Customer Service 866.965.0400

Hi! Gonzo from NJ living in Detroit area - 97 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC.

tbirddmnd

Great to be a member of the great Adam's forum, love the entire site!

I have a 1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (Luxury Sports Coupe) that I bought in August 2009 from a collector who knows these cars in an out. It has a 4.6L DOHC "COBRA" engine that came stock from the factory. The Lincoln Mark VIII got this engine in 1993 and had it until the end of the Mark series in 1998. The Mustang got that engine in 1996. When I got the car it had 88,000 miles on it and it now has 106,500. It's very strong and still has original paint. That's what led me here!

In doing research on Google I found a forum that referenced Adam's Polishes and got to read posts by someone named "Junkman" and "Dylan". I saw their work and wanted the same results for my Mark VIII. The specific thread was in a Camaro forum here.

I just picked up a Porter Cable 7346 (I think that's the number) that is basically the same as the 7424 but with better counterweights. I haven't really tried it out yet because I'm waiting for the weather to get a little better here in southeast Michigan - we really haven't had a winter to speak of and I'm grateful for that because I got to drive my Mark more often rather than have it sleep in the garage with a cover on it. My Mark has some light scratches in the clearcoat that were caused by a snow brush (I didn't do it!) and I need to get those out. I've researched, read, saw the videos on the site, I have the Adam's DVD, I also just picked up some Adam's PC pads and polishes so I'm all ready to go, plus last night I ordered the 4" foam pad set. Just need the WX to cooperate, I'd really rather do it in the driveway than in a cramped garage with a smelly kerosene heater!

Here are some pics of my Lincoln, which replaced a 97 Thunderbird Limited Edition V8. I'll try to post some pics of the scratches in a few days, and of course some pics of the end result. I claybar'd it 2 years ago and I need to do it again, then have at it with the PC. I used to do it all by hand and I'm done with that!

The link in my signature goes to my website - rather than promote myself which I'd rather not do on a very first post I'll let you have a look. I'm here to learn better techniques for making my car shine in and out!

Thanks for having me, I know I'm going to learn a lot!

Welcome Gonzo! :welcomebanner:

That paints looks good, but from your description you are ready to make it better!

I recommend trying the In & Out Spray and SVRT to shine up the engine compartment.

If you have any questions please ask away. There are lots of friendly, helpful folks on here.

Thanks Dave and mc2hill for the warm welcome!

My surface scratches from the snow brush aren't as bad as the ones I saw that Junkman tackled in the other forum's thread, and if those came out without a trace then I'm geeked about what I can do with mine using the Adam's polishes. I'm really looking forward to using that PC!

Great looking coupe -- you don't see too many of those anymore.

Your engine compartment is going to really pop once you give it the Adam's treatment. Look around the site for examples of engine cleaning.

And welcome to the obsession. :2thumbs:

Thanks everyone!

MAYBEN - I was born in Jersey City and I lived in Old Bridge/South Amboy until we moved to the Detroit area in 1986.

so you've been gone for almost 26 years.. and you still say you're from Jersey..

I'm from RI and will always be from RI, been in Jersey since 2006..

Thanks everyone!

Yes, 26 years! I like NJ better! In fact right now I'm wearing my Yankees dugout jacket and you should see the looks I get here in Tiger-town! My teams will always be the NY/NJ teams.

The "glass house" was built around 1957 and it's a favored spot for FLM owners to use as a background to take pics of their cars!

This weekend into early next week will warm up around here into the 60s, it's upper 30s now. Looking forward to breaking out the PC after a good wash, claybar, wash again.

• 2 weeks later...

We've been in some unseasonably warm WX like most of the country and I broke out the Porter Cable and my polishes! However I didn't do my Mark VIII, it was the wife's 2005 Ford Freestar Limited minivan! I washed, dried, then hit it with the claybar. There was LOTS of grime that the claybar took out! Although the body seemed fairly smooth it was even more smooth after the claybar! Another wash and dry after the clay, then down to serious business with the P-C.

I got around to only doing the swirl remover with the green pad because I got a late start to begin with. Today I plan to continue with the swirl/haze remover on the orange pad, then glaze it up with the white pad and hopefully put some wax on it with the black pad! It looks really great right now!

No pics yet but maybe soon, then I'll go at it with my Lincoln!

Couldn't find the time to finish the wife's Freestar van, plus she had it most of the day. I washed my Mark VIII, claybar'd it, then washed it again. Then the sun set! I'll have to continue tomorrow.

I last claybar'd it in 2010 and the clay was filthy. This evening it was dirty but not filthy like last time, and I was thorough. Looking forward to removing the scratches and abundant swirls, using the green, orange, white and black pads with my P-C. Pics when I can get them!

ADDED: Thanks Josh!

Archived