Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dylan's 3 Bucket Wash Video - Uncut.

Team Adam's

Question

Last week I setup a camera to film my entire wash process from start to finish, mainly at the request of a customer who had seen how my Avalanche had looked thru most of its life. He has been struggling to keep his black truck swirl free and wanted to know how I did it. What better way than to just show the process, start to finish. Obviously I've sped this up so you don't have to watch me wash a truck for an hour+, but it is uncut... start to finish... how I wash my rides to minimize swirling.

So why 3 buckets?

I started to notice that in some of my washes the 2nd bucket was still getting a fair amount of grit in the bottom. Wanting to eliminate the chances it made it back to the paint I added a 3rd bucket with another grit guard. My goal is to have ZERO contamination by the time I make it to that last bucket.

Bucket 1:

Pure water. this is used to scrub loose the majority of the debris. The wash media is scrubbed against the insert, combed thru with my fingers and given a quick visual inspection.

Bucket 2:

Pure water. This bucket gets much the same process as the first, once again scrubbing against the grit guard, pulling out of the water and inspecting for debris.

Bucket 3:

Water with soap. When your wash mitt reaches this bucket it should be clean and free of debris minimizing your chances of swirling. Make sure the mixture is heavy and a thick later of soap is created at setup.

You'll also notice the addition of a foam gun to the process. I'd like to stress this is NOT a requirement, but more a thing of convenience. Using solid technique you can perform a proper swirl free wash without a foam gun... it just makes it faster/easier. Also, before anyone says anything - the gun I'm using is actually from the pre-china gilmour days... I've had it for awhile.

The process itself is pretty basic.

• Start with the wheels as always.
  • Rinse really well before introducing soap.
  • Foam the vehicle completely.
  • Merino Wash Mitt for the upper 2/3rds working 1 panel with each side of the mitt.
  • Rinse. Inspect. Rinse. Inspect. Prime and repeat.
  • Switch over to 2nd wash mitt or pad for lower 1/3rd following same process.
  • Optional - Foam the vehicle again anywhere the soap may have started to dry.
  • Power rinse with a strong stream from the hose.
  • Sheet rinse to reduce standing water.
  • Blaster Sidekick to knock loose bulk of remaining water.
  • Great White Drying Towel + Detail Spray to dry
  • Hit again with Blaster Sidekick to get water out of cracks.
  • Touchup with Great White + Detail Spray
  • Waterless Wash + Waterless Wash Towel for door jambs, engine bay, and wheels.

Total time start to finish for this wash was 1h 17m

Edited by Dylan@Adams

Dylan, something I've been doing since my truck is swirl free is spraying waterless wash in all the cracks, let it sit while I do the tires, then rinse those areas really well before I hit it with the foam gun. Seems to really help get the dust and dirt out of those areas.

There's is nothing worse than dirty water running out from under molding after a fresh 2 or 3 bucket wash.

Dylan, something I've been doing since my truck is swirl free is spraying waterless wash in all the cracks, let it sit while I do the tires, then rinse those areas really well before I hit it with the foam gun. Seems to really help get the dust and dirt out of those areas.

There's is nothing worse than dirty water running out from under molding after a fresh 2 or 3 bucket wash.

Hmmm... where have I heard that idea before? :D

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wash-dry-clay-bar/10949.htm

If its dirtier thats certainly not a bad place to start. With the GWD towels being white you get a pretty quick indicator if you've got dirty water coming out of the crevices and can adjust accordingly of course.

I've found that if I get more in depth with my pre-rinse the need for the waterless wash pre-wash isn't here, but its a constantly evolving process. I also had a much larger issue with trapped water on the Avalanche than I have on this truck... the gaps seem much tighter, fewer places are holding water so that might also be a factor to consider. :2thumbs:

Edited by Dylan@Adams

You missed a spot!!!! lol. JK!

real good video was thinking about getting a third bucket last weekend and trying that out.

i have two black vehicles (gto + g6 gxp)...then my oldman showed up at my house with a brand new sentra on sunday guess what color.....add that to the black tundra he already has and the count is now up to 4...

good music choice as well

Nice vid Dylan with the it sped up there are certain parts that look like you have dancing feet! Very cool ! Now in the foamer was that a mix of shampoo and water or just straight shampoo? And where can I get one?

Very helpful video Dylan good job! With a handful of washes with my new 2 bucket system I have noticed some dirty water in the so called clean bucket.

I love the Autism puzzle piece decal you have on the truck. Good placement. :thumbsup:

Great video Dylan. It's nice to see someone's process from start to finish. At around the 4:00 mark, is it the tire that you're standing on to dry those out of reach spots?

Edited by LDM
Typo

Very helpful video Dylan good job! With a handful of washes with my new 2 bucket system I have noticed some dirty water in the so called clean bucket.

I love the Autism puzzle piece decal you have on the truck. Good placement. :thumbsup:

Thanks. My buddy Ray over at RPM Graphics cuts me an autism awareness puzzle piece everytime I get a new ride in a color to match. :thumbsup:

Great video Dylan. It's nice to see someone's process form start to finish. At around the 4:00 mark, is it the tire that you're standing on to dry those out of reach spots?

Yep... a fun new feature to the 4x4... I couldn't fit my foot in the fender gap on the Av, but theres plenty of room on this thing :D

SLACKER! You should have all the time in the world.....you just play on the internet all day.... :jester:

Good write up as always. I was just waiting for something funny to happen!

I was digging the music as well!

I was just waiting for something funny to happen!

I was watching the neighbors windows to see if they were looking out and saying "There he is washing that truck again. He's gonna wash the paint off that thing" LOL :D

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

You can't tell b/c of the speed, but at one point a passing car with my neighbor driving says "mines next!" I don't even look up b/c he says that EVERYTIME I'm working on something out front.

Dude, put in your earbuds. :glasses::rockon:

You can't tell b/c of the speed, but at one point a passing car with my neighbor driving says "mines next!" I don't even look up b/c he says that EVERYTIME I'm working on something out front.

I get that everytime I wash our cars from the same neighbor across the street. That, and the, "you are going to wash the paint right off" I hear all the time. I usually just smirk and continue working...

I think I do pretty much all the steps as Dylan, but I dont sidekick before using the GWDT. After the sheet rinse, there are only a handful of droplets on my car which I take care of with the GWDT. Then, I sidekick the crannies and I'm done...

Once the leveling kit is on and windows are tinted. I just finished the debadge last week so I've been slackin'

Aside: if just going to level look into the Bilstein 5100s. Raises the front end only. Put these around on my 09 4x4..nice firm, but not to firm, ride...saves the ball joints compared to a lift...

Bilstein 5100 Series Front Height Adjustable Leveling Shocks: Off-Road.com

Dylan I noticed you did this during overcast weather. Do you change your technique at all when working in the sun? I am from So Cal too, and it is almost impossible to get a good wash when the sun is beating down on the car. It may not be as nice outside when it's overcast, but it sure makes a world of difference when I am washing my car!