Customer Service 866.965.0400

From detailing a Camaro to a Jaguar

camaroguylenny

Question

We recently traded in our 2010 Camaro for a 2012 Jaguar XJ through an UNBELIEVABLE Parter's Plus lease program. The Jaguar definitely needs the full Adam's treatment (clear coat scratches everywhere) but I've only detailed our Camaro and a couple of Nissan Sentra's. Knowing the price of this car has me a little worried but I feel I can do it, especially knowing I can always reach out to the forum for assistance. I do have a couple of initial questions though.

Is the Jaguar clear coat or paint of any concern as compared to the Camaro for applying the product with my PC? And with the release of the Quick Sealant last year, is the following the correct order?

1. 2 bucket wash

2. clay

3. Swirl & Haze Remover

4. Fine Machine Polish

5. Machine Super Sealant

6. Quick Sealant

7. Brilliant Glaze

8. Americana

Thank you in advance for any input or advice you may have.

24 answers to this question

Can I change your name then?

I like the new XJ's. My parents had an '89 and had stupid little issues with it, but they've come a LONG way since then.

You should be fine doing it as you listed! AQS isn't necessary after MSS if you want to skip a step. One or the other will suffice, unless you are going for ultimate protection.

Chris

You don't really need machine sealant and spray sealant. Don't use severe swirl remover unless swirl and haze on the orange pad won't remove the imperfections to your desired look. After applying machine sealant you need to wait 24 hours before moving to glaze and americana. Spray sealant is 20 minutes if I remember correctly.

Price of the car doesn't matter. Worst you can do it ruin the paint. :jester:

If you take your time and use the least aggressive method I don't think you'll have any issues regardless the price of the car.

Congratulations on the new Jag, Lenny! You shouldn't have much problem with the PC on the XJ's clear. I have a 2010 XF and have had outstanding results with the PC. The only variation from PC SOP is that I find I get better results using the 6 setting rather than 5. Not sure if that is a factor of the Jaguar clear coat or just my technique. I would recommend starting at 5 and evaluating your results.

As others before have mentioned, no need to apply both the machine super sealant and the spray sealant. I usually skip sealants and go straight to Brilliant Glaze followed by Americana

Edited by samers

Congratulations on the new Jag, Lenny! You shouldn't have much problem with the PC on the XJ's clear. I have a 2010 XF and have had outstanding results with the PC. The only variation from PC SOP is that I find I get better results using the 6 setting rather than 5. Not sure if that is a factor of the Jaguar clear coat or just my technique. I would recommend starting at 5 and evaluating your results.

As others before have mentioned, no need to apply both the machine super wax and the spray sealant. I usually skip sealants and go straight to Brilliant Glaze

So you don't put any protection on at all, or do you top with Americana?

I did a XJ not to long ago and the thing was well taken care of but still took 2 passes of the SSHR 2 passes of the SHR and two passes of the FMP all with the PC. The dang thing had a pretty hard clear on it if you ask me! Just remember to start of with a 2X2 spot first! I'm sure it will turn out great

:cheers:

Finished the detail a couple of weeks ago and finally took some pics. I was able to take care of 90-95% of the scratches on the car. Only a few individual scratches that were a little deeper than the others remain, but these I can live with.

The clear coat on this car seemed to be much harder than the Nissan's or Chevy I completed before. Overall I'm very happy with the results but think it may be time to move up to the Flex. I think it would have shortened the time required for the correction but I am only detailing my own cars and can't justify the expense at this point. I'll just keep an eye out for a deal.

Below are a few before and some after pics. The metallic paint made it tough to capture all the defects, but trust me, they were everywhere.

Thanks again for the advice!

Before:

Nicely Done!!!! Those B-pillars are a pain--instaswirl after correction even with protection. Not to mention the transfer onto the pads. Nice choice on the color too.

Every time I see a Jag I think to myself how much of a PITA it would be to polish the hood of one of them. But it looks like that model doesn't have the swoopy-hood. Shouldn't be a problem... I wonder how hard/soft the clear coat is on them?

Every time I see a Jag I think to myself how much of a PITA it would be to polish the hood of one of them. But it looks like that model doesn't have the swoopy-hood. Shouldn't be a problem... I wonder how hard/soft the clear coat is on them?

The hood was a little challenging but the rest of the car was pretty easy with very little taping required.

I'm a little baffled with the clear coat. The scratches were everywhere so I thought the clear coat must be really soft but the actual removal of them with a PC was more difficult than the Camaro or Sentra's I did last year.

Lenny, I have a 2012 XF that I've been doing correction on recently, and that plastic between the doors (B Pillar) is really irritating. As Samer pointed out, they're really really soft, and I haven't found anything yet to get rid of all the swirls - I've not yet used Adams polishes, only cleaners, glaze and wax so far. Which product did you use for that plastic?

Lenny, I have a 2012 XF that I've been doing correction on recently, and that plastic between the doors (B Pillar) is really irritating. As Samer pointed out, they're really really soft, and I haven't found anything yet to get rid of all the swirls - I've not yet used Adams polishes, only cleaners, glaze and wax so far. Which product did you use for that plastic?

FMP using the 4" white pad usually knocks them out within two passes. It's not correcting them that is challenging, keeping the swirl demon away is. Even with wax, a perfect finish usually doesn't last more than a week on the B pillar.

Samers, I have tried some M************* in the past, and that got rid of some of them. I'll give a finishing polish a go and see how I get on.

I have quite a few polishes from other brands, and I've already spent hundreds of dollars with Adam's over the last few weeks. I can't justify getting a set of Adam's polishes just yet... but I may have to give in to the urge sooner or later.

Edited by Mook@Adams
Can't mention competitor products.