Customer Service 866.965.0400

FMP Issue

Heineken

Question

I was using FMP on my wife's Trailblazer last week and it seemed to be drying too fast and had next to no working time. You could actually see lines in the paint where the polish seemed to completely dry out. Temperature was about 75 degrees and slightly humid out, not bad for polishing. Vehicle was in the garage so sun wasn't an issue.

The problem occurred with both the Flex and PC and Adam's pads. I tried speeds between 3 and 5 and differing amounts of detail spray but it was next to impossible to get out the marring from SHR. Ended up putting a CCS pad on the flex and use Menz polish to fix the bit I started. I used the X for the polish amount on the Flex and a single shot of DS, 3 pea size drops on the PC and another shot of DS. I had under 1 minute of working time. I would almost continually have to keep spraying the pad with DS to work the polish in. SSR & SHR were fine under the same conditions.

Anyone else have this issue?

15 answers to this question

Never had this issue. Were you working directly under the sun? When polishing it's always best to work in a garage that way the sun doesn't dry out the polishes and pads. Plus if a gust of wind comes by and throws dirt on your car, your pads will get ruined and so will your paint

This is why I use a PC, not a flex. A lot more room for user error.

Did you keep your pad misted with DS before you applied more FMP product to the pad? Sounds like your pad was dry and not enough product on the pad. A dry pad could destroy a finish in a heartbeat. When I did my car recently with FMP, I added three pea drops to the DS primed pad for each panel. After saturation of the pad, I was even able to do a couple panels without adding any more FMP product.

Never had this issue. Were you working directly under the sun? When polishing it's always best to work in a garage that way the sun doesn't dry out the polishes and pads. Plus if a gust of wind comes by and throws dirt on your car, your pads will get ruined and so will your paint

Thanks for the reply. Vehicle was in the garage and not that it matters but it was dark out.

Thanks for all of the replies. I'll try adjusting my pressure. I used the same amount of pressure that I used with SHR. If it happens again I'll video what I am doing to see if I am screwing something up (which I probably am).

This is why I use a PC, not a flex. A lot more room for user error.

Did you keep your pad misted with DS before you applied more FMP product to the pad? Sounds like your pad was dry and not enough product on the pad. A dry pad could destroy a finish in a heartbeat. When I did my car recently with FMP, I added three pea drops to the DS primed pad for each panel. After saturation of the pad, I was even able to do a couple panels without adding any more FMP product.

I used the same amount of product as when I used the SSR & SHR so I don't think it was too little. I may try applying it in a ring as Junkman shows to see if that help. It may be moving toward the center of the pad.

Personally I don't use as much pressure with Fine Machine Polish.

I figure I am not trying as hard with the machine to correct, only clean up what I did the previous step(s). On the PC I apply more pressure than when I use the Flex for sure. I would suggest backing off pressure a little bit.

Mook

I had this issue when i first broke in the pad and pc but once the polish saturated the pad and i got my technique, it worked out. I still had some flaking but very little and this was direct sunlight. I have noticed that visually checking pressure with the pc seams a little harder with the new black backing plate than with the yellow and a stripe marked on but not significant.

I was using FMP on my wife's Trailblazer last week and it seemed to be drying too fast and had next to no working time. You could actually see lines in the paint where the polish seemed to completely dry out. Temperature was about 75 degrees and slightly humid out, not bad for polishing. Vehicle was in the garage so sun wasn't an issue.

The problem occurred with both the Flex and PC and Adam's pads. I tried speeds between 3 and 5 and differing amounts of detail spray but it was next to impossible to get out the marring from SHR. Ended up putting a CCS pad on the flex and use Menz polish to fix the bit I started. I used the X for the polish amount on the Flex and a single shot of DS, 3 pea size drops on the PC and another shot of DS. I had under 1 minute of working time. I would almost continually have to keep spraying the pad with DS to work the polish in. SSR & SHR were fine under the same conditions.

Anyone else have this issue?

How about posting a video and showing us what you are doing?

Hopefully I can give it a shot tonight. If going lighter on the pressure doesn't work, I'll shoot a quick video.

Thanks for all the help!

Doug and Junkman are both right. FMP has a long open time. It is pretty oily so give it a good shake before you use it.

Archived