Customer Service 866.965.0400

GM Fullsize truck owners please step in.

ExpressThis13

I have a 07 Silverado 1500 NNBS (GMT-900) and for the past 2 weeks I have been smelling what seems to be burning brakes from my driver side front. It got to the point where my wheel was shaking badly this weekend and the wheel was so hot I couldn't touch it but for a split second but passenger side was warm but not nearly as hot. So sunday my brother and I took my wheel off after letting it cool down and come to find out these trucks has dual piston calipers which number 1 impressed me but one of them had siezed up thus burning brakes. Now the truck is 5 years old obviously and at just over 100k miles the truck does not sit any extended period of time and the dealership had replaced the rotors and pads and they did look brand new infact I didn't replace anything but the caliper (which was $50 for anyone wondering) because everything was still in good shape.

So my question to those of you with silverados, tahoe, avalanche and so forth does this seem to be a common issue with these trucks? Its odd my 03 SS had no issues of the sort and my dad has a 97 1500 with just over 100k miles on it with no caliper issues. I have a friend who just replaced both front caliper on a 2010 silverado with 10k miles on it. So just wondering do I need to be concerned in the future that my other side may sieze up as well? Also when we tried to bleed my brakes today 2 of the 4 bleeder valves were rusted shut.

ADDED TODAY:

So today I decided to start the paint correction on my truck I got my tailgate and drivers side bed done before mother nature ruined my afternoon. Now this is not my first silverado but I have what seems to be these paint matched viynls on the lower part of my truck behind the tires and it is faded and the edges have wax and clay and is hard to remove thus looking like hell. Just wondering if anyone elses truck has these and what I may be able to do about them.

Not so much an issue with the particular make just the area. I have owned fullsize GM trucks for almost 30 years and have only had one caliper ever fail. That was because my truck sat for over 6 months while I was overseas working. Right now I have a 2006 with 125K miles on it and a 2011 with 30K miles on it. No problems so far.

Just rebuild the calipers on it and you should be good to go! This is a pretty easy job, but will entail bleeding the brakes as well as tearing the calipers apart.

Dual piston calipers aren't odd Eric. Heck, my '98 F150 has them.

Chris

i've been on the gm truck forums for a couple years now and this is the first i've seen of this happening. if its only $50 for a new caliper, thats not too bad, and easier than rebuilding. you might recoup some money by selling the used part to someone that would want to rebuild it.

Never had that type of issues on my 02 or 08 Avalanche, nor any of the work Silverado's we have ... Kinda odd, may be a particular incident?

I certainly hope so scared the hell outta me when my truck felt like it was gonna shake apart

Just rebuild the calipers on it and you should be good to go! This is a pretty easy job, but will entail bleeding the brakes as well as tearing the calipers apart.

Dual piston calipers aren't odd Eric. Heck, my '98 F150 has them.

Chris

Well it just surprised me is all with it having drums in the rear and it just being a 1500 2wd I was just kinda taken back. It was just easier to replace it than rebuild it

i've been on the gm truck forums for a couple years now and this is the first i've seen of this happening. if its only $50 for a new caliper, thats not too bad, and easier than rebuilding. you might recoup some money by selling the used part to someone that would want to rebuild it.

I got it at autozone so it had a 35 core charge otherwise it would have been over $80 for everything but I didn't $50 was bad at all and truck is doing just fine.

This is the first one I've heard of, so I'd chalk it up as an isolated incident. I wouldn't expect the other side to seize up, but for $50 you may want to go ahead and swap it for peace of mind.

Archived