Customer Service 866.965.0400

deep scratches

Fit08

Question

Got to thinking (again):confused:

You have scratches in need of wet sanding, now here is the question.

Will you get any results with a scratch thats into metal or is this wet sanding only going to give you good results with only yhe clear coat being "breached" by the scratch. I would think that the into metal scratch wold maybe be reduced but will still remain as paint in now gone.

Even though the thumb nail is telling wet sanding is needed I'm thinking even wet sanding can save some deep scratches in clear coats?

Thoughts?

7 answers to this question

Got to thinking (again):confused:

I'm gonna help your thinking along.

You have scratches in need of wet sanding, now here is the question.

Will you get any results with a scratch thats into metal or is this wet sanding only going to give you good results with only yhe clear coat being "breached" by the scratch.

First of all, the breach has to be on the surface of the clear coat, NOT into the clear coat. If the scratch is INTO the clear coat, you need to leave it alone or have a professional look at it. That scratch is way beyond your abilities.

I would think that the into metal scratch wold maybe be reduced but will still remain as paint in now gone.

Into the metal scratch is not going to look any better after you wet sand on it. That is a scratch that has to be filled, prepped and painted again.

Even though the thumb nail is telling wet sanding is needed...

What fingernail gauge are you using? If your fingernail catches on the scratch the slightest bit, LEAVE IT ALONE. Since you do not understand how thin the clear coat is on your car, there is no way you should be sanding on it without a paint thickness gauge, capable of measuring individual layers on your car's panels. Trust me on this. I'm about to save you from yourself and a boatload of money.

I'm thinking even wet sanding can save some deep scratches in clear coats?

Thoughts?

In your wildest dreams. Deep scratches mean paint has been removed. Nothing fixes missing paint but more paint, the end. Although a lot of people are quick to pick up some touch up paint, most end up making the scratch look even worse; they make the scratch look like a 5 year old fixed it.

I have to chime in on these wet sanding threads to make sure that misinformation is not passed. A lot of people have a false sense of security and $1000 later, they have learned a lesson that they didn't have to if they had read my post on this subject. So if you have a deep scratch that you are thinking about fixing, this should work as a warning that you are about to get in way over your head. Deep scratches take a lot more materials to fix than just sandpaper and a bucket of water. yesnod.gif

I'm gonna help your thinking along.

What fingernail gauge are you using? If your fingernail catches on the scratch the slightest bit, LEAVE IT ALONE. Since you do not understand how thin the clear coat is on your car, there is no way you should be sanding on it without a paint thickness gauge, capable of measuring individual layers on your car's panels. Trust me on this. I'm about to save you from yourself and a boatload of money.

. yesnod.gif

Now when you say "leave it alone" is that meant for 4" focus pad treatment as well Junkman? Could you a least tone it down alot using the focus pad treatment knowning at you will not eliminate it. The add :pc:

The simple way to look at this -

YOU CAN'T FIX WHAT ISN'T THERE

A scratch down to bare metal means the paint has been removed in that area. Polishing, sanding, or anything of that nature is not going to replace the paint... so under circumstances like this you're looking at repainting to repair.

Now when you say "leave it alone" is that meant for 4" focus pad treatment as well Junkman? Could you a least tone it down alot using the focus pad treatment knowning at you will not eliminate it. The add :pc:

You are not going to tone down a scratch that deep, period. I don't waste my time with a lot lesser scratch unless I'm repainting the panel.

I have a friend in Brampton that owns a shop and he could look at it and tell you what is needed.

Thanks for the offer but this was just one of my "Thinking questions" a what if kinda of thing. I don't have any such deep to the bare metal scratches.

I was coming from the point of, at what point do you say no go with a scratch. I think we have solved this from the collective.

Archived