Customer Service 866.965.0400

Chrome wheel care

kchisarik

Question

I have these rims newly installed, they say "Chrome Plated" in the description, so does that mean metal polishing?

I hear some chrome rims are clearcoated, do you know how I can tell if these are, TireRack is clueless as to answers to these questions.

What would your cleaning/maintenance be for these?

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=wheelCloseUp&wheelMake=Sport+Muscle&wheelModel=Tach&wheelFinish=Chrome+Plated

TIA

12 answers to this question

Ok thanks, how does one go about applying that stuff to rims with all those little nooks and crannies?

MF towel and some Q-tips? or is there a method and/or tool I need to get aquainted with?

Thanks. I do hope to someday know enough to actually answer questions, but for now I have to just ask and I appreciate everyones help.

On a side note, I let my wife drive the car today to go on a "spa day" with her sisters, first time she has driven it and it came back with curb scratches on a tire!!!!!!!!!!!! (could have been a lot worse, looks like she was about an 1/8th of an inch from my new chrome....)

For those of you that are married, do you "let" your wife drive your baby?

Ok thanks, how does one go about applying that stuff to rims with all those little nooks and crannies?

MF towel and some Q-tips? or is there a method and/or tool I need to get aquainted with?

Thanks. I do hope to someday know enough to actually answer questions, but for now I have to just ask and I appreciate everyones help.

On a side note, I let my wife drive the car today to go on a "spa day" with her sisters, first time she has driven it and it came back with curb scratches on a tire!!!!!!!!!!!! (could have been a lot worse, looks like she was about an 1/8th of an inch from my new chrome....)

For those of you that are married, do you "let" your wife drive your baby?

Haha, welcome man. Let me answer the most important question first. My wife doesn't drive my RS because I played it smart, she can't drive stick. Plus, she know's how I am, and would be scared to drive it;)

I'd have to see a picture of your wheels to see how intricate they are. I use adams for pretty much every step of the detailing process because they are far superior to anything out there, but they don't have applications for everything. For wheel polishing try finger applicators, MF gloves, Adams Utility towel's, buffersticks or those polishing things that fit in the drill from the lesser companies :(.

The easiest way to tell if there is a clear coat is to hit them with metal polish. If you get a black residue, you are working with bare chrome, keep polishing! If no residue, you have clearcoat, use Adam's Revive Polish to restore luster.

Like mentioned above, protect with a good sealant. BG really makes chrome wheels pop!

Where in NJ are you? I am in Doylestown and can demo and test any products for you, prior to purchase.

Archived