Customer Service 866.965.0400

Brilliant Glaze question

Vincenzo

Question

So I just got stripes on my car last week, and I was very excited to see it all shined up with Adams. I washed, threw on a coat of Americana, and then spread some BG all over. When I finished BG'ing my stripes, my MF had blue all over it! I was even more confused, because I had washed it, hit it with some DS, then waxed with Americana, and no blue came off at all until I used BG. The stripes seem not to be discolored at all and are actually quite shiny, but it still kind of freaked me out.

So basically, I applied Brilliant Glaze to my stripes, and some blue came off in the towel. Should I be worried about this? No blue seemed to come off on the Americana app or during washing, but I am still kind of worried about it. Thanks!

15 answers to this question

BG does contain a solvent... so its possible if the type of vinyl is delicate it could pull some pigment up. Its also possible that the stripe was just slightly oxidized and the 'dead' vinyl was removed by the glaze... hard to say for sure.

Best advice would be to be cautious with how you use BG on the stripes and stick more to just waxing them to keep them protected.

I hit the cyber grey rally stripes on My Camaro all the time with brilliant glaze and never had the grey transfer to the towel. Are your stripes matte or gloss? Also are your stripes factory or aftermarket?

Here are some pics of my stripes after brilliant glaze. The first is after a rain storm here in SL,UT and the second is at a car show at the Brighton Ski Resort.

They are gloss, and aftermarket. What I am really confused on is how I applied a nice layer of Americana before the BG and it still transferred.

The stripes on my front bumper have to be re-applied anyways due to the edge pulling up on one (glad I noticed) so I will ask to keep the extra vinyl and do some tests. That will be next week though. I will apply many layers of BG, will polish with FMP/SHR, and will just generally see how each product affects the stripes.

remember BG should go on before Americana as it contains solvents hence the americana will not last as long as usual.

I know. I plan on putting on a second coat of Americana as soon as it stops raining, actually. I just love brilliant glaze!

No but srs, I think it is my favorite product.

No but srs, I think it is my favorite product.

I love the way it smells! :willy:

Last night I went out to the garage just to pull the cover off the vette and clean the hood and reglaze and wax so that I could smell it again and have some therapy time! :help:

I love the way it smells! :willy:

Last night I went out to the garage just to pull the cover off the vette and clean the hood and reglaze and wax so that I could smell it again and have some therapy time! :help:

I like the way it smells too, but have you noticed that if it sits out in the hot garage for a little while it gets a butane-smell to it? Thats fine, because I like that smell as well, but my parents weren't too happy about it.

What is that smell?

I think there might be a gas leak over by the shelves

I'm calling the gas leak guy

Mom! No, don't. It's just the Adams stuff. See?

I don't like that Ian. I told you it was a waste of money.

:lol:

They are gloss, and aftermarket. What I am really confused on is how I applied a nice layer of Americana before the BG and it still transferred.

Just a guess here but I think the solvents in the BG just wiped the Americana right off. The Americana probably didn't adhere too well to the stripes. Did you wash the stripes first ?

Just a guess here but I think the solvents in the BG just wiped the Americana right off. The Americana probably didn't adhere too well to the stripes. Did you wash the stripes first ?

Yep! Full 2 bucket wash, as always. Going to try some claybarring on some extra vinyl to see if it removes the color or if there is just like a top layer of stuff that needs to come off.

Archived