Customer Service 866.965.0400

thought on clay

Fit08

Question

Just wondering what the collective experience is here.

While most of us know about the baggie test, this leads me to a question.

I've seen in the videos where if the clay glides over the paint very smoothly like, then this is good. I from experience, have then used the baggie test on to find what I call very small drag (best description) and yet more clay and pessure will not change that area. And no pits in area.

17 answers to this question

Thanks Chris. Did you strip the wax off before claying? I'm wondering just how necessary this is. It seems that the clay would remove any remaining wax, so why bother with the Dawn or IPA thing. I'm hooked on using the DS as a lubricant, but seems like diluted WW or shampoo would work too.

My car was corrected and one coat of MSS was applied in March. Since then, I washed it ONCE at a coin opp to remove some of the dirt, but hadn't hand washed it since March. So, using the coin op soap is a great wax remover. I used it again yesterday. Pre-soak and all! :willy: I went home, and foamed and washed as usual and clayed it all. When I fix the chips in the hood, I'll remove the MSS with ISPA and then restart.

So YES, if you just waxed it, ISPA is a great way to remove it. If it's been a while and you've used a coin op like me, then it's probably not necessary.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Did you strip the wax off before claying? I'm wondering just how necessary this is. It seems that the clay would remove any remaining wax, so why bother with the Dawn or IPA thing. I'm hooked on using the DS as a lubricant, but seems like diluted WW or shampoo would work too.

"Marring" I'm not talking about scratches ..... more like dull smudges. Like you used to get on paper with a pink pencil eraser, only in the case of the clay just a plain dull smudge in the paint. Is this clay? What is this? Please clarify "detail scientists".:help:

It's due to using clay and is normal.

Like Eric said, follow up with FMP and it'll look great again!

I did mine yesterday, but did it right after washing while wet. I used a dilution of water and adams shampoo as lube along with the water on the car. :)

Mine looked pretty good this AM in the sun. It needs FMP'd, but it'll wait until a week before the national G8 meet on Sept. 9th.

Chris

Micro marring from claying are very very light scratches that come from the rubbing of the clay. These are often tough to see because they're usually very light but are easily removed from the polish process. You figure rubbing something on the paint has potential for leaving marks. Claying even with the lubricant has a very minimal abrasion potential.

"Marring" I'm not talking about scratches ..... more like dull smudges. Like you used to get on paper with a pink pencil eraser, only in the case of the clay just a plain dull smudge in the paint. Is this clay? What is this? Please clarify "detail scientists".:help:

Well yesterday I clayed PART of the SS, I say part because I ran out of time. Being white I see a lot more in the paint than any other colors. I did a panel, baggy test and its smooth but I still see rail dust spots so I go over it again and again till its gone. So clay does a lot even when you cant feel the difference.

:drool: I love clay! Whoever invented it was pure genius. Can someone tell me what marring is, however? I have a couple "skid marks" on my Mustang. Dull areas of paint. Is this residue from the clay? I think it will come out with FMP on a rag but the area is so small and barely noticeable I've left it alone till the next full detail.:(

Micro marring from claying are very very light scratches that come from the rubbing of the clay. These are often tough to see because they're usually very light but are easily removed from the polish process. You figure rubbing something on the paint has potential for leaving marks. Claying even with the lubricant has a very minimal abrasion potential.

I recently clayed the entire vehicle but due to circumstances was not able to complete the polishing, so I just tossed on a coat of Americana as protection.

I can see the micro marring on the unpolished finish on top of the rear door when the sun reflects off of it just right, this area it is most noticeable as one of the areas that I had to rework a bit (several clay passes to get it smooth). BUT - that level of micro marring will come right out with the PC, no issues. (the other area of micro marring was on the hood, but I had enough time to work the hood with FMP/white pad. That micro marring probably would not be very noticeable on a silver or other lighter metallic finish as much, but it can be easily seen on solid black. I need to get some polisher time over this holiday weekend!

:drool: I love clay! Whoever invented it was pure genius. Can someone tell me what marring is, however? I have a couple "skid marks" on my Mustang. Dull areas of paint. Is this residue from the clay? I think it will come out with FMP on a rag but the area is so small and barely noticeable I've left it alone till the next full detail.:(

clay, check with the baggie, reclay and recheck as necessary.

Last weekend I had to do several clay passes on my hood to get some of that junk off in a couple of spots. I don't lean on the clay as some do, just wipe back and forth with light to moderate pressure, keeping the surface nice and wet with DS.

Archived