Customer Service 866.965.0400

Need help from you Northerners

Opeth

Question

I purchased some spare floor mats from a fellow G8 owner. I wanted a backup pair should something happen to mine.

Well the guy who sold them lives up north and the mats are caked with salt and whatever other stuff they de-snow with. I already used CUC and the carpet brush to no avail. Being from SC, I've never encountered this stuff before and it's pretty stout.

As you can see in the pics, it is caked around the edges of the mats and there are salt stains on carpet of the mat.

I don't have a bissell or anything more powerful than a shopvac.

2012-04-13202303.jpg

2012-04-13202058.jpg

Any suggestions?

14 answers to this question

Like someone else said, wash them out well. You could use the fire hose nozzle and just keep rinsing them well and agitating them with the carpet brush or you can take them to the car wash and use the pressure wash, no soap!

You shouldn't need the CUC to remove the excess deposits you have in the rugs. If I recall correctly, the CUC is a sodium based cleaner and right now you have lots of sodium based chemicals in that rug. Just use water to dissolve and flush away the excess deposits.

Then use your shop vac to help dry them out. Based on my experience that should remove most, if not all, of what I see in the pics.

:cheers:

How did things come out with this? I had some salt build-up in my old GP driver's side floor-board(around my all-weather rubber mats) and if I remember correctly I used some white vinegar and it came out pretty easy.

BTW I am not a fan of those factory floormats in the g8, seems like they should be built a little better.

How did things come out with this? I had some salt build-up in my old GP driver's side floor-board(around my all-weather rubber mats) and if I remember correctly I used some white vinegar and it came out pretty easy.

BTW I am not a fan of those factory floormats in the g8, seems like they should be built a little better.

I ended up just using my fireman's nozzle with some carpet/upholstery cleaner. Worked just fine. Didnt think to try the white vinegar. But it got them clean just fine. took some time to dry out though.

use a mixture of 50/50 warm water and white vinager in a spray bottle apply a good amount ,let sit for 10-15 minutes then pat dry DO NOT RUB may not all come out on first try you may have to do 2-3 times depending on how bad the stains are but this will work i've done it, car may smell like vinager for a day or so but it will go away.

Being from Canada and seeing some ugly weather, salt stains like this are normal. Best thing to do is rinse them off with a power washer, spray CUC, scrub really well, rinse again with the power washer and lay them out in the sun to dry.