Customer Service 866.965.0400

Arlington, DC area?

Rich

Anyone here from the Arlington, DC area? Can you give me a heads up about which neighborhoods are good to live in? My daughter's job here in town will be gone in June, but the DEA has given her 10 days to accept a job with them in Arlington. She will most likely have to accept it since nothing else has come along and her husband's job (also govmt.) is also in jeopardy.

To say I'm ticked is an understatement. They and the grandkids live exactly 3 doors away and they just run up through the yards to visit. It's going to rip my wife's heart out if they have to move, especially to DC.

Anybody offer any advice? Appreciated.

I'm in the DMV as we call it...DC, Maryland, Virginia. Arlington is pretty nice overall. Being that VA is a commonwealth, there are a lot of benefits to staying there. One thing I'm not used to here in MD is paying a property tax for my vehicle. All the extra $ gained by the commonwealth state of VA shows in the cleanliness of the city. I've always liked the idea of living outside of DC but being within a very short drive away. Sorry, I can't recommended any particular neighborhoods in Arlington by name. Overall, I'd say VA is the safest of the 3 to live in. Hope that helps a bit.

DX on too many different ROMs to keep updating my signature - via Tapatalk

Rich - Arlington/northern Virginia is a big area, and expensive, too. (But very good schools). Because commutes around here are killer it would be best to try to find something as close to her place of business as possible.

In regard to the earlier post, there's NO personal properly tax on vehicles in MD (except maybe commercial vehicles?) but I think there IS PPT on cars in VA. But either jurisdiction -- MD or VA -- offers the just about the highest taxes you'll find. Be prepared for a shock.

Rich

Yeah VA has a PPT on vehicles...no bueno. Virginia state tax I think is in the ballpark of 5% if I am correct, but wouldn't doubt it goes up in the future.

Rent in Arlington alone can run $1,300 or more for just a studio and well over $2,000 for two or more bedrooms, aint cheap at all. I can't wait to move to an area with more affordable living after I finish my MBA. Being 25 and living here is not easy even on a good salary.

I grew up in Columbia, MD and I can't say it was any better cost wise.

Who are you kidding Rich... It'll rip your heart out too...

Chris

No denying that Chris. I may look big and tough, but those kids mean everything to me.:(

Rich - Arlington/northern Virginia is a big area, and expensive, too. (But very good schools). Because commutes around here are killer it would be best to try to find something as close to her place of business as possible.

In regard to the earlier post, there's NO personal properly tax on vehicles in MD (except maybe commercial vehicles?) but I think there IS PPT on cars in VA. But either jurisdiction -- MD or VA -- offers the just about the highest taxes you'll find. Be prepared for a shock.

Rich

Oops, after rereading my statement, it does appear that I'm implying that I pay PPT on my vehicle. Not what I meant. Yes VA does indeed had PPT as others have confirmed. Yes, commutes are a :( experience. As someone said, thy to get a place close to work. It'll save a lot of :explode:

Archived