Customer Service 866.965.0400

Flex and Orange Peel?

irunnoft

Question

14 answers to this question

It takes sandpaper to remove the orange peel, but the Flex or the PC work fine to remove the final wet-sanding marks. This is not something you would want to do without a paint thickness gauge and some experience (either yours or someone that is working with you).

Paint Defects Solution Guide, Orange Peel | DuPont Performance Coatings - appp20.asp.dupont.com

I know where I live there is an autobody supply store and there is a gal that works there that is more than helpful. Maybe if your daring and find a supply shop that is more than helpful it you may be able to fix it yourself. That is something your going to have to decide for yourself. I have found with various fix it items in life that sometimes people tell you a line of stuff and how difficult something is to repair, all in an effort to get your money. But again it all depends on your confidence level.

Paint Defects Solution Guide, Orange Peel | DuPont Performance Coatings - appp20.asp.dupont.com

I know where I live there is an autobody supply store and there is a gal that works there that is more than helpful. Maybe if your daring and find a supply shop that is more than helpful it you may be able to fix it yourself. That is something your going to have to decide for yourself. I have found with various fix it items in life that sometimes people tell you a line of stuff and how difficult something is to repair, all in an effort to get your money. But again it all depends on your confidence level.

No, I don't think I'll be that brave...or foolish. It's important to know one's limitations. I have zero problems with letting a pro do the work. I don't mind paying the money, but I want exacting, meticulous work. Anybody know a good paint shop in Western NC or the Piedmont area?

No, I don't think I'll be that brave...or foolish. It's important to know one's limitations. I have zero problems with letting a pro do the work. I don't mind paying the money, but I want exacting, meticulous work. Anybody know a good paint shop in Western NC or the Piedmont area?

Knowing your limitations is key... As far as a body shop, I would only go to a dealership. I have learned this from personal experience. Good luck.

It's a shame that new cars can be delivered with this, but apparently it's not unheard of.

All cars are delivered with orange peel... its part of the process and a symptom of sprayed on coatings. Paint only levels to a degree. The only car you'll ever see free of orange peel is one that has been done by a high end paint shop that spends the time to block the car at every stage. The reason you don't see this process on a factory car is the cost and labor involved. The process of spraying, blocking, refining, and buffing is something that takes a lot of time and meticulous hands on work.

For a 'assembly line' car its simply not feasible to deliver cars orange peel free... and if they did the waiting list for something like a camaro would be years in advance and the cost would increase by thousands of dollars to account for the added labor involved.

Doesn't matter if its a Ferrari or a Kia... theres gonna be orange peel from the factory.

I would guess at least $300 but probably no more than $700. That's just my rough guess.

Much much much more than that... the reason a high quality paint job for a show car will run into the thousands of dollars isn't the materials. Its the time/labor.

Knowing your limitations is key... As far as a body shop, I would only go to a dealership. I have learned this from personal experience. Good luck.

Actually, a dealership is the last place that I would want my car painted unless I could have an in-depth discussion with the body shop manager AND the painter and let them know exactly what I'm looking for. Most would turn down doing business with me. I have no problem with that, As a matter of fact, I applaud it.

Dealerships and insurance repair shops are in business to move volumes of work through their doors. Add to that, the insurance companies want to do the least amount of work to get the car back on the road. That's the perfect recipe for some crappy azz work.

I would guess at least $300 but probably no more than $700. That's just my rough guess.

That may get you half a door fixed. ;)

... The reason you don't see this process on a factory car is the cost and labor involved.

... and the fact that the cars a painted by robots, not people.

Of course I could be wrong. . . I could be as much as thousands of thousands of dollars! :lolsmack:

A friend of mine recently completed paint on a truck he's building to show... and be featured in the BASF booth next year @ SEMA. Materials were 100% sponsored but the total cost for the paint job (nothing outlandish just a 2 tone w/ a basic stripe separating the halves) was just short of $15,000.

Given that included masking, priming, muti-coats of base, and lots of clear etc - BUT more than 75% of the labor time was tied up in blocking, sanding, smoothing, and buffing so the clear was absolutely 100% orange peel and defect free. Its a whole other level of perfection.

As is always true - cheap work ain't good and good work ain't cheap!

Archived