Customer Service 866.965.0400

For the Shutter Bugs....

Nordgrey

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't speak to how much more comfortable the RS-7 is than the RS-5, but I can say that three hours with the RS-5 on my shoulder felt like nothing. Completely comfortable. Maybe if you are running a large lense you might feel the difference. I was using a 55-200 on my Nikon.

The RS-5 will easly take an iPhone or Blackberry without case in the phone pocket. A 52mm lense cap fits nicely in the zippered pocket with lots of room left over and I never even touched the zippered mesh pocket.

Just got mine today :banana: (I got the RS-7.) Haven't had a chance to field test it yet, but my initial impressions are that this will be great. I was literally just running around the house with it on and even vacuumed all the floors while wearing it just to test it's obtrusiveness, and it stayed right at my hip with no strain at all on my neck. Compare this to Monday when I went for a five mile walk with my regular strap and the camera dangling around my neck, and the camera wouldn't stop bouncing around my chest unless I had one hand on it all the time. You could also feel the weight of the camera the whole time. The weight isn't a problem at all with this. And Nick, if you're still concerned about it unscrewing, I just don't see that happening. Besides having a rubber gasket on the hook, the friction of which alone should stop any backing out, the gasket also has little grippers molded in it to prevent it even further. Once it's screwed in tight, it's only coming out on purpose.

DSC_0065.jpg

I also got a Lowepro SlingShot 102 AW bag to carry the camera in, and ordered it two days before Jim posted this thread. It arrived today too, and fortunately they seem like they'll compliment each other nicely. They sling over opposite shoulders (luckily) and when I'm wearing both I almost feel like a gunslinger with my bandoliers of ammo. :lol: The bag will store extra lenses or even a mini tripod (both of which I don't have yet) and also the camera if you aren't going to be using it for awhile. The only real downside to these is that they aren't made in the USA (strap in Taiwan, bag in Vietnam) but I don't know of any American made equivalents.

thanks for taking that pic.. now I just gotta figure out whether I want the RS-5 or RS-7..

I did see (I think on B&H) that there is a 'NEW' RS-5, a Ballistic one.. I wonder what the difference is supposed to be..

found a link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/794104-REG/Black_Rapid_RS_5_BALLISTIC_RS_5_Ballistic_Camera_Strap.html

I'm even considering the RS-Sport, it includes the BRAD..

now I dont know what I want, shoot!

I had the same problem. :lol: I went with the -7 over the -5 because the included storage wasn't all that important to me and I figured go with the lighter package. I also liked how the RS-7 has front and rear stops on the strap so I could keep the camera in one place if needed. With the RS-7 I also figured I could add the BRAD if needed, while I'd be stuck with it at all times with the Sport. The little bit I've messed with it, it seems the BRAD would be helpful when I'm bending over, as gravity tends to slide the strap forward, but the strap slides right back to it's normal position once I stand up. It doesn't bother me that much so I don't know how much the BRAD would help. I may end up getting the BRAD though just to try it out. This was all just my thought process, but good luck deciding on your own.

This is getting a tad creepy Len.

I bought the exact same bag, the day I bought my camera.....LOL

:lolsmack::lolsmack::lolsmack: Maybe it's the sailor minds causing us to think alike.

Ahh, I was thinking the BRAD on the Sport was removable..

looks like the RS-7, most likely adding the BRAD and a JOEY..

Maybe it is removable. I assumed it was part of the strap but looking closer it looks like you may be able to get it off. The Black Rapids site didn't have video reviews for the Sport models like they did the others.

I have 2 lowepros right now... 1 thats big enough for my camera body, 2 lenses, a SB flash, charger, hood, and small accessories. The other is only big enough for the body w/ the 200mm lense on it and thats about it.

I need something I can put both my laptop and the camera gear into for short trips and keep both protected.

Maybe it is removable. I assumed it was part of the strap but looking closer it looks like you may be able to get it off. The Black Rapids site didn't have video reviews for the Sport models like they did the others.

I wonder..

Ahh, I was thinking the BRAD on the Sport was removable..

looks like the RS-7, most likely adding the BRAD and a JOEY..

I am going to be at the store again in a couple days for one more class on the 5100. I can check and see if the brad is removable on the sport if you want to wait a couple days to pull the trigger?

the BRAD is removable on the Sport, I just got an email from BR.

but the JOEYs do not work on it..

so it looks like I can spend:

$58.95 RS-7

$15.95 BRAD

Total $74.90 +s&h and have the capability to expand (JOEYs)

or

$69.95 +s&h RS-Sport that comes with a BRAD, but not expandable

Archived