Customer Service 866.965.0400

PC or Flex?

chief44

Question

I've hand polished cars all my life, so I'm new to the world of machine polishing. My wife's car ('07 Maxima - black) has a severe amount of swirls in it and thus, hand polishing will never get the job done. My car ('11 Charger) is developing (or developed through the dealership) fine scratches, which isn't making me happy.

I know the 2-bucket wash. I've clayed both cars. I've got tons of Adam's products.

So, for a novice, would it matter in using the PC or Flex? I've watched all of the Junkman's videos, so I have an idea about his technique (I say "idea" because I haven't practiced yet). I like the PC because it's built for a novice, but I want the Flex because of it's rotary action and less time for passing. Couple of questions though:

1. For the PC, how long should I expect to complete a car? For the Flex?

2. Is there any harm if I do the PC process on the entire car mutiple times over several weeks to get all (or most) scratches out? I'm just not certain if I use SHR, Fine Polish, and Buttery Wax on the entire car repeatedly over several weeks if any damage could occur.

3. Are there any specials on getting a PC or Flex?

Insight is appreciated. Love the Adam's line of products!

• Answers 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay...I spent 7 hours, but the wife's DD is finished. I started with the two-bucket wash, clayed the entire car, and began the machine polishing process with the Flex.

Before polishing:

post-5083-136818059862_thumb.jpg

post-5083-13681805987_thumb.jpg

post-5083-136818059875_thumb.jpg

After polishing:

post-5083-13681805988_thumb.jpg

post-5083-136818060114_thumb.jpg

In the post-polishing pics, there is some polish residue and the reflection of my garage ceiling (drywall tape) visible. The pictures didn't come out like I hoped...it looks SO much better in person. The last pic is my favorite, as it shows two drastic paint finishes...the left side reflects Flex polishing and the right side is the car with the swirls. Major difference.

For my first time using the Flex, I was very happy with the results. Her car, while still having some imperfections (still have some swirls left, along with some deep scratches that I don't plan to touch...it's a DD)...looks 100% better and almost like the day she purchased it.

Flex FTW!

Why does the PC have the Hex cut pads and the flex does not??

man after watchig those vids I think its clear for me at least that Im gonna shoot for the flex this Xmas.

For now, the Flex has flat faced pads, as during development, we noticed the Flex was getting too much "traction" on the paint surface, and walking us all over the place!

:2thumbs:

There are currently some things in the works that perhaps will allow one pad to be used for both machines.

Mook

What Mook said is correct.

When we were testing/developing SSR and refining our machine system for the flex we tried the PC style pads first and noticed that b/c of the forced rotation the machine wanted to walk more.

Think of it almost like a tire tread on a wet road... with some tread (PC style) the tire gets traction, but a drag slick (Flex style) won't.

Gotcha, Im still new to adam produtcs and their uses so please forgive the silly questions.

With the Flex are you still able to use the gray pad for the sealant?

Or is that a str8 for PC use only?

What Mook said is correct.

When we were testing/developing SSR and refining our machine system for the flex we tried the PC style pads first and noticed that b/c of the forced rotation the machine wanted to walk more.

Think of it almost like a tire tread on a wet road... with some tread (PC style) the tire gets traction, but a drag slick (Flex style) won't.

Gotcha!

Also I know there is a smaller 4inch pad I think, the yellow one.

Is adams working on retro fitting that to a flex.

There is not a Yellow 4" pad sold any longer.

We offer Green, Orange, and White, to match the big boy pads.

They are currently only available for the PC or on a Clutched Drill.

Mook

Got it.

There is not a Yellow 4" pad sold any longer.

We offer Green, Orange, and White, to match the big boy pads.

They are currently only available for the PC or on a Clutched Drill.

Mook

Gotcha!

Also I know there is a smaller 4inch pad I think, the yellow one.

Is adams working on retro fitting that to a flex.

Can't physically make a 4" pad work with the flex... in this pic you can kind of see why... the function of the machine requires that gear style backing plate, the OD of the plate can't really be any smaller than the gear to function, then you need to allow some overhang for safety.

4iBP_medium.jpg

Can't physically make a 4" pad work with the flex... in this pic you can kind of see why... the function of the machine requires that gear style backing plate, the OD of the plate can't really be any smaller than the gear to function, then you need to allow some overhang for safety.

4iBP_medium.jpg

Overhang? That's what SHE said! :lolsmack:

I think this is a good vid that shows the difference between the Flex and Porter

I've hand polished cars all my life, so I'm new to the world of machine polishing. My wife's car ('07 Maxima - black) has a severe amount of swirls in it and thus, hand polishing will never get the job done. My car ('11 Charger) is developing (or developed through the dealership) fine scratches, which isn't making me happy.

I know the 2-bucket wash. I've clayed both cars. I've got tons of Adam's products.

So, for a novice, would it matter in using the PC or Flex? I've watched all of the Junkman's videos, so I have an idea about his technique (I say "idea" because I haven't practiced yet). I like the PC because it's built for a novice, but I want the Flex because of it's rotary action and less time for passing. Couple of questions though:

1. For the PC, how long should I expect to complete a car? For the Flex?

2. Is there any harm if I do the PC process on the entire car mutiple times over several weeks to get all (or most) scratches out? I'm just not certain if I use SHR, Fine Polish, and Buttery Wax on the entire car repeatedly over several weeks if any damage could occur.

3. Are there any specials on getting a PC or Flex?

Insight is appreciated. Love the Adam's line of products!

I have the PC but I never seen this question before. Does the Flex transmit the same amount of vibration to your hands as the PC? I was both astounded and fatigued by the amount of vibration that your arms feel. That factor alone might make me switch.

Not even close IMO. The FLEX is much smoother.

I have the PC but I never seen this question before. Does the Flex transmit the same amount of vibration to your hands as the PC? I was both astounded and fatigued by the amount of vibration that your arms feel. That factor alone might make me switch.

The flex is much much smoother... I've been trying to think of a way to show or convey the difference in a video, but honestly can't think of anything.

As it should for the price, the flex is much nicer to work with for extended periods of time. Thats part of the justification for the price.

One thing though, is while it reduces fatigue from the vibration the Flex will still wear you out. I find my shoulders getting more fatigued now, probably as a result of having to do more lateral control with the machine.

I'll give it a shot, I almost thought about using double sided tape to attach a small level to back of each machine and then shoot a close up on the bubble to see if it would show the vibrations.

Neither is unbearable IMO, but the Flex is just the smoother of the 2. I've been using a PC for years and years now... my arms haven't fallen off (yet) :D

Out of curiosity....since I've done the polishing on my wife's DD and plan to continue using the recommended washing techniques (i.e. 2-bucket), will there be a need in the future to do this level of polishing again? I think I know the answer, but wanted to get others thoughts.

My next purchase is a tool for gauging thickness of the clear. I don't expect to polish this car every year, but every 3 years? Would that seem too unreasonable? And I'm sure the type of polish used will vary (such as FMP only, or SHR + FMP, etc.).

Just wondering if others have machine polished their cars more than once.

FWIW I've lost count of how many times I've polished my truck... this is very mild polishing you're doing, so don't stress too much on how often you end up needing it.

Ideally, if you do a good job of washing and proper care you'll only have to correct the paint with FMP and a white pad maybe 1-2x a year. The more its driven, the worse your technique, the more often it'll be required, but unless you're really being neglectful of the paint you won't need to do major polishing again save for maybe spot corrections when accidents happen.

After polishing my wife's car, I noticed some "hazy" spots with the halogen lights. I hit those with some DS and they were removed. In essence, it was residual polish.

My question - did I underwork or overwork the polish?

Archived