Customer Service 866.965.0400

Help, getting very frustrated!

Zman12

Question

I am working on my black 2010 camaro. I have been polishing for about 6 hours already and still not happy with a small sample area.

I first did one fender all the way through that was about

4 passes sshr

2 passes shr

2 passes fmp

This was all on 4" focus pad mainly on pc. I did try drill for a little while to work on one scratch.

I still wasn't perfectly happy with the fender, but just thought maybe that was the best I could get, I know it's black.

So I moved to the hood and front bumber, in some places I have went 4 or more passes with SSHR with big pad on PC. I still see long scratches that I just can't seem to get out I understand I will have small swirls when using the sshr but these are still somewhat big.

So I guess my question is when do I give up? At this rate just polishing is going to take me 40 plus hours.

How many passes would be considered normal for SSHR?

Am I expecting to much for black. I really was hoping for perfection.

Do I need to try and go pack to the 4" pad?

I have tried speed 5 and 6 doesn't seem to matter :help::help::help:

I didn't really think my car was this bad? It only has 6k on it. It's not like it leads a hard life.

Pictures of the car look nice.

A couple/few things:

My DD Dodge Magnum had the passenger side front door skin replaced and the paint was blended into the front fender and rear door on that side then cleared over top. I can see sanding marks in the rear door that will not polish out they are under the clear. You may have the same issue on the hood.

I own both the PC and Flex as well as a high speed rotary. All have their place and time in detailing and I wouldn't give up any of them. Go ahead and get a Flex, but keep the PC. I usually keep the 4" backing plate on the pc to work tight areas and use the Flex for the larger places.

40 hours to bring a black car to perfection? That'd be nice. I've easily got over 150 hours into my Brazen Orange Metallic GTO to be at 99% perfect. I actually began with the high speed rotary and wool pads on the car with around 1,300 miles on it. At this point I'll probably not need any more than a pass or two with the PC/White Pad/FMP combo to keep her at this level.

I wish I had the money to have both the flex and pc right now, if this was my career than I would. But I can't see having two machines just to maintain a couple of cars. But I am determined to get my car as close to perfect as possible.

I agree I need practice but I feel I have watched the videos a lot and am trying to do my best to follow instructions. I do think I gave up on my test patch a little quick. However once I saw how many hours it was going to take I wanted to get started and at least get the car back to where I could take it to a show and drive again.

I think the car looks a lot better just not perfect, my family would say I am crazy picky. But aren't we all. Like I say the hood and bumpers are the the main things that in my eyes are far from perfect. But I know since the hood has been painted on to add the stripes and reclear it may be a little different. Also since I think that paint maybe harder that was probably not a great place to start working on to figure out process for rest of car.

Zman, watching the videos will give you a good idea on how to use the products. Polish you ride a few times and i'll guarantee after every detail your technique will get better.

Just remember to take your time. :thumbsup:

Just remember to take your time. :thumbsup:

This can be a tough one for me at times especially if your day is less then stellar.

I suppose it also depends on how anal you want to be, in which case for most of us is quite abit.

I am having the same problem on my lotus. I purchased the vehicle from an owner who didn't have a damn garage.... *face palm* It needed so much correction that I went to Adam's Detail and purchased over $800 worth of product.

I found a porter cable laying around at home so I went over it 3 times with each polish (sshr, shr, and fmp). Mine still has a lot of scratches (not too deep since I couldn't feel it on my finger nails) and I watched the videos over and over to make sure my technique was correct. The car does look a lot shinier and looks great until I put the light on it and still see some of the scratches left.

I think the first half of the car I was applying too much stuff, so I cut it down to one or two pea sized drops. It seemed to work a little better, but scratches would not disappear. I used 3 to spread it and 6 for the polishing.

One thing that I have a question is that the white pad seemed to be "shedding" bits and pieces like dust. Maybe it's the polish dusting, but when I looked at it closely it kind of looked like bits and pieces of foam lol. Is this normal?

I might try to wash the pads off and go over it again very slowly with a ton of pressure... or might just pick up a flex.

Edit: Just bought a flex lol

Edited by sizzflair

I figured out the white pad problem.... upon inspection, the pad was torn around the velcro. It's weird since the other 2 pads are fine and I used the same techniques for all three pads. Maybe I got a defect?

I figured out the white pad problem.... upon inspection, the pad was torn around the velcro. It's weird since the other 2 pads are fine and I used the same techniques for all three pads. Maybe I got a defect?

The same thing happened to me with only one of my pads (the white one) and a very nice local dealer happened to replace it for free for me. Maybe someone can help you out.

The same thing happened to me with only one of my pads (the white one) and a very nice local dealer happened to replace it for free for me. Maybe someone can help you out.

Thanks for the heads up.

Adam??? :mail: haha I just happened to order 4" focus pad kit and extra sets of towels too :help:

My green one disintegrated the first time that I used it. Contacted Lynn on the live chat and was informed that it was user error....the other pads didn't have a problem. I just considered it a lesson learned and moved on.

My green one disintegrated the first time that I used it. Contacted Lynn on the live chat and was informed that it was user error....the other pads didn't have a problem. I just considered it a lesson learned and moved on.

Did the exact same thing. Shredded a green one on my first attempt. Learned a lot though!