Customer Service 866.965.0400

5 days and 1500 miles of Neglect!

Z71_Denali

Question

this is the dirtiest i've ever seen my truck in the year and a half of ownership. we went skiing in Ruidoso, NM last weekend. on the 2nd day of our road trip, we got stuck in blizzard like weather as we entered the town of Ruidoso. trucks were plowing and salting the roads, highway patrol was stopping people who didn't have 4x4 or tire chains from driving up the 2 lane, 12 mile road that goes up the mountain to the ski resort.

Needless to say, most of this happened on that day of the trip. the interior dirtiness occurred throughout our stay, hopping in and out after a long day of skiing. there was 4 people in my extended cab, so the rear mats and seats saw there fair share of it too.

this is what i woke up to Tuesday after we safely made it back home:

3ea57af4.jpg

ea279343.jpg

9b41255a.jpg

a3820089.jpg

bug guts in mid February :confused:

bf31a890.jpg

a1425b78.jpg

somebody spilt tea right here by the door sill!!!

d19e735b.jpg

d3ee88b2.jpg

e4fb3fe4.jpg

needless to say, Tuesday evening i spent about half an hour at the nearby coin-op wash pressure washing the exterior and vacuuming the interior. i knew this job was too much for my karcher electric washer and vac-n-blo 500!

after the pressure wash it was beginning to look 100x better, although nothing came off the wheels/tires, and there were now water spots all over because it got too dark to complete a 2 bucket wash. Yesterday morning, i finally had time to do a full 2 bucket wash with some mixed results...

after the wash i found these small rust looking spots throughout the bottom half of the doors, as well as on the bedsides and tailgate. no matter how much i scrubbed with my mitt, they weren't coming off. i could feel them as i dragged my hand across them, and my fingernail was able to remove it. so it looks like my Spring paint correction will be done a month early!!!! clay bar should get rid of the spots no problem, and leave me with a bare canvas to work my magic with the PC and Adam's SHR and FMP, followed up with 2 coats of MSS since she sits outdoors and is driven daily no matter the weather.

my neighbor asked me how much i would charge to detail his 2006 BMW X5... i might have my first client in the near future!!! i quoted him $20 per hour (i'm no Dylan von Kleist!) and the detail should take between 6-8 hours. he wasn't looking for a full correction, just a really good refresher for it before he sells it for something newer. with that time frame i'll probably just have time to detail the interior and spot clean any stains, wash, clay, 1 pass of SHP, FMP, BG, and Americana, and dress the trim and undercarriage with SVRT and UCS

15 answers to this question

here are some after shots!

738652c3.jpg

ee2854df.jpg

0a192a84.jpg

it always rains the day after i wash my truck! wheels already have some water spots from the wet roads! nothing a little WW and waffle weave towel can't handle this evening. luckily i park in a garage at work.

b37d961b.jpg

interior is just vacuumed right now; this evening i'll be cleaning & conditioning the seats, door panels, and dash. then clay and seal the windshield... looking at this photo i forgot to clean the mats :mad:

2484e3cc.jpg

here are the little spots i was talking about... no clue what it is. had to occurred from the roads while in Ruidoso or on the way to there.

a35e7d69.jpg

That is called rail dust. If you live around an area that has train tracks you can get it. Or in your case you picked it up from the blade of the snow plows. It is metal (notice the sparks from the plow going down the road) from the blade on the plow and then when you drive on the roads it gets onto your paint. Clay bar will make short work of those.

BTW how did you chain up experience turn out?

That is called rail dust. If you live around an area that has train tracks you can get it. Or in your case you picked it up from the blade of the snow plows. It is metal (notice the sparks from the plow going down the road) from the blade on the plow and then when you drive on the roads it gets onto your paint. Clay bar will make short work of those.

BTW how did you chain up experience turn out?

snow plow makes a lot of since now. hopefully i can sneak out early in the morning this saturday to clay, polish, & seal the truck before my wife wakes up and hands me a list of chores and errands to do with her! :xfingers:

we bought chains, but by the time we got to the road leading up the mountain that required them, there was a guy taking down the sign that said "chains required"! everyone we talked to that put them on said they were a royal pain in the a$$!!! the place we bought them let us return them unopened for a full refund minus 1 day's rental charge of $30.

My question is...was your vacation worth a little dirt and crud?

It looks all pretty and clean again so your answer should have been "yes"!:D

yeah! i wasn't too worried about the truck on the trip' date=' so long as no one touched the dirty paint and they kept their shoes on the mats. my wife was shocked when i didn't get all bent outta shape about the spilt tea... i knew the Carpet & Upholstery Cleaner would get it out of the black carpet with ease... and it did when i cleaned it last night. all in all it only took 3 hours to clean inside and out, worth it.

it took all day thursday and friday morning to get there, we skied friday thru sunday, and it took sunday night and all day monday to get back. 3 days in the car for 3 days on the mountain wasn't bad! our passengers complained about the drive, but it was their own fault for not booking the flights to Midland sooner where we met another group and spent the night along the way. i preferred to drive, because it was cheaper than flying and renting something that could fit the ski equipment and luggage.

i wish i could post the video of my wife, me, and my buddy jumping this ramp; the ending is hilarious! but the one who shot it only posted it on facebook and its visible only to her friends. on the video my wife lands but loses balances and fall over sideways, i land, then my buddy has a yard sale and ends up with snow in his bushy eyebrows!

here's some of the photos we took during our trip:

post-2402-136818066071_thumb.jpg

view from the top of the skiing area

post-2402-136818066077_thumb.jpg

view from the road going down the mountain

post-2402-136818066085_thumb.jpg

Archived