Customer Service 866.965.0400

need a powered subwoofer

J Tegeler

Well my surround that I put together 9 years ago went out last night :( I got a new Yamaha reciever and RCA front and rear speakers, now I just need a powered sub, anyone have any that they like? just need about 100 watts or so..price is a fector to I need to save some money for Adams lol

Yeah I have been looking at Yamaha and Klipsch..I am in an apartment so I dont want to wake everyone up at night lol

Klipsch isn't bad... B&W is good too. Home Theatre, iPod & Hi-Fi Speakers - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W

I always buy the best I can afford. Don't fall for marketing schemes. Listen to them and decide.

My parents have the 12" Klipsch Reference series sub (4+ years old) and it is awesome, but not cheap. If you are just wanting 'a little something extra' then a 10" will do you ok and you can get some for $200 or less. It takes a 12" or larger to really start getting the true depth from a sub, especially if you have a large room.

Mine is a custom built 1500rms 15" in a 8 cubic foot ported box tuned to 18Hz. Needless to say it hits the low notes with a ton of headroom to spare. :2thumbs:

yours truly is in the business, I have recently (well last year) taken on the episode speaker line and their subs and speakers are Amazing!!!

Episode Speakers

Episode Speakers - Subwoofers

Episode Speakers - Episode C3-Series 150 Watt 10 in. Powered Subwoofer

also, velodyne has just went consumer direct:rolleyes:

Velodyne

IMHO, episode competes with totem, martin Logan etc. A subwoofer is a HUGE part of your surround sound system, that is one area where you do not want to cheap out on, after the receiver of course.

My parents have the 12" Klipsch Reference series sub (4+ years old) and it is awesome, but not cheap. If you are just wanting 'a little something extra' then a 10" will do you ok and you can get some for $200 or less. It takes a 12" or larger to really start getting the true depth from a sub, especially if you have a large room.

Mine is a custom built 1500rms 15" in a 8 cubic foot ported box tuned to 18Hz. Needless to say it hits the low notes with a ton of headroom to spare. :2thumbs:

Why tuned all the way down to 18Hz? I am MECP for car audio, but when I get in to home audio I dont know quite as much so all help is appreciated guys!

With cost as a factor you can get one of the smaller Polk subs at a Best Buy, that will keep the cost down until you get out of an apartment. I just got a PSW110, $250, to hold me over until I buy a new system for the holidays. You can get the PSW10 for under $200 when on sale.

Santa never gets me anything good for Christmas so I'll be buying an Axiom Epic 80 system from me to me :D

how do you like the polk Bill? I did check those out, I do a lot of gaming and just tv show and movie watching.

It does a decent job, but I have it in a 20x22 room. I've always liked Polk, they just sound great to my ear. Different speakers sound different to different people. It is one of those things you really need to hear before you buy.

With cost as a factor you can get one of the smaller Polk subs at a Best Buy, that will keep the cost down until you get out of an apartment. I just got a PSW110, $250, to hold me over until I buy a new system for the holidays. You can get the PSW10 for under $200 when on sale.

Santa never gets me anything good for Christmas so I'll be buying an Axiom Epic 80 system from me to me :D

Man, Just get a set of Martin Logans or Totem Rainmakers, if your going to spend 3-4k you might as well spend 10-12k:lolsmack:

Polk makes nice subs too. I havent installed a PSW10 in a while, when i did "budget" systems I would always pair them with a Denon AVR and it sounded great for what it was:thumbsup:

Why tuned all the way down to 18Hz? I am MECP for car audio, but when I get in to home audio I dont know quite as much so all help is appreciated guys!

With ported enclosures there is little response below its tuned frequency and since home theater has a lot of very low frequency content (explosions and the like) having a combo that will go that low definitely helps in the experience. Your ears can't hear it, but you can feel it.

I also have a large living room with a large 'dead space' in a corner so I could fit it, so I did :D

Man, Just get a set of Martin Logans or Totem Rainmakers, if your going to spend 3-4k you might as well spend 10-12k:lolsmack:

I need to watch my pennies, my job moves to North Carolina at the end of 2013 and I have no intention of going with it :D:D

With ported enclosures there is little response below its tuned frequency and since home theater has a lot of very low frequency content (explosions and the like) having a combo that will go that low definitely helps in the experience. Your ears can't hear it, but you can feel it.

I also have a large living room with a large 'dead space' in a corner so I could fit it, so I did :D

ported boxes really drop off after it tuned Hz I know that from car audio lol, so makes sence why you went down to 18, feeling the rumble is always fun!

Archived