Customer Service 866.965.0400

Would you guys use the flex for Fine Machine Polish?

3PedalMINI

Question

I ask because im about to purchase a flex and immediately need to do the mini. My mini is very fine swirls and lines that are evident i placed in wile drying the car a few months back. They are long sweeps rather then swirls but only have the "depth" of swirls:confused:

Is using the flex for something like that over powered? Im purchasing the flex to cut on my detail times, my mom has a tank and is in desperate need of deswirlization and GMs clear coat is notoriously thick.

Not to mention my dads audi that i meticulously maintain which has audis ceramic clear. I am also starting to do side details and am looking to cut my time down.

Interested in what you guys think. the swirls and scratches in the mini are the type that would take 2 passes of FMP with the PC. I dont think S&H remover are required.

My moms yukon is another story:lolsmack:

I use the flex with FMP on a setting of 4........like liquid glass baby. Purrrrrrfect. :)

Oh yeah, FMP is lovely stuff. These shots are just after my first try with the flex, topped with MSS. Hadn't worked it for a while, did the SHR fast and then FMP fast with the flex, and it came out nice. Believe it or not, this was after driving 30 minutes through the rain (see the rain drops on the bumper), so there actually is a bit more shine in there.

1112111346R.jpg

1112111345R.jpg

Before I found Adams I use to use 3M products with my rotary buffer. Now that I found ADAMS 3 step process I use the PC I works good but its like watching paint dry. could I use the Adams 3 step with my rotary buffer and which pads or I'M asking for trouble. Maybe split the different and get a flex??? What should do to save time and money for my customer details. :help: Sorry didn't mean to still the thread.

I am no expert still a novice my self but if time is a factor Flex all the way.

PADs were made for their respective Polishers so not sure using them on a rotary would be safe.

just my 2cents.

So for light swirl marks (probably from dealership washes) on a two week old Challenger, would you guys recommend a PC with fine machine polish or a Flex? If going the least aggressive route is the mantra, then wouldn't that be a PC? I'm a total novice with machine polishers, but from what I've been able to understand, the Flex is much safer than a rotary polisher and it would be difficult to damage the paint unless I was being very careless. However, the PC affords not only correction but polishing.

So for light swirl marks (probably from dealership washes) on a two week old Challenger, would you guys recommend a PC with fine machine polish or a Flex? If going the least aggressive route is the mantra, then wouldn't that be a PC? I'm a total novice with machine polishers, but from what I've been able to understand, the Flex is much safer than a rotary polisher and it would be difficult to damage the paint unless I was being very careless. However, the PC affords not only correction but polishing.

The PC. If you practice proper wash technique you should not need to use anything stonger than FMP, so the PC should do you fine.

However, the PC affords not only correction but polishing.

So does the Flex. Both machines are capable of correction and polishing (although some may use that terms interchangeably) . The Flex is a little "stronger" and gets the job done faster, but the polish doesn't know what machine its being put on and therefore functions the same.

In the arena of splitting hairs, yes, the PC with white pad and FMP is the least aggressive of all the machine possibilities....but not by much.

Hope this helps.

the Flex will do the Job on one pass depending on how hard your Clear coat is. If you have not bought a polisher yet and are still a novice I would recommend the PC. I my self still being a novice ended up buying both.

once you correct your clear coat and you use the two bucket method for washing you want the least aggressive method from that point forward.

no need to cut more clear than is needed. I have a challenger SRT8 as well. :burnout:

and the Clear on it is flawless so I am not going to use the Flex on it rather the PC with FMP.

But my wife's SUV her clear is wrecked so to correct hers i am going to use the flex and the 3 Pad system then the PC with FMP from then on in.

the Flex will do the Job on one pass depending on how hard your Clear coat is. If you have not bought a polisher yet and are still a novice I would recommend the PC. I my self still being a novice ended up buying both.

once you correct your clear coat and you use the two bucket method for washing you want the least aggressive method from that point forward.

no need to cut more clear than is needed. I have a challenger SRT8 as well. :burnout:

and the Clear on it is flawless so I am not going to use the Flex on it rather the PC with FMP.

But my wife's SUV her clear is wrecked so to correct hers i am going to use the flex and the 3 Pad system then the PC with FMP from then on in.

Thanks Chrys! You gotta love the 392 Challenger!!! :burnout: Just looking at that car makes me happy (well...except for the swirls) but they'll be gone soon enough! BTW, I pulled the trigger on the Flex. I know I'll wind up getting a PC in the future for other uses, but the Flex will get the job done in one pass. Also, I've been reading that it's a lot smoother to operate than the PC. I also have a DD that has a trashed clear coat that will need the Flex, so I think I'll be fine with it.

Thanks Chrys! You gotta love the 392 Challenger!!! :burnout: Just looking at that car makes me happy (well...except for the swirls) but they'll be gone soon enough! BTW, I pulled the trigger on the Flex. I know I'll wind up getting a PC in the future for other uses, but the Flex will get the job done in one pass. Also, I've been reading that it's a lot smoother to operate than the PC. I also have a DD that has a trashed clear coat that will need the Flex, so I think I'll be fine with it.

Heck yeah, its such a fun car to drive its actually my DD. Pics when you get a chance.

The main thing that everyone here should understand is that the least aggressive method to get the job done is the one you use... if the PC and white pad will get it done, use that.

If you only have the flex, then use the least aggressive method with the flex that you can.

The mantra here should always be USE THE LEAST AGGRESSIVE METHOD TO GET THE JOB DONE! Regardless of what process you're doing, cleaning, polishing, etc this holds true.

Before I found Adams I use to use 3M products with my rotary buffer. Now that I found ADAMS 3 step process I use the PC I works good but its like watching paint dry. could I use the Adams 3 step with my rotary buffer and which pads or I'M asking for trouble. Maybe split the different and get a flex??? What should do to save time and money for my customer details. :help: Sorry didn't mean to still the thread.

I took those photos with my cell phone camera no less. I looked at the hood and thought, "I need to take a couple of shots of this".

That's the crazy part about machine polishing. You finish it all up, step back, and just stare at the finish like an idiot.:drool:

The PC. If you practice proper wash technique you should not need to use anything stonger than FMP, so the PC should do you fine.

:iagree:I have the PC on it's way and that is what I plan to do with my car. I have used the 2 bucket wash method from day one, the dealer was not allowed to wash it before I drove it off the lot.

Ok so I went bananas. I bought the Flex and the PC. I don't think I'll need anything beyond the PC for my new Challenger, but my DD and my wife's DD will most definitely benefit from the Flex. Throw in the Master Blaster and the Jumbo Metrovac and I'm set to open my own detailing biz! LOL! I can't remember ever being so excited about detailing before, but for once, I've got products that actually do what they say they will and then some! I can't wait for the sealant, Brilliant Glaze and Americana wax combo I'm gonna throw down on my Pitch Black 392! Then like somebody else mentioned, I'll probably just stare at it! This IS an addiction, isn't it!

Ok so I went bananas. I bought the Flex and the PC. I don't think I'll need anything beyond the PC for my new Challenger, but my DD and my wife's DD will most definitely benefit from the Flex. Throw in the Master Blaster and the Jumbo Metrovac and I'm set to open my own detailing biz! LOL! I can't remember ever being so excited about detailing before, but for once, I've got products that actually do what they say they will and then some! I can't wait for the sealant, Brilliant Glaze and Americana wax combo I'm gonna throw down on my Pitch Black 392! Then like somebody else mentioned, I'll probably just stare at it! This IS an addiction, isn't it!

Oh my..both the PC and Flex? You will not be disappointed!!!! Addiction? That's a mild word...obsession, severe OCD ....LOL!!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

I think we all have a touch of OCD :)...I know I do.

:help:

Oh my..both the PC and Flex? You will not be disappointed!!!! Addiction? That's a mild word...obsession, severe OCD ....LOL!!!!

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

:rockon:Pics man Pics lol!

Brendon, did ya pull the trigger? On buying a Flex? DO IT! If you're detailing for dollars, or have multiple cars, there's only one machine, Flex!

Yeah man, sure did :D

I was literally a few hours away from pulling the trigger on a brand new one when Matt (bigaudiofanatic) texted me about a guy on another forum selling his "might as well be brand new" only used 3 times flex for $200:thumbsup:

I think I'm more excited about getting that then presents on Christmas :lolsmack:

Do you stock flex pads?

I think with the right amount of finesse and skill it shouldn't be a problem, a lot of detailers/hobbyists who become proficient enough with a rotary based machine often use it for everything but applying a sealant. Having said that, I haven't tried the fine machine polish yet, so I can't reliably attest to its performance with the flex.

I think with the right amount of finesse and skill it shouldn't be a problem, a lot of detailers/hobbyists who become proficient enough with a rotary based machine often use it for everything but applying a sealant. Having said that, I haven't tried the fine machine polish yet, so I can't reliably attest to its performance with the flex.

yeah, thats the thing though; im moving from a PC. Maybe ill get enough practice on my moms yukon before i touch my mini :jester:

Of course you can and would use the Flex with FMP. The Flex just adds in forced rotation along with the random orbital motion to help you correct your paint with less effort than a PC. That said, it's still going to take a good amount of deliberate effort to damage your paint with a Flex (if that's what your worried about).

I've been using a PC for the past 2 years and just bought a Flex last week. I have played with a Flex one time before and have zero hesitations jumping right into my cars with the Flex once the spring rolls around.

The PC will be used only to apply sealant or to use with the focus pads from here on forward.

Archived