Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sticky Situation

InDepthAutoDetailing

Question

I'm detailing a 99 Honda Accord. I'm cleaning the interior like I always do. Spray L&IC, scrub with the interior brush, then wipe clean with a cheap microfiber.

I always start with the driver's compartment. I cleaned the dash, it turn out great. I cleaned the steering wheel, it turned out great.

Then I start on the console. The area around the the gearshift is a hard vinyl but the cover for the cupholder is a softer vinyl. I cleaned it just like normal but when I wiped wiped it I noticed it was sticky. I worked on this for about 30 minutes. I did get the hard vinyl surface clean (not sticky). The softer vinyl is a different story. I worked on this alone for at least 20 minutes. I finally gave up for the night and decided to ask the experts.

The only thing I've tried is L&IC and some warm water on a paper towel. I don't think the stickiness is from a spill. I think it's from a previous use of armourall or something similar.

I have one of the hand held Shark steamers. Do you think that would work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post. I tried to be thorough because I don't have pics.

Thanks,

Len

9 answers to this question

Did you try some APC yet. Sounds like a spill my OBS had that soft vinyl and it was a spill magnet. I think the LIC is less aggresive than the APC so may not be the best for that scenario.:2thumbs: hope it works out. I dont smoke or drink in my 08 i learned to much from the past.

I'm detailing a 99 Honda Accord. I'm cleaning the interior like I always do. Spray L&IC, scrub with the interior brush, then wipe clean with a cheap microfiber.

I always start with the driver's compartment. I cleaned the dash, it turn out great. I cleaned the steering wheel, it turned out great.

Then I start on the console. The area around the the gearshift is a hard vinyl but the cover for the cupholder is a softer vinyl. I cleaned it just like normal but when I wiped wiped it I noticed it was sticky. I worked on this for about 30 minutes. I did get the hard vinyl surface clean (not sticky). The softer vinyl is a different story. I worked on this alone for at least 20 minutes. I finally gave up for the night and decided to ask the experts.

The only thing I've tried is L&IC and some warm water on a paper towel. I don't think the stickiness is from a spill. I think it's from a previous use of armourall or something similar.

I have one of the hand held Shark steamers. Do you think that would work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post. I tried to be thorough because I don't have pics.

Thanks,

Len

I have '99 Accord also, and mine is currently in the "sticky" state. Shall I say I used a car manufacturer's plastic and interior cleaner, and I was so tired that night, I didn't dress the interior. The next day it was exactly like you are describing. I just got my interior kit in today, and I am going to try what other's recommended, then use the kit. Hopefully that works. Let me know what you come up with. Dave

EDIT: As far as the steamer, I have one too and was going to try it. If you do, let me know what you come up with and I will do the same.

Least aggressive method first in this case too. Try a 50/50 APC mix first, then move up to full strength APC, if needed.

:iagree: Full strength L&I cleaner or APC might be too "hot" for softer rubber/vinyl. I never tried the hot water vinegar trick, it could be worth a try.

Update: What I thought was a soft vinyl was actually build up of the stickiness. The only thing that made a dent in it was L&IC full strength. I had to spray, let it sit for 5-10 minutes then scrub with toothbrush then wipe. I did this multiple times. Everything else I tried would just smear the stickiness around. I had over an hour in trying to clean this console.

I finally surrendered. It looked better when I got done but wasn't 100% clean. I mentioned it to the owner and he said he thought it was from the vinyl deteriorating. I told him if he wanted me to try again I would but I would have to charge by the hour. He was very pleased with the way everything turned out and said it'll be fine.

I have '99 Accord also, and mine is currently in the "sticky" state. Shall I say I used a car manufacturer's plastic and interior cleaner, and I was so tired that night, I didn't dress the interior. The next day it was exactly like you are describing. I just got my interior kit in today, and I am going to try what other's recommended, then use the kit. Hopefully that works. Let me know what you come up with. Dave

EDIT: As far as the steamer, I have one too and was going to try it. If you do, let me know what you come up with and I will do the same.

Steamer wouldn't touch it. Just smeared around. I didn't have any vinegar, you could try that. The only thing that halfway worked is what I listed in the post before this one.

Archived