Customer Service 866.965.0400

New Guy - New Car

STEALTHMODE

Hello All! Just ordered my first Adam's products. Premium Detail Kit.

I am looking for a recommendation on where to start. I have a brand new 12 Black Camaro 2SS that already appears to have slight swirl marks. I have not even washed the car yet.

Should I do the full 3 step PC polilsh or start wit the swirl and haze remover?

Believe me, I will be practicing on my 07 Frontier first.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

First off welcome to the forums. If i where you i would watch all the detailing videos over and over that you can. But start with the least aggresive product ie: fine machine polish and see what results you get. Then move to the SHR if your not happy after doing a couple of passes with the fine machine polish. Do a 2'x2' area until you get the results you want then you will know how to attack the rest of the car. PS: if you havent checked it out check out www.camaro5.com its a great site for us camaro owners.

Welcome to the forums. I am going to do the same as you but my practice vehicle is an 06 Frontier. Just bought an 11 Toyota Avalon last month and it has DIS (Dealer Installed Swirls) on the hood. I'm thinking that's what happened to your car.

Yup, always use the least aggressive polish and pad combination (white pad, fine machine polish) for your testing. Do the full prep on it, which includes wash, dry, IPA wipedown to remove any dealer 'wax' etc., then do a baggie test (sandwich baggie over your hand and ~lightly and gently~ run that hand over the finish. If you feel any bumps, you will need to clay. Almost every finish will need some claying, esp. if the car has ever been outside.

Once the finish has been clayed, then start the test on your 2'x2' area, to determine what steps will be required to get the correction you need. Might only be Fine machine polish for one or 2 passes, but it also could require swirl and haze remover with the orange pad, followed by the FMP and white pad.

Are you using a PC for the correction? If so, only use 3 pea sized drops of polish on the pad and a squirt of DS for each 2x2' area, that's all it needs - too much polish slows down the correction.

The IPA wipedown uses a 50/50 solution of 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water. Spray it on the clean finish, rub it around with a microfiber pad, then wipe it off with a single soft microfiber. This will leave the paint clean and ready for polishing.

Thanks guys! I have watched the videos several times. I will start with the fine machine polish once she gets back from the dealer. (few issues they missed before delivery)

I can't wait to get started, I am an avid DIY'er and there is nothing better than admiring your own work instead of paying someone else to admire theirs.

Welcome Denton!

As the others have said, start with the lease aggressive polish and work a 2 ft. x 2 ft. area first. Work that area through the full range of polishes. It is very tempting to grab the new toys and go to town on the whole car (guilty! :o), but perfect your technique on the small area first.

Archived