Customer Service 866.965.0400

Getting my PC, some questions...

jbizzle

Question

I'm an amateur when it comes to detailing, and I should be receiving my Porter Cable within the next few days and I just had some questions before I actually use it.

1. 3 different type of polishes came with the PC (SSHR,SHR,FMP), do I start off using the SHR then go to the SSHR if necessary? I'm sure the paint on my car has never been corrected so its in pretty rough shape right now.

2. When I am working on the same panel, how do I know I have worked the polish enough, and when should I add more polish? I am supposed to add an "X" of polish to the pad on each and every panel, right?

3. The PC is fine going around edges and humps right? This is my first time ever using a polisher and I do not want to ruin my paint doing so.

Those are all my questions for now, if I have anymore I'll ask. Any other tips/suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

10 answers to this question

1) you bet, s tart with SHR and bump up to the green if needed always starting with the least agressive.

2) you will know that you have worked the product long enough when it "flashes" it will turn pretty much clear. I usually add a tiny drop of polish each panel and mist it with DS

3) The PC will do just fine around edges and body lines, dont have to worry about burning the paint up

Just have fun using it the ifrst few times, you will get more of a feel for the polish adding and such as you go. ando f course post up some pictures for us

1. 3 different type of polishes came with the PC (SSHR,SHR,FMP), do I start off using the SHR then go to the SSHR if necessary? I'm sure the paint on my car has never been corrected so its in pretty rough shape right now.

Start with the least aggressive method first, it may only need FMP! Tape off a 2' x 2' area that is representative of the overall condition of the paint - a spot on the hood or trunk should do. Start with FMP and see how it looks to you, Satisfied, then put down your protection. Not satisfied, then move to SHR, check again. Try a couple passes of SHR before moving to the SSR. Work at area until you are happy with the results. Now you have a plan for the rest of the car. Be mindful of pressure and pace.

2. When I am working on the same panel, how do I know I have worked the polish enough, and when should I add more polish? I am supposed to add an "X" of polish to the pad on each and every panel, right?

The polish should change to a Vaseline consistancy. If possible work inside, as it can be hard to see this change outside.

You will work in 2'x2' section, not an entire panel. After initially priming the pad with the 'X', you should only need to add 2-3 pea size dots to the pad. As some point the pad will only need to be sprayed with DS to reactivate the polish. Hit that section, and add more polish for the next section.

3. The PC is fine going around edges and humps right? This is my first time ever using a polisher and I do not want to ruin my paint doing so.

The PC will not ruin your paint unless you drop it on the car!

It should be fine on the edges, but don't apply lots of pressure in those areas. If you are unsure, go over those spots by hand.

You may want to tape off emblems to keep the pads from being torn, and tape black trim to keep the pads clean.

The best way to learn is to work on one panel and perfect that panel, even if it takes several days. That way you get your technique down and don't waste product and time doing the whole car, then doing it over again a few weeks later!

Okay got some more questions... Can I polish my wheels to using the same techniques to the paint? They are powder coated...

Also, I didn't order MSS, all I have is the 3 polishes that come with the PC and buttery wax. I'm going to start off with SHR and then see if i need to use SSHR or just go to FMP after that. But how do I know when to switch products???

the ait will be worth it I promise you that, start with a 2X2 test area on the good..start with SHR and do a pass with that untill the product flashes then move on to FMP and work untill it flashes. after those 2 I would remove the product and inspect the paint under some GOOD light. if you are happy with the results do the rest of the TBSS in the same fashion. if you feel it could use some more love maybe another pass of SHR or even SSHR followed by FMP again

Archived