Customer Service 866.965.0400

flex question

LowNslo

Question

In my comparison thread dylan mentioned that he still uses the pc for just upkeep and small correction. Does the pc actually leave a better finish on the car?

example: I have a gt mustang with new paint (2 months old). The owner started to see some smaller swirls and things the body shop missed like some wet sanding parts that weren't buffed back out. I told him I could take care of most of this. I am however having a problem getting it fully corrected to the point of no micro swirls. Am I expecting too much? Its way better than before, but still not perfect like I want it to be.

He and I went over proper washing technique and the supplies he will need to maintain the work I am doing, but in my eyes its not coming out like I think it should. I was using the flex because some of the heavier spots needed the extra power. Should i step to the PC to FMP and see if the slower non forced rotation will help?

11 answers to this question

I guess this will be more of a technique question. While removing the wet sanding marks I was running each pad and polish at speed of 6 with moderate pressure (8-10 lbs). Then I stepped to the FMP and white pad and slowed it down so I wouldn't over work the polish. Is this one way to do it or should I just use speed 6 and keep it moving? Keep in mind, this is the second time I have used the flex coming from the PC and will be the first fmp correction with this machine as well.

on the flex, I back the FMP down to 5 and then backed it up to 4...... I thought because it is so hot here the product was flashing faster than I could "litterally" make one swipe/pass over a 2x2 area. Pad is staying primed and the pad is not clogged..... I think I may step back to the PC for this today because the owner wants perfect and then add a good layer of protection to it!

on the flex, I back the FMP down to 5 and then backed it up to 4...... I thought because it is so hot here the product was flashing faster than I could "litterally" make one swipe/pass over a 2x2 area. Pad is staying primed and the pad is not clogged..... I think I may step back to the PC for this today because the owner wants perfect and then add a good layer of protection to it!

Chris, FMP on the Flex took me a bit to get used to also. No worry...it's a "time with machine" kinda thing. Get your PC out, finish up what you are working on, and look forward to using the Flex with FMP again soon, so you can get some more practice with it.

def going to do that! I have sunday set aside to prep my truck for a huge car show on the coast! Ill be giving it the ole 1-2 haha! Other than the FMP so far, I love everything about the flex! Just a learning curve like with anything else. Thanks for the Help other Chris :)

ok so last night I finished up the mustang I was working on. It turned out really nice. I ended up playing with the flex and getting "in the groove". I did figure out that I was drying the polish out too quickly, even after the pad was primed. I found that I use more DS than with the PC. Is this normal?

thanks for all the help, I am happy with my purchase so far. Now I have some nasty scratches in my tailgate of my truck I will attempt to get out this weekend!!!!!!

More speed = more friction = more heat = faster drying of polishes.

You'll get the hang of it man, just keep playing. While its very similar in concept to how you work with the PC, there are some intricacies that take some time to dial in.

As a little side tip - for refining the finish on some cars the speed of the Flex seems to be a bit much, try backing the speed off a touch more (as mentioned) or throw on a Gray PC pad and do a quick light pressure pass at 5 of Revive.

Archived