. I originally did a 2-1/2 by 2-1/2 area moving an inch a second. An 18" to 2' area at a time works better moving faster at about 3 to 4 inches a second. I'm not an expert yet, but I got good results and no dandruff the 2nd time around. Good luck.

Les

I have to say that I am reading differing opinions on the amount of product to use. there are some who say less is more (i.e. use four pea sized dots). there are others who say there's no such thing as too much. i guess I need to stop listening (reading) to others and figure out what works for me. almost makes me wish I had some more subjects to work on...

There is such a thing as too much product on the pad. It will sling and generally make a mess. Plus it will cause the pad to more or less just float across the polish and not actually let the cut of the pad polish the finish. And you are correct, you need to practice as much as possible to get your technique to where you want it to be. Everyone is a little different and so is their technique. That is what I used my friends car for, practice practice practice :lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack:

Don't sweat it Les, the key is: It came out great, and you are pleased! If not, let's get busy making it perfect for you:2thumbs:

(Posting photos: put an image of any size on your computer, and to make it easy, save it in a folder you are frequently in. I save photos to a folder on my desktop.

1. Below, find and click the "Manage Attachments" button.
  2. Click one of the "Browse" buttons.
  3. Find the folder and file of your photo on your computer.
  4. Click, "Upload"

That will get the photos on the site! The one you posted was something like 150 x 150. A larger photo will be 650+ in size.

Again, if you are pleased, I'm pleased, and have a nice dinner! If you would like to achieve more with the finish, we are here to help!

Thanks Les:2thumbs: