Customer Service 866.965.0400

First PC attempt, what did I do wrong?

Weezerj

Question

so i wisely tried my first PC on my wife's car. Problem is, I have created something that I can't get out and she's gonna kill me if I can figure out how to fix...

Junkman, I need your help!

What did I do wrong and how do i fix. (I only have one pic because my battery died, I will get more up if you need them)

scaled.php?server=11&filename=img0750ju.jpg&res=medium

• Answers 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I get into my car every morning to drive to work I do more of

:rockon:

Than :confused: thanks to the Wife lmao!!!

but all of us married guys have to

:king:

Everyonce in a while LOL!

The one that sends you to the dog house. It isn't important till it's broke...lol. If I read you right Junkman, you do more of this :banana::banana::banana: and us married people do more of this :confused::confused::confused:

Well,.......

Two shops both say its a messed up paint job....potentially the body work is messed up under the paint.

Good news is that I didn't do it, bad news is its going to cost the most to repair. Almost wish I had just burned the clearcoat now....

Lastly, I washed and waxed this car twice in the last month and didn't see any sign of this. What could have been on the paint to cover this? Would glaze hide this type of thing?

Well,.......

Two shops both say its a messed up paint job....potentially the body work is messed up under the paint.

Good news is that I didn't do it, bad news is its going to cost the most to repair. Almost wish I had just burned the clearcoat now....

Lastly, I washed and waxed this car twice in the last month and didn't see any sign of this. What could have been on the paint to cover this? Would glaze hide this type of thing?

Ahemm...back on topic.:lolsmack:

Glaze last's a few days...if you washed and waxed it twice, it wouldn't have held up anyways.

I'm not a paint expert, but I suppose with the addition of the extra lights, and you polishing, uncovered what you a.)didn't notice before or b.)they used something to hide the imperfections that I'm not famaliar with. Which is entirely possible:rockon:

Glad this got straightened out. I have seen new, previously hidden, issues revealed by doing paint corrections. You just never know what you're going to get into when you detail a car that you don't know the entire history of.

Glad it worked out for ya and you survived the Wife...I know the feeling :).

So I clayed the hood of my black camaro and took to it with the polisher. Same exact technique I used on the BMW and the paint looks perfect. No scratches, perfect shine.

The guy I took it too today was pretty sure the base coat is messed up. Guess I'm off to a paint shop tomorrow to get some opinions on what it is and how to fix it.

I survived showing it to the wife, but just barely.

I found this, see if you find anything that looks like what your seeing. I by no means am an expert, and recommend having it looked at by a reputable body shop. As I mentioned before I would go to a Dealer only, unless you know of one you trust. The best I could see from the pictures you posted is what this website calls "edge mapping". Again, I would strongly suggest consulting a professional if your unsure about how to proceed. I posted the below link as reference only.

http://www.sherwin-automotive.com/~/media/Sherwin-Williams-Files/Files/Reference/Trouble%20Shooting%20Guide/tsg.ashx

I think that is a spot painted area that the clear coat was just blended out into the panel. In other words they did not seal the blend by clear coating the whole body panel. Now you have buffed this light layer off??? Maybe a light wet sand and more aggressive buffing methods may help. But you should consult a professional for that. Unfortunately I think you are dealing with a sub standard paint repair and not a product or technique problem.

:iagree:

I think that is a spot painted area that the clear coat was just blended out into the panel. In other words they did not seal the blend by clear coating the whole body panel. Now you have buffed this light layer off??? Maybe a light wet sand and more aggressive buffing methods may help. But you should consult a professional for that. Unfortunately I think you are dealing with a sub standard paint repair and not a product or technique problem.

ok...

1. Did I strip off the old product? I did clay the car and assumed that would strip off any old product. I tried IPA to correct (thinking it may be old product). Other than that, I am not sure how to strip off old product.

2. I clayed this area the same as the rest of the car with a lot of detail spray.

3. 3 peas sized drops for a 2x2 area. worked the area back and forth, then up and down, the sprayed the pad again with detail spray and repeated with no additional product. Product went from cloudy to clear during the process.

4. I did go pretty slow.

5. No, we got this car about 2 months ago and it does have some paint issues.

I've got a blister from the pressure and I'm on the same count as the junkmans videos....

This paint in on a 2005 BMW that has never been revived.....

I just wend and picked up some severe swirl remover and am going to give that a try. After that I should be able to get some more pics....

I meant to ask, are you the original owner so you know the full history of the car?

Well, that didn't work and now I'm starting to worry that I messed up the clearcoat...

Possible to apply too much pressure?

scaled.php?server=842&filename=img0753sz.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=836&filename=img0752lu.jpg&res=medium

Looks like you have some really bad marring from not using enough detail spray during the claying process... I also read that the subject your working on is a BMW, they tend to have a harder clearcoat then most cars. So I have a few questions...

1 - Do you remember if you had to do some heavy claying in this area?

If so, then this is deffinently marring left behind from the claying process.

2 -How much product are you using during your paint correction, and are you working the polish until it flashes?

If you end up using too much product, you can actually clog up the pad and reduce its correcting ability. And if you dont allow the product to flash, you wont see the same results as you would expect to see.

One important thing to note here is that when you are using a pc for the first time, you have to remember that speed is not the key to getting results... Take your time and move slow in over lapping passes, and sometimes it takes multiple passes to correct an area (especially on vehicles with a hard clear coat).

Dont be discouraged by not achieving the results you want the first time around using a pc. It is almost an art form in which takes practice, but trust me... you'll get there soon! :2thumbs:

Dylan, he posted this in the thread. This is a good one, hmmmm.

I've got a blister from the pressure and I'm on the same count as the junkmans videos....

This paint in on a 2005 BMW that has never been revived.....

I just wend and picked up some severe swirl remover and am going to give that a try. After that I should be able to get some more pics....

Archived