Customer Service 866.965.0400

Do you guys know what "Sonos" is?

3PedalMINI

Do you Guys know what sonos is  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you Guys know what sonos is

• Yes, I know what sonos is and what its about!
    • Yes, I have an idea but dont really know what its about
    • Yes, ive heard of it before
    • No, What are you talking about?

do you guys know what sonos is? im putting together a deal that includes one sonos amp and a pair of bose outdoor speakers with installation for $879.99 (usually I charge $1,649)

this is for a deal that goes out to every angies list member in the area. im doing this as a loss leader, but allows me to upsell more zones and speakers at full retail. Best of all this doesnt cost me a dime and lets everyone know "IM Here!"

I know behind bose, from my standpoint it seems that everyone knows what sonos is. Im trying to figure out if i want to do sonos or just a plain old amp.

TIA guys :D I really have no other way of gauging consumer response :help:

I do, but I use to do A/V like you.

I guess you would have to look at other factors as well. Do you want to upsell and stay with sonos, or be able to use the bose speakers with a different setup with more flexibility or options?

That for me would be hard to judge and definitely hard to judge without knowing the customers wants/needs or options to upgrade later on.

I do, but I use to do A/V like you.

I guess you would have to look at other factors as well. Do you want to upsell and stay with sonos, or be able to use the bose speakers with a different setup with more flexibility or options?

thats my whole thing, to the masses sonos just plain works. Ive tried to stay away from it as long as possible but am tired of turning away people that call asking if i do sonos. This will never replace a true DA system controlled through crestron, C4 or RTI. But for the masses that want tunes in a few rooms it makes sense to them.

I am currently going through the process of becoming a direct dealer with them, im tired of turning away potential customers. Now, if i go to their house to install it and they say they want their entire back yard with tunes then its an intirely different system and ill just use a connect, with a converter into a 70v amp. This really is a way to get me infront of alot of people and the potential to sell sell sell$$$$ if it doesnt work then i have a bunch of angies list ratings :2thumbs::rolleyes:

the fact that its so easy to upsell more zones with sonos makes this an attractive option.

I had customers learn the hard way to just start with Crestron and add to it. It's a big lump of money to start, but it was was a lot cheaper to start with crestron rather than upgrade to it and have to swap out a lot of equipment.

I would do a package with sonos and before installing it, just let them know of all the different options that come with sonos and that you also do crestron/c4/etc and the cost associated with each.

I'd still do it to get your name out there. You never know. What if their neighbor saw they had that sonos/bose setup and calls you and says they want to out-do their neighbor? BAM, crestron control panels and all!!!

I know what Sonos is, but only because I had once looked at doing some whole home audio in a house that I owned in the past.

Didn't like Sonos, felt it was too "consumerish", too focused on the marketing side and felt it was too "closed" of a system. Also felt that there wasn't good information on the audio quality available. All the info seemed to be focused on how easy it was but nothing about how good the quality was or how the system was engineered for being expandable. But then I do not have a problem with running a few wires in walls in order to have the sound where I want and in the quality I would like. Had friends try to push me to sonos but I just walked away...

Maybe you need to have this option available, like you said, in order to get in front of the customer to have the opportunity to sell something else (either now or down the road).

:cheers:

Edit: I only know about this type of stuff, because I like audio technology (mostly studio and venue). Not sure how most people would know about Sonos in order to ask you if you sold it.

I had customers learn the hard way to just start with Crestron and add to it. It's a big lump of money to start, but it was was a lot cheaper to start with crestron rather than upgrade to it and have to swap out a lot of equipment.

I would do a package with sonos and before installing it, just let them know of all the different options that come with sonos and that you also do crestron/c4/etc and the cost associated with each.

I'd still do it to get your name out there. You never know. What if their neighbor saw they had that sonos/bose setup and calls you and says they want to out-do their neighbor? BAM, crestron control panels and all!!!

yup thats my plan exactly. I would NEVER sell the stupid speakers with it built in. The only thing i would sell is the bridge and amp. For the CI world sonos is a nightmare but there is a pretty strong rumor that they are going to open it up to C4/Crestron with a "mediary" box at cedia this year :banana: we'll see.

The thing with angies list is is its a deal like groupon where they purchase it ahead of time then angies list takes a percentage. then i get payment, Sonos is like bose and its for the masses. It will never replace a true DA system. If the customer wants to add a kitchen/dining room at the same time its easy to do so. they released their sales numbers for last year and 40% of their sales came stricly out of the CI community.

We've all tried to fight it, but if we dont sell it someone else will (and they are). my goal with this is to get in front of the customer and upsell, in some cases it will be perfect for them, in the rare case they want to control their entire house with more sources then just internet stations and network audio then ill just credit them the price of the deal and sell them something else

I know what Sonos is, but only because I had once looked at doing some whole home audio in a house that I owned in the past.

Didn't like Sonos, felt it was too "consumerish", too focused on the marketing side and felt it was too "closed" of a system.

your right it is consumerish, but what is happening is that customers go to best buy, target etc and find that they cant or dont have the network knowledge to install it. Most of the time customers are just purchasing the play 5 with the speaker built in, and in some cases the connect amp to use with their book shelf speakers. When paired with bookshelf/bridge to the audio system it is an impressive system, sounds very good!

being on this end of sales, this is unfortunately what most costomers want. They have a brilliant marketing plan, this is the new way of doing DA, if they would open it up to control systems i doubt many of us would sell anything BUT sonos. But as soon as you want to add another source like a CD player etc then its done and you have to move onto the traditional ways. But with everyone changing to spotify/pandora the days of CD's and even ripping them to PCs is becoming very short.

Ive got to adapt to stay affloat, ive tried to fight it as long as i can. If you cant beat them you might as well join them :rolleyes:

A 'no' here too.

So this is a 'limited' house system vs. a 'whole' house A/V system?

No, i wouldn't say limited by any means. its limited on control and legacy meaning you cant hook up a CD or cable box to the system, only internet radio stations and networked PCs or NAS drives that store your ripped cd collection. In retrofit situations you can place a connect amp in a closet and fish the wires over to the in wall/in ceiling speakers. You control everything though your ipad/iphone/android device.

Here is a picture of one in a closet

IMG_0392-1.jpg

if your in a new construction phase or remodel then it is best to centrally locate them in the equipment room (the white boxes are sonos at the top)

Rack-Front2.jpg

Look.... If you have enough potentials asking for a certain system that you have the ability to install and service, you would be doing your business a grave disservice by not offering it. There will always be those that want something more audiophile friendly. Sell your other gear to them.

Sonos buyers are not buying primarily on SQ. They are buying on convenience. It makes sense to have a solution for each target.

But I am just a dopey software marketer. So take the advice for exactly what you paid for it.

Archived