Customer Service 866.965.0400

Lookin at Laptops and Tv's advice please

ExpressThis13

So with income tax time coming around the corner soon I am looking at upgrading from my old desktop and big projection screen tv so something more modern. I do have both a PS3 and Xbox360 that I use on the regular so I am looking for a 1080 and at least 120hz and am looking for suggestions. We have a 55" LG upstairs thats a 1080 and 600hz but I dont want to spend that kind of money. Im looking to spend between 500-800. As far as laptops looking around 400 and it doesn't have to be anything special as I only use it for internet and music. Any help would be appreciated I have found a few TV's one is an Insignia but not sure how good of a tv they are so I'm throwing this out hoping some of you Tech's can help me out here.

Dell has laptops starting at $500. i still have one thats about 7 years old that i use just for my Diablosport programmer tunes/updates/data logging, and my navigation firmware updates. i used to use it daily in college for 4 solid years. only thing is i upgraded the memory and had to get a new battery for it my senior year, so lasted about 4 years. i then bought a macbook pro 17" after college and would still have it but i inherted an iMac from my wife, so we sold the macbook, and i kept the dell for tunes, etc.

its going to be hard to find a laptop for under $400 unless its used or refurbished. try craigslist and see what you find.

i'm a big fan of Sony. seems every electronic device i buy from Sony looks and runs better than others, and out lasts other brands. like that ol' sayin' " you get what you pay for!" because they are usually the most expensive. i have 2 Sony LCD TVs now that are each about 4 years old with 1080p and 120Hz. they run just fine and the picture is no different than the display TVs at stores.

Insignia isn't a bad brand. i believe they are only sold at Best Buy though. i would prefer to have a Sony, Samsung, or LG, over Insignia.

i usually like to shop at Best Buy for electronics, find what i like, then buy it cheaper elsewhere :D

From an IT standpoint... You'll never get a good reliable computer for $400. Basically what you are buying when you buy a cheap laptop is a computer that will last about 2-3 years. I've never owned a PC Laptop for more than 3 years. However I have owned the same Mac for 5 years and I have no intention on selling it anytime soon. Just my $0.02.

Thanks guys. I am a fan of Samsung. Going to stores the Samsung always stuck out I thought the picture was great nice bright and crisp. As far as laptops I found a Toshiba laptop at Samsclub for 400 bucks didnt seem a bad laptop. Parents have an ASUS but they paid for it. Im tryin to stay in a decent budget.

I love the picture on samsungs. I have a 46" LED 1080 that has an awesome picture! I recently got a 26" LED for my girlfriend that is only 720 but sitting side by side to a toshiba 1080 the Samsung had a MUCH better picture than the Toshiba did, even though it has a lower resolution. I also looked at the Samsung plasmas, but just couldn't get away from the LEDs picture! (we also have a 60" Samsung plasma downstairs) Another brand to consider would be Vizio. I think the picture on those are pretty good too and they aren't too expensive.

i'm waiting to buy 3D stuff until you don't need glasses :cool:

me too :D i have prescription glasses to 3D over them doesnt really work, and i hate contacts. If i remember correctly one did just come out you dont need glasses for? but i could be mistaken.

As for the OP, nice vizio pickup, thats what we have for every TV in my house, I love em. But for computers, I'd pick up a refurbished macbook through apple dot com, great computer and they come with warranties.

I would go with Sony on the TV. Just watch you might find a special on a nice laptop. I purchased a Dell laptop refurbished Dell Corporate machine (cheap and to use when out away from home and the office). It has held up great but it is not used every day (once a week for sure).

Vizio makes a good product as well. I manage a retail store and we have an extensive electronics department and the return rate is very low on Samsung, Vizio, and Sony. Watch out for Phillips, Asus, and Hitachi.

Guest Gone & Forgotten

If you're not a snob, try out dell outlet - facebook them for 15-25% discount codes - I got 2 - Studio 17 laptops (core i7, 6gb ram, 640 gig hd, touchscreen on mine - not the wife's, backlit keyboard on both, and 9cell batteries) for $1070 shipped with tax. Using 25% off coupon codes. Granted that was a year ago + but hey, when I configured just my laptop alone in the dell.com storefront, it was $1349. for JUST MINE. Both were 'scratch and dent' models. Mine Obsidian Black (only color avail for touch screen) and hers is a metallic green rubbery coating - no scratches, no dents. Just cheap laptops that are still problem free after 15 months.

Oh, plus I got 12 mo. no interest.

side note : I have a 42" plasma (6 years old) and a 3 year old 67" Samsung LED DLP set. The heat from the plasma is ridiculous. Not much has changed. Before you buy one - feel the display model for heat around the back of it. LED LCD's are lower power consumption and therefor, save you money on power and repairs from the damage excessive heat does to our equipment. It also raises the ambient temp of the room it's in significantly.

Just food for thought man.

I love my DLP. Uses 112w of power for 67" of heaven. I use a Kill-a-watt meter from newegg to measure the power consumption.

The Plasma burns like 330w.

side note : I have a 42" plasma (6 years old) and a 3 year old 67" Samsung LED DLP set. The heat from the plasma is ridiculous. Not much has changed. Before you buy one - feel the display model for heat around the back of it. LED LCD's are lower power consumption and therefor, save you money on power and repairs from the damage excessive heat does to our equipment. It also raises the ambient temp of the room it's in significantly.

Just food for thought man.

I love my DLP. Uses 112w of power for 67" of heaven. I use a Kill-a-watt meter from newegg to measure the power consumption.

The Plasma burns like 330w.

:iagree: You can also pick up one of those kill a watts at your local Home Depot. Here is what they look like. Found that falling asleep with the TV on in the bedroom was the energy hog.

Kill A Watt EZ Meter-P4460 at The Home Depot

I have a Sony breva (sp) and had it for 3 years now. Great picture. But don't use it everyday as it's our secondary set.

bravia

and thats what my 2 TVs are. got my 46" at Circuit City when they were closing down for 50% off, last one in the box! my 32" was a Christmas present.

• 3 months later...

I bought my MacBook Pro in 2008. The extended warranty has paid for its self at least twice now. A broken screen, harddrive, keyboard and trackpad all replaced for free. Never had any problems with repairs and it's the best laptop I've ever used. It's now 2012 and I've put over 729 cycles on the battery and I still am faster than most window boxes I see today.

I just wanted to update I purchased a 51" Samsung 720 Plasma great picture and sound for my needs and at 600 bucks couldn't complain much. bought about a month ago no compaints.

I love Samsung, great product. Next time i upgrade it will be 55" or bigger

I bought my MacBook Pro in 2008. The extended warranty has paid for its self at least twice now. A broken screen, harddrive, keyboard and trackpad all replaced for free. Never had any problems with repairs and it's the best laptop I've ever used. It's now 2012 and I've put over 729 cycles on the battery and I still am faster than most window boxes I see today.

Typically the batteries are good for about 1000 cycles, then the performance will start to decrease as far as the batteries go.

Archived