Customer Service 866.965.0400

Bbq

LFairbanks

I thought this would be a fun thread to start. Something where we could share some ideas about bbq. Here is a pic of something that I did tonight. Jalapeno poppers and a stuffed chicken breast. The darker bacon is actually a peppered bacon. Hope to see some ideas from others and remember :worth:

IMG_0060.jpg

Those poppers are actually really easy to fix. And everybody that I have done them for absolutely loved them. And they do their own now.

Take some Jalapeno Peppers found in the prouduce section, and slice them in half. Scrape out the seeds and then wash. Put cream cheese (not the whipped) in the center. Throw a lil smokie in the middle then wrap with a piece of quality bacon. I usually get my bacon at the meat department being I can buy only the pieces I need. Then secure with a toothpick. Cook until the bacon appears done. My experiment last night, the wife and kid said they liked the peppered bacon.

I love to cook and bbq. The wife however won't let me experiment. There is an actual cookbook designed around the one bbq that I have, that Iam going to pick up and try. I have 2 bbq's, a Weber natural gas, that I just plug into the house. Nice because I never worry about running out of propane. And the other is what is called a Big Green Egg. It is like a bbq/smoker. And is my favorite as well as my kids. The wife says that it is the smoke ring that she doesn't care much for. She however is the only one to have an issue with it. Everybody else that I have cooked for on it really likes the smokey flavor. :cheers:

Those of you that do a lot of BBQ and use charcoal instead of propane, this is a must have tool. Worth every penny. I picked up one to light the green egg and works like a charm. Got some Porterhouse Steak and some stuffed pork chops for the weekend. And bacon wrapped turkey kabobs for a snack. I noticed that at the link that I provided it shows the item is backordered. Posted it because it had a good pic and description. You can find them on Amazon.

Looftlighter Electric Barbecue Starter, Odorless Charcoal Lighter

Products: USDA CHOICE BEEF: STEAKS - Snider Brothers Meats

Big Green Egg FTW!

That's what everybody tells me and that is why I picked one up. I love that thing and the way it cooks. Just wish I had more time to play with it. Going to throw a couple of Porterhouse on it tomorrow. I will put up some pics. Both before and after. They should turn out pretty good. These things are huge, and were $8.79 a pound. $43 for 3 steaks. I better not screw these up.

This is the BBQ that I prefer to cook on. I have the large and may one day pick up a medium or small as well. My wife prefers that I cook her stuff on NG Weber however. Doesn't care for that smokey flavor. I love it especially when it comes to a good steak.

It looks to me as though they are made in the USA as well. :patriot:

EGGS | Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience

That's what everybody tells me and that is why I picked one up. I love that thing and the way it cooks. Just wish I had more time to play with it. Going to throw a couple of Porterhouse on it tomorrow. I will put up some pics. Both before and after. They should turn out pretty good. These things are huge, and were $8.79 a pound. $43 for 3 steaks. I better not screw these up.

This is the BBQ that I prefer to cook on. I have the large and may one day pick up a medium or small as well. My wife prefers that I cook her stuff on NG Weber however. Doesn't care for that smokey flavor. I love it especially when it comes to a good steak.

It looks to me as though they are made in the USA as well. :patriot:

EGGS | Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience

Good luck with those steaks! My friend has one of these. I plan to get a medium or large on this spring. :banana:

Here are the pics that I promised. These things were huge. Next time I can get away with buying one maybe two. They were delicious however. Cut just like butter.

IMG_0311.jpg

The Egg doing its thing.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

My steak and the kids on the BGE.

IMG_0320.jpg

The wife's steak on the other BBQ. She doesn't like the smokey flavor. :confused:

IMG_0316.jpg

The finished product. :drool:

IMG_0321.jpg

BBQ! Now THIS is a thread I can be down with!

Over the weekend, I made some Beef Ribs with my own Texas style rub. Also decided it would be a good time for me to learn a Carolina Style sauce. The Sauce turned out FAR better than I could have expected, and IMHO was better than Cooper's BBQ Sauce that I previously had in that bottle. (Cooper's is in Menard, TX....I took a roadie with my best friend to San Antonio, and hit it on the way down...people told me IT was the place to eat in that part of Texas)

I previously made Beef Ribs the week before, and didn't like how they turned out. I used too much of a particular spice, and that combined with my wood chips made the Beef really sour tasting. That's gross. Sour Beef. So, back to the drawing board in my head it was. I don't have any pics, but plan on making them again soon, so I will do so then!

As far as the sauce goes...MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

Mook

You needed to allow that cow to grow a little while longer! I like my slabs THICK and JUICY!

grillin.jpg

And all that meat is just for ME!

Junk, They were thick. Like 1.5 inches thick. Just doesn't appear that way in the pic. If your into bbq, you need to check out those Big Green Eggs.

This Weber looks like a big black egg. Same concept I assume?

Same concept, but the Green Egg is ceramic and retains moisture and heat much better than a Weber and is a much better cooker.

How the EGG Works | Big Green Egg - The Ultimate Cooking Experience

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/13/dining/the-cult-of-the-big-green-egg-united-tastes.html?pagewanted=all

Going to maybe try some Beer Can Chicken this weekend, if it isn't raining or snowing. Recipe calls or a lager beer. You beer experts out there, is there one you think that I should try? Or is there a beer that someone has used in making beer can chicken that they would recommend?

Iam off in February and thinking about giving some pulled pork a whirl. Takes like 12 to 14 hours to cook. Did it once before and it turned out pretty good.

These are some of the cookers that my dad and brother used on the way to their Grand Champion season on the Alabama bbq trail this year.

These are all American made.

http://primogrill.com/

Stump's Smokers Inc

Backwoods Smokers Oklahoma

2011 was only the second year that my Dad and brother have competed. This upcoming 2012 season they will be switching from the backyard division to the pro.

I want to say that I didn't know these cookers even existed till they started using them. They are all pretty pricey, but evidently are well worth the investment and I wanted to share them with you guys and gals!

These are some of the cookers that my dad and brother used on the way to their Grand Champion season on the Alabama bbq trail this year.

These are all American made.

Primo Grills and Smokers

Stump's Smokers Inc

Backwoods Smokers Oklahoma

2011 was only the second year that my Dad and brother have competed. This upcoming 2012 season they will be switching from the backyard division to the pro.

I want to say that I didn't know these cookers even existed till they started using them. They are all pretty pricey, but evidently are well worth the investment and I wanted to share them with you guys and gals!

Thanks for sharing those Matt. That primogrill looks a lot like and egg just wider and shorter. When it comes to price Iam a firm believer for the most part this rings true. You get what you pay for. I learned that lesson early on when I started buying tools.

Iam sure you have a lot of great tips to share.

PBR to cook with! OR Natty Light!

Thanks for the suggestions Mook. I may do an experiment and do one of each.

Here are some websites that some may find informative.

A lot of good information in the link below.

Naked Whiz Ceramic Charcoal Cooking, Kamado Style Cookers and Lump Charcoal)

A good place for bbq spices.

Recipes. Dizzy Pig BBQ. Fantastic recipes for the grill, smoker or in the kitchen.

A variety of technique and recipes.

Playing With Fire and Smoke: Recipes

Archived