Customer Service 866.965.0400

First PC attempt, what did I do wrong?

Weezerj

Question

so i wisely tried my first PC on my wife's car. Problem is, I have created something that I can't get out and she's gonna kill me if I can figure out how to fix...

Junkman, I need your help!

What did I do wrong and how do i fix. (I only have one pic because my battery died, I will get more up if you need them)

scaled.php?server=11&filename=img0750ju.jpg&res=medium

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well,.......

Two shops both say its a messed up paint job....potentially the body work is messed up under the paint.

Good news is that I didn't do it, bad news is its going to cost the most to repair. Almost wish I had just burned the clearcoat now....

Lastly, I washed and waxed this car twice in the last month and didn't see any sign of this. What could have been on the paint to cover this? Would glaze hide this type of thing?

Well,.......

Two shops both say its a messed up paint job....potentially the body work is messed up under the paint.

Good news is that I didn't do it, bad news is its going to cost the most to repair. Almost wish I had just burned the clearcoat now....

Lastly, I washed and waxed this car twice in the last month and didn't see any sign of this. What could have been on the paint to cover this? Would glaze hide this type of thing?

Ahemm...back on topic.:lolsmack:

Glaze last's a few days...if you washed and waxed it twice, it wouldn't have held up anyways.

I'm not a paint expert, but I suppose with the addition of the extra lights, and you polishing, uncovered what you a.)didn't notice before or b.)they used something to hide the imperfections that I'm not famaliar with. Which is entirely possible:rockon:

The more I polish, the larger the shinier area gets.....but I've had to go over the same area 5 or 6 times now to get this to happen.

It is possible that my wife's paint is so jacked up that the swirl and scratch remover is just not enough to get the job done?

If this is the case, severe haze and scratch is needed?

I've got a blister from the pressure and I'm on the same count as the junkmans videos....

This paint in on a 2005 BMW that has never been revived.....

I just wend and picked up some severe swirl remover and am going to give that a try. After that I should be able to get some more pics....

If you apply too much pressure with the PC the PAD actually stops moving junkman clearly displayed that in his vids. That being said not sure what that is.

Well, that didn't work and now I'm starting to worry that I messed up the clearcoat...

Possible to apply too much pressure?

scaled.php?server=842&filename=img0753sz.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=836&filename=img0752lu.jpg&res=medium

Okay, the first question I have for you is who's technique are you using??? You said that you are following my tempo but that you have blisters from pressing so hard. I use 9-14 pounds of pressure and you will never get a blister following that rule. I know that Adam uses maximum pressure but he doesn't move the polisher as slow as I do. So I ask again, who's technique are you using?

Okay, the first question I have for you is who's technique are you using??? You said that you are following my tempo but that you have blisters from pressing so hard. I use 9-14 pounds of pressure and you will never get a blister following that rule. I know that Adam uses maximum pressure but he doesn't move the polisher as slow as I do. So I ask again, who's technique are you using?

I was attempting to use yours, but may have used too much pressure the first time.

I tried again with less pressure, but still get the marks when using the orange pad especially.

Pad rotates slowly clockwise....

Did I burn the clear coat?

Did I burn the clear coat?

No you didn't. Impossible with a PC. And that's alot of area, to be honest, it would even be hard to burn that much clear coat on a whole panel with a rotary (unless you had horrible technique and just kept on going, doh). I just corrected a guy's rotary marring with my PC and that would take alot of a bad thing, which you can't do with the PC.

Kind of weird, but I'm thinking a few options here....

1. Something you're uncovering from a crappy paint job....

2. Not working the polish all the way (stretch)

3. The previous owener or dealer sealed it with some crap that you didn't remove during the clay, and now your uncovering it.

I would IPA the panel (just to ensure all polish is removed), and bring it out in the sun and post some more picture's.

Bottom Line...If it's something your doing with the PC, it can be corrected. If it's something your uncovering because of neglected paint, you have to find out what it is first, and go from there. It's hard to tell from the pics.

thanks. I tried removing with IPA without any luck. I also tried to clay it again.....without any luck there either.

I am taking it to a Dylan's dealer in my area tomorrow morning to see if he can help me out.

Ok do you have focus pads? Maybe try some SHR on some focus pads on a cordless drill and see what happens but watch vids on it first. Use your PC SHR followed by FMP on top do not remove SHR Residue and try polishing on speed 6 put a mark on your backing plate and make sure its rotating.

Archived