Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bed Rail Dilemma!?!?!

Kingsford

I bought a new Colorado this weekend and I am having some trouble deciding on something so I thought I’d ask you guys. I really like how my F150 had the plastic bed rail covers from the factory but as you know Chevy does not do that. So I am at a cross road here….

:help:

My options:

1. Buy bed rail caps (don’t know where to find good ones or what a good brand would be)

a. Pros: Protects and looks good

b. Cons: My dad had them and they wouldn’t stick on good and left scratches on the side of the truck.

2. When I get my bed liner sprayed in have them spray the tops of the rails

a. Pros: Doesn’t look so bad and protects extremely well. My dad did his like this.

b. Cons: I don’t know if it will fade and look like crap. I also don’t know if SVRT will make it look better.

3. Get a soft tonneau cover that goes over the rails.

a. Pros: Protects

b. Cons: Had a friend tell me his would peal back in the wind when he had one like that.

Any advice would really help. What would you guys do? The truck is black with a chrome packages just to give you an idea of looks.

050f33f6.jpg

i have mine sprayed on the rails as well and it shines like any other plastic when vrt is applied. and i think its the best option.

edit: mine was sprayed back in 2006 and it still looks good even without vrt. it also sits outside 24/7 no garage time.

i have mine sprayed on the rails as well and it shines like any other plastic when vrt is applied. and i think its the best option.

edit: mine was sprayed back in 2006 and it still looks good even without vrt. it also sits outside 24/7 no garage time.

Can you take a pic?

Can you take a pic?

well i just recently put vrt on mine. i will clean one area and let it dry and take a pic of treated and un-treated 5 year old spray liner on the rails.

edit: ill do it in the morning

I just went through the same situation as you are. I wanted to cover up some existing dings and scratches but didnt want the bedliner to take away from the truck. I decided to go on the rails with it, but went up pretty high so it wouldn't be noticeable. I also picked a bedliner company that had a darker richer color than say a linex. It also has the full warranty, but also warranties against fade. Not sure on durability since I just got it but I love the shiny black color, and its suppose to stay that way. The brand was Superliner and my local gmc dealer installs it. Heres some pics. They don't do it justice, the shiny color didn't come through in these pics.

IMG_0743.jpg

IMG_0744.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

Go with Line-X. Like stated above you can make it look good with SVRT. Plus they give you a lifetime warranty with it. I've hauled several motors in mine. It got scratched up and is a little faded and stained and my buddies back home resprayed it for free. Just something to look into :D

I've had line-x on my truck since 1997 with NO ISSUES! I'd also suggest you have them spray UNDER the rear wheel wells if they're not currently coated. That was HUGE on my F-150.

Do the bed rails... SVRT makes the stuff POP!

I've had line-x on my truck since 1997 with NO ISSUES! I'd also suggest you have them spray UNDER the rear wheel wells if they're not currently coated. That was HUGE on my F-150.

Do the bed rails... SVRT makes the stuff POP!

Great idea!

I'd also suggest you have them spray UNDER the rear wheel wells if they're not currently coated. That was HUGE on my F-150.

They are going to do undercoating too, however the rear wheel wells have plastic caps in them like the front of the truck. HELLLLLLLLLO Undercarriage Spray!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a colorado too, the factory bed liner fit so poorly that from it sliding around for a few months it took the paint on the tailgate and front rail down to bare metal. :willy:

So I had the Line-X sprayed over the rail. I asked the guy to keep it high on the sides and to drop it down to cover the damage on the tailgate. It came out pretty nice. :thumbsup:

DSC04177.jpg

DSC04181.jpg

With soft tonneau:

DSC04295.jpg

I had mine done for $490 out the door, and I have the bigger 6' bed. Call around for a better price.

BTW, Check out 355nation.net Chevrolet Colorado & GMC Canyon Forum Its a colorado/ canyon forum. Lots of good info and good people.

Call around? There's only one place around me that does it and its 70 miles away!

Archived