Customer Service 866.965.0400

Pressure Washer Question

blakjax

Question

Hey everyone, I have a quick question about using a power washer. I just bought a 1500 psi unit that was on sale at Lowe's for around the house cleaning and would like to use it on my car as well. However, I have heard from some people that using a pressure washer can damage a cars paint. Is this true and has anyone experienced this? I cant adjust the pressure on the washer, so it looks likes 1500 psi will be the lowest pressure I can use. I apologize for the noob questions, but I have been using a traditional fire hose nozzle with a garden hose method for years and am new to using a power washer. Thank you in advance for the help and I will post some pics of my cleaned up S4 after I wash her this weekend!

9 answers to this question

Ok well I'm sure you could harm your paint yes If you use it incorrectly, like for example putting the wand tip about an inch away from your paint on a stream yes it could do some harm maybe. just use a fan nozzle like 45 degrees and you wont have any problems, but don't be scared to get close to the paint to blast some crud off thats what its there for :thumbsup:

I believe that most car washes have 1400 psi. You should be ok as long as you don't use the pin point tip.

Neighbor across the street loaned his to a friend. He used that "pin point tip" spray pattern to remove some bugs off his windshield and shattered it.

I have used a pressure washer from time to time for years and have had no issues with it affecting paint. Like Chris above said your local coin op is the same concept.

Just use common sense... like the others pointed out don't use the pin point tip at close distances to your car. Stick to a wide fan, keep the nozzle a reasonable distance from your car and avoid steep angles near things like vinyl graphics, badges, trim, or clear bras.

Exactly what Dylan said and also be careful with convertible tops as well. I've had to correct someone who used a pin point tip on a Cadillac soft top.....oh boy what a mess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Like others have said you should be fine with that low of a pressure using a fan tip.

I have a pressure Karcher gas powered pressure washer that is rated at 2400 psi. I use it with the 40 degree fan tip and have no issues. I usually stay at least 1 ft away from the paint. When trying to remove bug guts from plastic air dams I will get closer, but am always careful on the paint. If the paint is compromised (cracks, chips which leave a slight gap under an edge of the paint) a pressure washer can lift the compromised part of the paint if you work it too much.

Also, I occasionally spray my hand from about 18 inches away to feel the pattern coming out of the nozzle. It should feel consistent across the entire fan. If you feel any "sharp" spots in the pattern GET A DIFFERENT NOZZLE. Some nozzles can be defective and they also wear over time.

:cheers:

Archived