Customer Service 866.965.0400

Microphone recommendations

mc2hill

I know there are several musicians and singers on here and I thought I would ask for some advice.

My son has started playing in a band, and is writing and recording some songs. I am looking for a USB microphone to use with his MacBook Pro for his upcoming birthday.

Thanks!

I have no idea...but you gotta let us know when/where he is performing next!

Underground Bluz (at the old movie theater across from UCF) in a few weeks, then at Natura again in June.

Shure mics are awesome! They have also released the XLR (standard microphone connection) to USB adapter

Shure Americas | X2u XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter

search X2U on amazon, will come up right away. $99

since i assume he is recording purchase a "pop filter" to go infront of the mic

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nady-MPF-6-6-Inch-Microphone-Filter/dp/B0002CZW0Y/ref=pd_sim_MI_2]Amazon.com: Nady MPF-6 6-Inch Clamp On Microphone Pop Filter: Musical Instruments[/ame]

and you will also need the mic. its a basic one, but more then good enough for pc recording vocals and basic instruments.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Shure-PG58-XLR-Cardioid-Dynamic-Microphone/dp/B0000WOEG4/ref=sr_1_3?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1337229426&sr=1-3]Amazon.com: Shure PG58-XLR Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone with XLR-to-XLR Cable: Musical Instruments[/ame]

Shure mics are awesome! They have also released the XLR (standard microphone connection) to USB adapter

Shure Americas | X2u XLR-to-USB Signal Adapter

search X2U on amazon, will come up right away. $99

since i assume he is recording purchase a "pop filter" to go infront of the mic

Amazon.com: Nady MPF-6 6-Inch Clamp On Microphone Pop Filter: Musical Instruments

and you will also need the mic. its a basic one, but more then good enough for pc recording vocals and basic instruments.

Amazon.com: Shure PG58-XLR Cardioid Dynamic Vocal Microphone with XLR-to-XLR Cable: Musical Instruments

I agree with what Brendon recommended above for the mic and pop screen. The Shure 58 series is and has been a great reliable workhorse for vocals for many years, not considered a studio grade mic but for someone starting out it is a good durable and quality mic.

In addition to the mic and pop screen he will also need a mic stand in order to utilize the pop screen.

The interface between the analog mic and the digital computer will have a BIG impact on the quality and sound of the recording.

I had my own little recording studio for about 6 years. It didn't take me long to figure out that you get what you pay for.

Depending on how much you want to spend. Shure makes a good mic but I'm not too sure about the A/D conversion.

If it were me I'd go with apogee. I know they make quality A/D conversion units. I haven't used one of their mics but I'm guessing is it is a very clean sounding mic.

The apogee mic should also be recognized by garage band or logic. I'm not sure what program your son is using but if it's one of these it should be plug and play.

Here is a link.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiC

Upon further thought... what does your son want to record? Does he want this mic to be used just in a dedicated space or to be a rugged traveling mic? I made an assumption that the use was primarily vocals, if so (and since it is "tuned" for general vocals) the Shure 58 series mic is a nice starting mic for recording purposes that is also rugged enough to run from gig to gig.

Typically recording studios will have a range of mic types (cardioid, condenser, ribbon) to capture different sounds/feels based on what/who is being recorded and the genre. So if you son is wanting to record something other than vocals the Shure 58 series may not be the right mic.

Like so many other things, the budget will also affect what mics you want to see.

:cheers:

If it is recording specific, you might check with a pro music store. Requirements for live and recording are a bit different. For live vocals, go with SM58, great mic, very rugged, road proven.

For recording, you would want something with a flatter response, maybe a condenser mic. (with a pop screen)

Upon further thought... what does your son want to record? Does he want this mic to be used just in a dedicated space or to be a rugged traveling mic? I made an assumption that the use was primarily vocals, if so (and since it is "tuned" for general vocals) the Shure 58 series mic is a nice starting mic for recording purposes that is also rugged enough to run from gig to gig.

Mainly as an upgrade to the mic that is built in to the MacBook. I was originally looking at a USB mic, but after the recommendations I am considering an XLR (I did not know what this meant until yesterday!) and an adapter, so it would be more useful.

I found a Apogge MIC on eBay for $99, so I will check the price again tonight.

Mainly as an upgrade to the mic that is built in to the MacBook. I was originally looking at a USB mic, but after the recommendations I am considering an XLR (I did not know what this meant until yesterday!) and an adapter, so it would be more useful.

I found a Apogge MIC on eBay for $99, so I will check the price again tonight.

One thing to remember is that sound is analog and you are looking to make a digital recording. Mics are analog, the A/D (analog/digital) conversion is a critical piece of the sound quality that you will have the recording.

Many mics can sound good - IF the A/D conversion is of high enough quality. And conversely you can have a $3000 condenser mic but if you have a $30 A/D converter then you can get a result that sounds like $30.

In this case, these converters are what will take the XLR signal and convert it to the USB connector. Some converters have one input and one output. Other converters have multiple inputs and outputs. There are many companies that make these, one popular company for quite a few years is M-Audio. Here is a link to their USB interfaces.

Not wanting to make it complicated, just trying to explain the options so that you don't buy something that gets relegated to the closet and replaced within a short period of time.

One thing to remember is that sound is analog and you are looking to make a digital recording. Mics are analog, the A/D (analog/digital) conversion is a critical piece of the sound quality that you will have the recording.

Many mics can sound good - IF the A/D conversion is of high enough quality. And conversely you can have a $3000 condenser mic but if you have a $30 A/D converter then you can get a result that sounds like $30.

In this case, these converters are what will take the XLR signal and convert it to the USB connector. Some converters have one input and one output. Other converters have multiple inputs and outputs. There are many companies that make these, one popular company for quite a few years is M-Audio. Here is a link to their USB interfaces.

Not wanting to make it complicated, just trying to explain the options so that you don't buy something that gets relegated to the closet and replaced within a short period of time.

Yes. A/D conversion quality is everything. If its in your budget I'd get something like the Apogee One or the Duet and the Shure sm58. I say this because the sm58 is less likely to pick up the sound of the room. Once you get into the more sensitive condenser mics the quality of the room will affect the sound.

Archived