Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC lefts marks in paint

Indyjc

Question

I'm sure it's operator error. Black 09 Silverado, wash, clay,fmp,smw. I know black shows everthing but I did notice marks in the paint. Not all over just in spots. I am wondering if I put to much pressure or maybe tilted the pc while working the polish. Has anyone done this so maybe you can tell me what I've done wrong so I won't do it again. And how do I fix it. Btw truck looks great. Thanks John

21 answers to this question

A black car is God's way of saying we are never going to be perfect like those silver or white cars look. But we keep trying to perfect ourselves and the image that our Black cars or trucks show us to be or something like that, I need a beer, lol.

OK, good. Just checking. Theres been many a time where people have described what you said and it turns out they put it on really thick, then tried to wipe it off right away, ignoring the directions.

You were probably OK with your time, but it doesn't hurt to go longer when its really humid. For a thin application in humid conditions I go closer to 45 minutes. Waiting longer won't hurt anything.

Being that we eliminated that mistake my guess is you likely just went too heavy on the product. It really doesn't take much... you want a VERY VERY VERY thin application.

This might seem obvious, but it wouldn't be the first time....

How long did you allow the MSS to cure before removing?

I believe the bottle says 20 mins. or more if humid. It was VERY humid. I left it on around 30 mins. My wife has the truck at work right now, can't wait for her to get home to see it in the sun lite. Dylan do you think I left the product to long or not long enough? Thanks again John

mbreyer-oscillating hologram is what it looks like. I believe I got it all off tonight(90 degrees in the garage)with ds and a lot of rubbing.

randyfox-I use about 3 pea sized drops and a spritz of ds.

texn884-you are so right

kdii02-the marks appeared after the MSW and the mf towel was new.

The truck looks great right now sitting in the garage, and of course it's getting ready to storm.

I used the pc on my sons neglected black Silverado and it turned out great. No issues at all.

Thanks again.

This might seem obvious, but it wouldn't be the first time....

How long did you allow the MSS to cure before removing?

Yep! MSS can be a BEAR to remove sometimes. The positive is it lasts a long time. I've put on 5 coats over two vehicles in the last 6 weeks. My arms are about to fall off! lol I use some WCW and a polishing towel and spray the towel slightly to increase the friction which aids in the removal of the stubborn MSS.

On to Americana and BG now... lol

My guess - Maybe keep the pad moving across the surface of the paint as you remove the polisher - less buildup in one spot, and wipe down promptly as per the bottle. Plus, put it on really thin - it doesn't take much product to get the results. A bottle of this stuff will last quite a while.

mbreyer-oscillating hologram is what it looks like. I believe I got it all off tonight(90 degrees in the garage)with ds and a lot of rubbing.

randyfox-I use about 3 pea sized drops and a spritz of ds.

texn884-you are so right

kdii02-the marks appeared after the MSW and the mf towel was new.

The truck looks great right now sitting in the garage, and of course it's getting ready to storm.

I used the pc on my sons neglected black Silverado and it turned out great. No issues at all.

Thanks again.

Had the same issue, DS resolved it:thumbsup:. It was leftover polish probly where i stopped the machine and it just took a little more to wipe off. Kinda looked like an oscillating hologram. Black paint is a pain, i have started to do the usual then walk around with a DS wipedown, another DS spot treatment, then i change towels, do another DS spot treatment, apply svrt to where needed, and then do another walk around with DS and a new towel. Yet still there is always some random lint, polish, spots, and new scratches( this weeks scratches brought to you by my buddies kids on july 4th, I'm sitting there watching the city fireworks and i hear the little girl say "breyer look hands". To my surprise she's rubbing my paint:mad:

I just did a full correction the weekend before and now have fine scratches down my panel.

How much product are you using? Every once in a while when MSW begins to build up on the pad it will do that. I since began using less and simply spraying DS on the pad in between applications instead of more MSW and that seemed to alleviate the issue. Of course, you still have to apply more MSW after a couple passes, but this helps with residue marks and saves product.

I'm sure it's operator error. Black 09 Silverado, wash, clay,fmp,smw. I know black shows everthing but I did notice marks in the paint. Not all over just in spots. I am wondering if I put to much pressure or maybe tilted the pc while working the polish. Has anyone done this so maybe you can tell me what I've done wrong so I won't do it again. And how do I fix it. Btw truck looks great. Thanks John

When you say marks, do ya mean Swirls or something else? Did you use any of SSR or SHR in the process before FMP? Were there marks in the paint after FMP or MSS? just wondering if maybe you had any contaminants on your microfiber cloths when you did your final wipe down too.

I did my Black truck last week with the whole process and it looked awesome at the time, but I do see some spots I need to go over again now. When all else fails maybe try a wipedown in that spot with Alcohol and redo with FMP and MSS. If its swirled then SHR/FMP/MSS and then BG and a Coat of Americana if you have it. Black is evil!!! :)

Chris05GTO YOU THE MAN! Problem solved! Had to borrow some elbow grease, had to do some rubbing but I couldn't wait till after supper to try and fix it. This is my second time using the pc and I've had very good results. Thanks again! John

Thank you sir! I will try this after dinner. This will bug me till I get it fixed. Thanks again.

Let us know how it goes, i'm sure that you didn't do anything bad with the PC.. the only way to hurt the car is to go stupid crazy, or drop the PC on the car. :pc::pc:

Thanks for the quick replies. Not very good with the picture thing yet. Took some pics but the angle and light has to be right to notice. it appears to be residual product but I've tried with the mf towel till my arm is numb, it just doesn't won't to come out. I might try to go over those spots again with MSW. Thanks again for the replies, you guys are great! This just kinda bugs me I haven't had a new truck since 86. Once again the product is not at fault, I'm still learning.

Archived