Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hey Everyone (Dallas, TX) - This Newbie Needs Help!

boomer34

Hey everyone,

First post for me...I am really looking forward to getting some quality insight from you guys...

The reason I am here is that I just bought a brand new black GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab. This is my first "new car," and I plan to drive this for 10 years (previous expedition had 195K miles on it). My new truck is the "Texas Edition," so it has all the chrome accents, and looks very sharp.

I am wanting to learn this craft from you guys, so I can personally take care of my new truck over the long haul.

I must admit, after finding out about Adam's products, I was amazed at how great cars were able to look who used the products (especially the black ones, like mine), but on the other end, after surveying the products page, I am totally lost, and a bit overwhelmed!

So if you "vets" have some beginner advice for me, I would really appreciate it...like what products to order first, and what is essential to get going.

I am guessing I need to start with a good ole fashion wash, then strip away anything that is currently on the paint, and then get a good sealant on...but I need some help...

Thanks...

First, welcome to the site. The first question I have for you is how familiar are you with taking care of your paint? Do you understand the process of paint correction? Are you familiar with the 2-bucket wash process? Give me an idea as to what your level of expertise is in this area and I can direct you from there. In the meantime, check out this video series on the PC-7424XP and this series on paint correction. We'll take it from there. :thumbsup:

Welcome! You will learn a ton here. As you can already see you've got Junkman on your side to help you get started, one of the most qualified people on here to get the best advice on where to get started. Happy Detailing!

First, welcome to the site. The first question I have for you is how familiar are you with taking care of your paint? Do you understand the process of paint correction? Are you familiar with the 2-bucket wash process? Give me an idea as to what your level of expertise is in this area and I can direct you from there. In the meantime, check out this video series on the PC-7424XP and this series on paint correction. We'll take it from there. :thumbsup:

Hey Junkman,

I appreciate the help...I am already itching to get some products ordered so I can wash and polish my new truck.

As far as my experience, I have usually hand washed my cars, and have used a rub-on liquid wax like meguiars a few times a year. I am a neat freak, so I am looking forward to this, but I do not have experience in this high-end type stuff.

I did watch the 24 part video series on the Adams site, which was great, and introduced most of the products.

I will check out the videos you posted this evening.

I can say that my budget is limited, so I am envisioning just going with the hand polishes, wash products and waxes (no tools).

But still need any guidance you can offer! Again, I have a brand new truck, so I am assuming the paint is in pretty good condition.

Start with the wash supplies, something like Adam's Basic Wash & Wax Kit. Add a clay bar and a gallon of DS, pick up another bucket, and you're ready to get started.

Watch the wash videos and get the wash part down so you don't add any swirls!

Buying the kits is the best 'bang for your buck', but watch the Daily Specials too. Many of us started just the way you are, and little by little built our collections.

You will find that these premium products work better, apply easier, and provide better results than any OTC product you have used.

Thanks for that advice...

I just finished watching Junkman's video series...very helpful.

I guess my biggest question now is do I need to buy that power tool to apply the first 2 rounds of polishes, or can I go with the hand polish applicators? How much is lost by not using the porter cable tool?

Hi and welcome!

Everyone has given you the right advice.

Personally I prefer the PC or Flex vs hand. The reason is because your hand can only go so fast. The PC and Flex goes a heck of a lot faster which means you spend less time on the repair/polish process.

I guess my biggest question now is do I need to buy that power tool to apply the first 2 rounds of polishes, or can I go with the hand polish applicators? How much is lost by not using the porter cable tool?

The answer depends on what you are trying to achieve:

• If you are just wanting to add a little shine to the car, then SHR and Revive applied by hand
  • If you want to remove any swirls and get a mind-blowing finish, then you will need to step up to a Porter Cable.

If you are washing it correctly, it could be a long time before your finish needs a polisher.

Keep this in mind. You are not applying the polishes as they do not remain on the car. The polishes are used to repair paint imperfections and then they are wiped off. Just as soap does not remain on your body when you take a shower, polish is just a means to achieve perfect looking paint. You can NOT, however, achieve by hand using polish what you can achieve by using a machine. So depending on the amount of damage in your paint, you may need a polisher to remove that damage.

Welcome Boomer!

I started with Adam's doing hand polish techniques, but very soon moved up to a Porter Cable DA polisher. We don't have enough muscle and time to do swirl removal (correction) by hand, esp. on a large truck, or even on a small vehicle. But you can make the vehicle look as good as possible with the hand products, and they DO work as advertised.

I started with Buttery Wax, a claybar and Detail Spray, Swirl and Haze Remover, Revive Polish, and a few microfiber towels, and a couple foam applicators.

Then I improved my wash technique with the two bucket/two grit guard/two washpad technique to help minimize the swirls that would be created during the wash.

For best looks it probably would be good to get yourself a bottle of SVRT and some block sponge applicators as well, to treat your external dark plastics, tire sidewalls, cowlings - it really helps the overall look of the vehicle when the black items are black, and the tires look like new.

After using the products and really liking them, I moved up to the PC, and haven't looked back. The quality of the finish you can get with a PC is amazing, esp. with Black Paint (which made me find out about Adams).

Archived