Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Canopies, What to Use?

Luken10

Question

Hey guys, being that I live in Southern California it is sunny just about all of the time. Which is great weather wise, but a pain when I am washing or detailing. I can't use the garage in the house because it is set up for recreational use so I have just been using the driveway. However the driveway is directly in the sun. I have borrowed a couple ez ups and set them up from time to time, but at certain times of the day half the car is still in the sun because of the angle.

Here is a picture of the set up from a few months ago. Just a cell phone pic, sorry for the bad angle, but it gives you an idea.

img20110727182238g.jpg

So my question to you guys is, what would you use (or already using if in the same situation)? I have been trying to find something that won't break the budget, is large enough for my car, very easy to quickly set up and has a side panel/tarp/cover in order to block all of the sun. Haven't really found much though. Any input is appreciated though! :)

14 answers to this question

10 ft. x 20 ft. Portable Car Canopy

i got one of these went in for a tarp and found this for only 65 bucks some special it was cheaper than buying a tarp works fairly well for something made in china but had to do something about this heat in socal

but by no means is this thing portable.. takes a while to set up so i just have mine always on the side of my house where i have water and electricity

10 ft. x 20 ft. Portable Car Canopy

i got one of these went in for a tarp and found this for only 65 bucks some special it was cheaper than buying a tarp works fairly well for something made in china but had to do something about this heat in socal

but by no means is this thing portable.. takes a while to set up so i just have mine always on the side of my house where i have water and electricity

That is definitely the right size, but for me it has to be portable. If i could just find one like that that will assemble in a short amount of time then I was thinking putting 2 of these on one side since it would be 20 feet long rather than 10. Heck maybe even just tie a blue tarp on the side, i just need to keep the sun off my car!:willy:

Hey randy I looked up the manual to the canopy you bought and it seems almost manageable to put up in 10-20 minutes. Would you say that is true? Especially if you were to be setting it up and disassembling it often so one should become quicker at doing it. Or is it simply just a pain regardless of how many times you were to do it? I was thinking about just getting this because it seems decent for the price and then tying a tarp around one side for total shade.

no its a royal pain. and the instructions are horrible. If you had 2 people doing id say min of 30 mins to be honest unless they changed some things but with how mine went together just getting the tarp on is a 20 min thing i put mine together myself and it took a while like 1-2 hours. so if you have a spot that you can keep it great if not id get 2 10x10 easy ups

I've been extremely happy with my EZ Up Speed Shelter II.

8ft x 12ft is big enough for most cars, I can set it up in under 5 minutes by myself, and break it down just as fast.

You can buy sidewalls for them if you need it to block certain angles during the day... you can also easily drop 2 of the legs so it sits at an angle to provide shade when the sun is low in the sky.

One thing I can't stress enough - GET THE WEIGHTS!! A good gust of unexpected wind will send it dragging right across the car. The weights are very important.

I've been seeing 8'x10' canopies in the ads lately for a hundred bucks.....marketed as "tailgate sized to fit in a parking space". While it might be smaller than ideal for detailing, they are 'instant-up'. I checked one out in the store (folded up, not opened), and it was very mobile. Although light weight isn't always a good thing.

I'll have to look into that 8'x12' EZ up that Dylan mentioned.....

I have a 10 X 20 that I got online for $200, but you can always lash two 10 X 10's together.

I think I am leaning towards the two 8 x 10's now just because of affordability, quality and the portable factor. Is the 10 x 20 you have easily set up just like an EZ Up would be?

I am looking at possibly getting two of these. Seems like a good deal and one person in the comments says that you can use some cheap side screen from a different company on them. Which sounds like exactly what i need! :banana:

I think I am leaning towards the two 10 x 10's now just because of affordability, quality and the portable factor. Is the 10 x 20 you have easily set up just like an EZ Up would be?

I am looking at possibly getting two of these. Seems like a good deal and one person in the comments says that you can use some cheap side screen from a different company on them. Which sounds like exactly what i need! :banana:

One person can do it, but it's a lot easier if you have a second person. I think 2 8X10's would be perfect. If I was to do it again I would probably go that route.

EDIT! Here's a couple of good weight sets:

Happifeet Weight Systems

Stackable cast iron weights for canopies and tents | Eaton Canopy Weights

Archived