Customer Service 866.965.0400

TBSS Wheels

JBlack151

Question

Any advice on what would work best on the SS wheels that have the clear coating on them. Would the Revive Polish be a good option to bring them back to how they were off the factory line, or better?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

What did you use to get the clear off? How long total? Any machine work or all hand?

He probably used Aircraft Stripper. It's a bit of a task but it can be done. You can get it at AutoZone or places like that.

Some like to soak a rag in it, then wipe the surface, some spray it on....your call.

Mook

I did 4 hours of stripping and polishing yesterday. All are stripped and 3/4 have been hit with #0000 steel wool and MP #1, then MP #1 with a MF app. Hoping to hit them all with MP #2 tonight, followed by BG and Americana.

:thumbsup: Can't wait to see pics!!

:thumbsup: Can't wait to see pics!!

Yeah Nick! I can't wait to see those pics either!

You and me both!

They're going to definitely be shiny, but they won't have a perfect finish like a chrome plated wheel would. The factory finish leaves a lot to be desired. Quite a bit of orange peel and minor defects come through once you get the clear stripped off.

He probably used Aircraft Stripper. It's a bit of a task but it can be done. You can get it at AutoZone or places like that.

Some like to soak a rag in it, then wipe the surface, some spray it on....your call.

Mook

We so need an UNLIKE button! AZ:mad:? Seriously? pashaw!

NAPA all the way.. Locally Owned! :banana::banana:

Thanks bud!

^:lol:

I would have said Napa, but the one up the street from me doesn't carry it.

:(

Also, the jerk that owns that particular store needs a come to Jesus talk with some of his employees. I literally walked out of there after one employee couldn't take two seconds to answer a question for me. Instead, he passed the buck to his co-worker, who in turn, had to ask the jerk that bumped me away to begin with.

Long story short, I left the $100 worth of stuff on his counter, then went to AutoZone to get what I needed. Hope he thought about me when he was re-stocking.

Mook

:lol:

Yes, I used what aircraft stripper I had left, then I bought some other sprayable stripper from Home Depot that actually did a pretty good job. It took two applications and I needed to spot-treat a few stubborn areas before I started polishing.

I used an un-named red foam ball on the end of a cordless drill for most of the heavy work with MP #1, then I hit some of the spots that weren't shining up like I thought they should by hand.

MP #2 was all applied by hand. Wiped down with IPA to remove any left-over oils/polish, then put down 2 coats of Quick Sealant on the front of each wheel and 1 coat on the barrels.

Once both of those cured out, I topped with a coat of Americana. Dressed the tires with VRT and....BAM, melting faces!

I stripped/cleaned/sealed the barrels, but no polishing. I figure it would have taken me at least another 6-8 hours to do the barrels, and I wasn't in the mood for that lol.

I'm actually contemplating painting them black. I think that would really help reflect the polished faces.

Archived