Customer Service 866.965.0400

TBSS vs SRT8 cherokee

JHL88

well, ive been thinking about getting rid of my z06 (just bought it in september) i was convinced that i could make it work with my recently born twin boys (had a f-150 as my DD) and im selling my truck because i only want one vehicle.

so anyway the z is def. not practical even though its one bad ride and the fastest stock car ive ever driven. ive been considering different replacement vehicles such as G8 GT's/GXP's, even thinking about going back to a LS1 ss camaro. but i seem to keep coming back to a jeep srt8 and a SS trailblazer. i know the jeeps are faster but people have been saying that the SS is more useful.

what do you guys think? any suggestions? i dont want to get anything toooo expensive which is why i shouldn't even be looking at the GXP's lol...

I just got rid of my TBSS. It was a good SUV. I've never really compared the 2, but I know the Jeep doesn't have a tow hitch. Look out for the crappy tranny, and check the oil because the sump is in the front of the motor so with hard launches, it's possible to starve the motor of oil (most people just add an extra 1/2qt). Those are the only real issues I've heard of with them, never had an issue with mine.

I would not say one is more practical than the other. They are both high powered RWD mid sized SUVs

The one thing I like about the TBSS is that you can get them in AWD. You might not need the AWD in South Carolina but there is nothing like that feeling of and AWD launch. Plus you can save your rear tires with the AWD. I dont know how many RWD TBSS's and SRT8's I have seen with bald rear tires.

I wouldn't necessarily say the SRT8 is faster, during the production years of the TBSS. One had more low end, and the other would outrun it.

I drove both before I decided on the TBSS. Obviously you can't be concerned with gas mileage. You can find a TBSS for cheaper now. I say go drive both and then decide. They are very different. I felt squished in the Jeep. Just, as always with buying a performance vehicles that's been owned by someone else, be cautious of the abuse it may have taken before it got to you.

I like the stance of the older GCSRT8 better, until you slam a TBSS, then it's all TBSS. I like the LS2 Power I have. The transmission, 4L70E is a know weak point, but this isn't a racecar and I don't feel the need to street race everyone either. It's nice to know that I can get up and go when I need to. Also, Save for the new 5.0, I am a Mustang GT Killllllllllller.

Mook

I have spent a good amount of time behind both cars and currently drive at GC SRT8. I spent a good amount of time driving my friends TBSS in high school and it was a blast for the weekends we took it to the track. But after a long time of thinking I chose the jeep as the first car with my name on everything. Heres my attitude towards it, I love both of them and you will have a blast driving either one, it comes down to these things.

-Towing with TBSS and not on jeep unless you get downpipes (which are ugly)

-TBSS has 4 speed rough transmission vs SRT 5 speed (still not great hah)

-Interior in jeep is much nicer, especially 08+

-Jeep 4 piston Brembo, not on TBSS

-TBSS AWD is better than SRT AWD

-Doesn't wait for the rear to slip to engage the front like the SRT does

-Stock vs Stock jeep is faster

-Price much lower for TBSS (obvious), but get what you pay for with the SRT

-SRT more exclusive than TBSS, much less SRT around

-Some replacement parts on SRT are through Mercedes (expensive)

-Chrysler customer service sucks, GM was better when I had my Escalade

-Prices on Gen 1 GCSRT should start going down since the second one is out, guys are trading up

-NAG1 on the jeep will hold up to around 550 HP then you'll see problems, ill let you know in the spring :D haha

-Without any suspension mods, SRT will ride like your vette, pretty rough.

I was in almost the same position as you, I was looking at G8 GT/GXP too before the jeep but in Michigan and this being my only car I needed the AWD so it was a no brainer. If you are thinking about a GXP I would recommend looking at cheaper GT's and using that extra money saved from a GXP to mod, F/I build tranny so on, so on. I know a few guys that did this and spent the same amount on their GT+mods and kill GXP's. You cant really go wrong with any of those cars, great few to chose from. I have over 60k on my jeep and got it with 22k, ive had it for a little over a year and a half and it has been riden hard and hasn't given me any problems (knock on wood). Im stock now but not come spring, its a blast to drive, ive put down a few GT500 and M3 and their faces are priceless :D haha. My favorite thing about my jeep is I can drive it every day and its jsut as good as taking it to the track. If you have any questions dont be afraid to ask, I have respect for both rides and they have their pros and cons like any other thing in life.

*edit*- '12 SRT not worth it, nearly 60k and and a hair faster than my jeep. but a sub 30k SRT and add 30k of performance parts and your getting near a 9 second GC haha.

Jason, I like the looks of both but being a GM guy I absolutely could not wait to get a TBSS. With that said I finally got one a year or so ago after a long search. No regrets this car is fun, fast but practical. Mine is AWD. I recomend it.

I would not say one is more practical than the other. They are both high powered RWD mid sized SUVs

The one thing I like about the TBSS is that you can get them in AWD. You might not need the AWD in South Carolina but there is nothing like that feeling of and AWD launch. Plus you can save your rear tires with the AWD. I dont know how many RWD TBSS's and SRT8's I have seen with bald rear tires.

Srt8's are all wheel drive, hence the wicked take off from the line! lol

The SS doesnt look as mean as the jeep imo. I think the SRT8 just looks sick! I owned one briefly and loved it. To me the only negative is can't tow, but I never towed anything anyways, and if I did we had another vehicle we could use. I think the resale value really speaks for which one is more favored. To me the Trailblazer SS was more of an afterthought , kinda thrown together. The SRT8 seems a little more planned out. Don't get me wrong the SS is nice but its no SRT8 in my opinion.

You will love either, and I have driven both with a BIG OLD SMILE on my face...

Big vroom for the $$ on both. I've now got a 2011 Jeep GC, and it's an impressive vehicle, to say the least.

Either way, you will want to drive like a maniac in any weather condition, and will be able to do so safely and with much traction!:patriot:

Back in 06 I was deciding between the 2... both had their high and low points, neither really was perfect in all aspects, but I ended up settling on the TBSS and was REALLY happy with my decision.

If it matters to you also factor in the MASSIVE aftermarket support for GM LS engines... theres a fair amount of stuff out there for the JGCSRT8, but not nearly as much as there is for the LS2 in the TBSS.

And to help make your decision for you :jester:

DSC_5403.jpg

DSC_5410.jpg

DSC_4769.jpg

DSC_5400.jpg

DSC_5403.jpg

DSC_5410.jpg

DSC_4769.jpg

DSC_5400.jpg

Dylans SS takin murdered out to a whole new level! Exactly how i would have had my TB if i would have got one! blacks the fastest color! haha :D

To the OP though, if you plan to keep the car stock the jeep will knock the TB all day. If you plan to mod it doesnt matter either way you go. As long as you have money you can make anything fast. A guy i know has 2 GC SRT, ones a 9 Sec beast in a SUV shell, sounds like a fire breathing dragon. Another friend has a nice whipple on his, my favorite sound.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/v5eNnw2P0yw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

For the money a TBSS is much less but also slower. More speed and comfort will cost you more money. In the end pick the body style and be happy, dont base your decision on what we say. I love both, idk how any guy with a SRT can say dylans trailbazer isnt amazing. If you respect all cars both will have positives and negatives. SRT4TW :D haha

When I was shopping for my Chally I test drove the 2011 GCSRT8..WHOA!

Fast as heck, great build quality. I was pushing and pulling on the dash looking for cheap plastic, but it was a solid SUV. That being said I like the looks of the TBSS. Just my 2 cents.

Back in 06 I was deciding between the 2... both had their high and low points, neither really was perfect in all aspects, but I ended up settling on the TBSS and was REALLY happy with my decision.

If it matters to you also factor in the MASSIVE aftermarket support for GM LS engines... theres a fair amount of stuff out there for the JGCSRT8, but not nearly as much as there is for the LS2 in the TBSS.

And to help make your decision for you :jester:

DSC_5403.jpg

DSC_5410.jpg

DSC_4769.jpg

DSC_5400.jpg

That is by far the best looking SUV I have ever seen.

Dylan, can I ask why you got rid of it?

Dylans SS takin murdered out to a whole new level! Exactly how i would have had my TB if i would have got one! blacks the fastest color! haha :D

For the money a TBSS is much less but also slower. More speed and comfort will cost you more money. In the end pick the body style and be happy, dont base your decision on what we say. I love both, idk how any guy with a SRT can say dylans trailbazer isnt amazing. If you respect all cars both will have positives and negatives. SRT4TW :D haha

Thanks!

FWIW - a few hours on the dyno w/ HP Tuners and my TBSS was dead even with the stock SRT8's around town. The beauty of open tuning software in GM vehicles, but I'm not up to date on the Mopar tuning... last I was aware it wasn't cracked. Things may have change a lot since I was 'in the game'

That is by far the best looking SUV I have ever seen.

Dylan, can I ask why you got rid of it?

Thank you... family outgrew it. Sadly the back seat legroom on the TBSS was laughable for a midsized SUV. My wifes equinox had easily 2x the leg room and its considered a compact SUV. With Tanner getting bigger it just wasn't practical to cram him back there... his feet would easily rest on the center console in between the front seats when he was sitting in the middle-rear.

Also didn't help that I'm 6'2" and had to have the seat almost all the way back to drive comfortably. I wouldn't consider it a family hauler... the back seats just too small and I could afford to jump up to something bigger (the Avy) so thats what I did.

Dylan had one of the best looking TBSS I have ever seen. I still miss it, probably not as much as he does :lol:

I do miss it a lot. Here it was before the black wheels, but right after the drop:

image0001-3.jpg

DJMdrop1.jpg

All I know is when my brother had his in '06, we took it bone stock to Atco. He was a full second faster than two SSTBs and they had headers, full exhuast and a programmer. They cried all night to see his engine and weren't too happy when he showed em!

SRTs are much better looking too, but that's my opinion. And that's coming from someone who customer ordered an '06 GMC!

With Kooks headers, full Borla exhaust, Predator tune, and a 150 shot, we walked Bam Margera's Mercielago and we had 4 people in the SRT! Stoplight to stoplight, the SRT's gonna own the TB. It's gonna take a lot more work to get a TB to catch an SRT. The 6.1 hemi is a killer motor!

And this is a recommendation from someone who's brother has an '02 Z06 with 600whp. Not dissing GM, but the SRT is a better machine.

All I know is when my brother had his in '06, we took it bone stock to Atco. He was a full second faster than two SSTBs and they had headers, full exhuast and a programmer. They cried all night to see his engine and weren't too happy when he showed em!

SRTs are much better looking too, but that's my opinion. And that's coming from someone who customer ordered an '06 GMC!

With Kooks headers, full Borla exhaust, Predator tune, and a 150 shot, we walked Bam Margera's Mercielago and we had 4 people in the SRT! Stoplight to stoplight, the SRT's gonna own the TB. It's gonna take a lot more work to get a TB to catch an SRT. The 6.1 hemi is a killer motor!

And this is a recommendation from someone who's brother has an '02 Z06 with 600whp. Not dissing GM, but the SRT is a better machine.

Don't forget they killed the TB in 09, and well, they only got as big as the LS2, 6.0L motor. The ones that had the old LS1 Blocks in them then rebranded with new heads to be called a 5.7L Hemi, were the main rivals for the TBSS. The GCs have so much low end torque, that without a Mechanic/Tuner that is deeply familiar with LSx blocks, and the TBSS, it's not even close. I got walked by a GC. ONCE. Found him again, after my tune and light mods, and beat him by feet. Once Jeep decided to go 6.1L or 6.2L, whatever it was...the game changed. :thumbsup:

I am a GM guy all the way I own a 500rwhp 06 gto BUT the tbss has nothing on the srt as far as performance and looks. Dylans SS was beautiful but it also had a lot of work done to it. Stock TBSS looks very boring and will blend in at the supermarket parking lot. I can't believe I'm saying this because I'm the farthest thing from a mopar guy but SRT all the way.

The appearance mod list on mine wasn't really all that extensive.

• Blacked out IPCW LED tails
  • Blacked out 3rd brake light
  • Removed everything but the SS badges & blacked those out
  • Billet bowtie
  • DJM drop + belltech springs
  • Manually adjusted the rear factory air ride
  • Upgraded to drilled rotors
  • Painted calipers
  • Painted stock wheels
  • HID retrofit
  • Limo tint

Its all stuff that can be done relatively cheap and quick... its not like I redesigned the outside of the thing. Not at all a very extensive mod list - plus I never consider the 'stock appearance' of a vehicle when purchasing b/c I know I'm gonna mod it to my liking right away. If stock looks were a concern I'd have never bought the Avy.

When I was shopping for my Chally I test drove the 2011 GCSRT8..WHOA!

Yeahhh, they didnt make a 2011 GC SRT8 :D haha, did you drive the old body style or the new one? there was a '10 and then '12 model, unless you got to drive a super secret preview :bow::D haha

Theres a few things to remember:

-6.1 in jeep now has tuning available or the last 2 years, simple tune=money

-6.4 in the WK2 has not been cracked by anyone, no tuning for a while ive heard because of the encryption

-Mod for Mod jeep will be faster, ive beat a few TBSS with stall, intake and tune. and im stock, besides borla catback that does nothing

-Insurance for SRT jeep is same as V6 GC :D, im 21 and paying same amount as someone with a laredo.

Another option is to save the 10k more youd spend on a jeep and buy a TBSS, then put that 10k into mods, built trans, forced intake, caged. You could get a good amount of stuff for 10k and yes then you beat ALOT of SRT haha

Either way both are awesome, if money is any issue at all id say go TBSS for sure, if not then its up in the air.

Probably take more than 10g's to go this fast :drool:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eGaUyTnAnOw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Is that Kurt's? I've only seen the video from SAR! Twins on that baby, and that paint was bleeding!

Archived