Customer Service 866.965.0400

Removing Wax?

emx620

Question

I searched around the forum for an answer to my question before posting, and the closest related thing I could find is http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/hand-polishing/5925.htm. I wanted this thread to be included in the waxing section, so this is why I made a new post.

Now unto my actual question -- Do you need to remove an old application of old wax before applying Americana Wax (or a combination with Adam's Brilliant Glaze) again? My car has been polished by myself before in the last year, and currently has a coat of Americana on it. I read with Carnauba waxes a con for them is you need to remove any prior/old waxes before applying a new coat. Is this true?

For a shortened version, I will normally wash my car, dry it, and then apply a fresh coat of wax if needed. Does this sound right? Do I need to remove the old coat? I read one of the few straight forward ways to remove a wax was using a harsh detergent, and this was not prudent to do on a regular basis -- is there a better way to remove an old coat of wax short of claying? Should I go with Adam's Machine Super Sealant instead of the wax for longevity purposes?

Please advise, and thanks for your time!

-An inquisitive Adam's customer

20 answers to this question

I just saw this article -_____-

I still feel my question is valid -- how do you go about removing an old coat of wax if you wash/wax to make sure your car has a good coat of wax on a regular basis? Besides beading, is there any other way to tell if your coat of wax is completely gone? Do you have to remove a partial coat of wax before reapplying a new coat?

Thanks.

As long as you don't have several coats of build up, you will be ok to wax again without removing the old wax. However if you get too much of build up your paint will get cloudy looking. So at that point you should strip down and start over.

Now unto my actual question -- Do you need to remove an old application of old wax before applying Americana Wax (or a combination with Adam's Brilliant Glaze) again? My car has been polished by myself before in the last year, and currently has a coat of Americana on it. I read with Carnauba waxes a con for them is you need to remove any prior/old waxes before applying a new coat. Is this true?

Your plan sounds fine. Like Chris said, it takes several coats of wax to cause isses. If you are waxing 3-4 times a year you should have not have any problems. If you are waxing monthly (or more often) you may experience hazing.

I would suggest a 'strip' wash of some type - APC added to Car Wash Shampoo, washing with Dawn, or a regular wash followed by a wipe down with IPA, about every 6 months.

The only product that requires removal of the old protection is MSS. Since it is a sealant it needs to go directly on the paint.

Keep in mind also that as your car sits outside, driving or at a show or what ever you do with your car, the carnuba based waxes will deteriorate at a faster rate than say AQS or MSS will. So if it's been a year or so since you last put a coat of it on, you're MORE than fine putting another one on. Now, if your car is sitting inside all the time and never sees the light of day, you may run into an issue. Honestly, if it's a garage queen and only gets taken out a couple of times a year, you can use Americana a couple of times a year and use DS to make it have that just waxed look without worrying about clouding.

I use IPA to get rid of old wax build up. I have it in a spray bottle at 50/50 or 70/30 with water and spritz a MF WW towel with it and then wipe over the surface.

Chris

Edited by Chewy

Keep in mind also that as your car sits outside, driving or at a show or what ever you do with your car, the carnuba based waxes will deteriorate at a faster rate than say AQS or MSS will. So if it's been a year or so since you last put a coat of it on, you're MORE than fine putting another one on. Now, if your car is sitting inside all the time and never sees the light of day, you may run into an issue. Honestly, if it's a garage queen and only gets taken out a couple of times a year, you can use Americana a couple of times a year and use DS to make it have that just waxed look without worrying about clouding.

I use IPA to get rid of old wax build up. I have it in a spray bottle at 50/50 or 70/30 with water and spritz a rag with it and then wipe over the surface.

Chris

My car is a daily driver, so I'd say it is anything but a garage queen :-) I live in Austin, TX, so its normally sunny, but I do have garage parking during the day at work. How long should I expect to see out of a coat of Americana?

How is the water beading up currently on your paint? Does it look like it needs waxed? With APW, applying every 2 mos. even is what I do.

Chewy, everytime I see that kid, he has some sort of cleaning utensil or APC in his hand.

Friends don't let friends make their kids housekeepers... :lol::lol::lol:

My car is a daily driver, so I'd say it is anything but a garage queen :-) I live in Austin, TX, so its normally sunny, but I do have garage parking during the day at work. How long should I expect to see out of a coat of Americana?

In Austin? A lot of things come into play...climate, weather, where it stays when it's parked, etc.

A good rule of thumb is to start with two thin coats, then observe it from there, for proper beading. Like I said in a previous post, I go about every two months, and at about the 6 week mark, I apply BG in there also.

Mook

Chewy, everytime I see that kid, he has some sort of cleaning utensil or APC in his hand.

He LOVES to emulate his father. I think it's great! I'll be dusting and he has his own so he can follow me around. I give him kudos the whole time. When he sees me wipe the fridge and oven down, I give him his own MF towel to follow behind me. Again, giving him positive reinforcements the whole time. My kids WILL have chores, and WILL help their parents. My wife was brought up not having to do chores. Her dad didn't believe they should have to. B.S.:willy:

On a DD in the hot Texas sun, you could get away with putting a coat on probably bi weekly in the hotter months, but once a month is MORE than enough. Less often if you want to is OK though.

Chris

How is the water beading up currently on your paint? Does it look like it needs waxed? With APW, applying every 2 mos. even is what I do.

Water seems to bead just fine when washing the car. The current coat of wax is probably 3 weeks old. I guess just keep an eye on how water beads when I wash it, and reapply a new coat as necessary?

Water seems to bead just fine when washing the car. The current coat of wax is probably 3 weeks old. I guess just keep an eye on how water beads when I wash it, and reapply a new coat as necessary?

For that just waxed look, hit it with some DS. :thumbsup:

What happens if you use full strength IPA?

There are reports that IPA at full strength could damage the clearcoat. Diluting the 70% or 90% solutions 50/50 with water should be sufficient to remove waxes or sealants.

There are reports that IPA at full strength could damage the clearcoat. Diluting the 70% or 90% solutions 50/50 with water should be sufficient to remove waxes or sealants.

I would not think it would be any more harmful than 3M wax and adhesive remover or other strong solvents. When you say damage are you talking about maybe clouding or something?