Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flex issues

Tundra5-0

Question

I bought my Flex at Carlisle. I used it for the 1st time yesterday and it was doing great. As I was finishing the car it stopped working. Then after letting it sit for a while it worked again and after a short polish stopped working again. This seems to an Intermittent problem. Has anyone had this problem? Is it heat? I'm using a 50ft 12ga cord and I never had a problem with my P.C.

P.S. for the time it worked, it worked great! :help:

13 answers to this question

I would guess that it was shutting down to save itself. These bad boys get HOT!!! Dylan has gone as far as putting it in a cooler with ice packs to cool it down while he did something else. I did our Enclave and didn't have an issue, but the ambient temps weren't bad either.

Chris

I believe they do shutdown to protect the motor if it gets too hot but I have no idea what that temp is. Do you have any place to try it with a shorter cord for awhile just to see if it still does it ?

I used mine for a good solid 5 hours yesterday. It definitely gets hot, but I was also using a 15 foot 10 gauge cord that I made specifically for the Flex. No problems as of yet. I'd definitely try a smaller cord (length), but your gauge is fine.

I used mine to do my G8 with FMP yesterday, and am still amazed how hot it gets. It gets hot enough that I can't touch the housing right above the pad for more than a second or two.

Mine worked flawlessly yesterday though.

Chris

Just returned from 5 days in Reno where we buffed on cars from 8am - 9pm each day in a parking lot, in direct sun, with temps hovering north of 95* and didn't have a either of the 2 flex's or 2 PC's we were using ever have any issues other than being REALLY hot to the touch. If that wouldn't cause them to fail then nothing will!

If yours is shutting down and you're sure the cord is the appropriate gauge call us so we can arrange for a warranty exchange. That would definitely indicate something being out of the ordinary or defective.

I would guess that it was shutting down to save itself. These bad boys get HOT!!! Dylan has gone as far as putting it in a cooler with ice packs to cool it down while he did something else. I did our Enclave and didn't have an issue, but the ambient temps weren't bad either.

Chris

You need to convince me I need a flex by seeing yours in action sometime lol. Maybe some weekend there will be a car show we both attend.

We'll get this figured out right away Jeff! Like Dylan said, we use two Flexs at Carlisle Events, in the direct heat and even though they get hot, they keep rockin! Cord length is a really important issue. We'll be in touch!

OK I have only been able to use it once to the weather. I will see how it does next time.

Archived