Customer Service 866.965.0400

SHR or FMP

TR6speed

Question

Tomorrow I will be finishing up the detail, on my car for a show this weekend. My question is I plan to clay the car first (did the baggy test), but I have a few places that I can see some fine scratches when the light hits them just right. I was planning on doing the complete car with Fine Machine Polish followed by a coat of Super glaze and than a coat of Americana. Should I rethink this and go with the Swirl and Haze Remover prior to the FMP?

The reason I ask, I read that using SHR regularly can remove the clearcoat . Now with that said my Vette is not a daily driver and only gets a full complete detait rwice a year. The scratches are not swirls or at least what I consider swirls and there is no hazing in my paint. Will the FMP correct this issues or will it take both SHR as well as the FMP?

10 answers to this question

Best way to proceed... test an area.

Hit a 2ft x 2ft section with FMP and see where it gets you. If you like the result you have your answer, if not then you'll need to do SHR first and finish with FMP before going to BG and Americana.

Try to do the test on an area that best represents the condition of the whole car... don't go testing on an area thats better than the rest b/c your results won't be the same elsewhere.

As far as the removal of clear coat... not a concern... it would take hundreds and hundreds of times polishing with the PC and HSR to get to the point where you'd be at any level of concern about it.

Thanks Dylan. I was thinking on those lines, and was going to try the FMP first on the area of the fine scratches to see if that would do the trick. My concern was the constant (twice a year) use of the SHR.

And post up some pics when done!

I am done and it is Adams Show ready. Pictures tomorrow from the show. Right now it is in the garage covered. It is a great venue located on the St Pete Pier. They will have about 110 Corvette's lining the pier that is located in St Petersburg Florida and the pier is on Tampa Bay.

Have fun at the show! I went last year, but this year, I'll be up in Daytona at another venue. Good luck.

Mike I will see you next month at Dimmitt for our show and I will be getting with you on an order you can bring to the show if that is alright.

Jack looking forward to seeing the finished product and some photos of your Corvette and others in St. Pete.

I plan on getting a few just about sunrise tomorrow at a place a group of us will be meeting at to caravan on in to the show and than a bunch at the show. I can get some great shot there, because the Pier has a four story building that we park the cars around with roof top access.

Archived