Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dust magnet or so clean I notice more?????

pwrjnky

Question

After I polished my truck it's almost as if I charged the paint. I park in a garage at night. I've been using my waterless wash at night to clean up the truck, then follow with the detail spray. I wake up and the truck looks like I drove down a dusty road. anybody else get static after running a polisher? How do I de-static my paint so it doesn't attract so much dust? Is this common? Thanks in advance.:help:

I just went out this morning and was amazed at the dust. I got the leaf blower out and gave my truck a bow job. It really likes it when I do that. Then I waterless washed it and followed it with detail spray. That was probably 30 minutes ago. I bet if I go out now, it will have started to collect dust. Maybe if i throw some buttery wax on????? I wonder if my Adams towels are causing static?

Out here it's the pollen, it just grabs onto everything no matter the prep/wax. I've felt that my old (read crappy) MF towels were very prone to cause static, only used the Adams towels a few time so I'm not sure they are as bad. Maybe that is just a property of the MF towels in general, between the make up and dispersion of the fibers they naturally have a static building property.

Edited by PacificNWBuckeye

Yep, my black car cllects so much dust and it makes me mad every time. I wash it then 1 day parked at work and it is to dusty for waterless wash. Tryed the waterless wash wipe after the 2 bucket wash to get rid of some static but didnt notice anything differnt.

The static charge is built up actually more from the wiping of towels than it is from anything else... but honestly you're probably just noticing it more now that you've put the time into detail it. The charge will dissipate over time on its own and is almost completely knocked out by WW.

Waxes (fwiw) tend to hold dust more than sealants... if you're really bothered by dust switch to using a sealant as your LSP.

Thanks guys. I do definitely notice more! I've even given my kids a lesson ok how to close a door. Their way involved a full open palm right in the middle of the door! Nothing like a small handprint in my door. I think I have vehicle cleaning OCD now.

I just cleaned my car and gave it a DS drying and it was shinning!

then I thought to do some panels with a WW wipe down to see if these panels attracted less dust. I did half of the hood and half of the trunk lid as well as the drivers side door. I will report back on how the results are!

Man I notice it so much it's crazy. I'm convinced that I only notice it more because it's a black car, I take care of it religiously, and I've developed a better eye for noticing the contaminants.

Another reason I need to invest in a master blaster...

Man I notice it so much it's crazy. I'm convinced that I only notice it more because it's a black car, I take care of it religiously, and I've developed a better eye for noticing the contaminants.

Another reason I need to invest in a master blaster...

My truck is gold and I still notice the dust...or pollen in my case. You don't really see it when you look at it from the side. You mostly see it while sitting in the truck. When I'm driving, I think I spend just as much time looking at the pollen on the hood as I do the road.

Also birds always seem to drop bombs on it as soon as I wash it.....its like when a cat always has to use the litter box as soon as you change it.

I find myself looking at my wife's black paint constantly now that I detailed there paint. It makes me want to clean it nightly to keep the dirt from building up on it and keep it shiny longer. As far as the properties of detail spray compared to waterless wash...which one would leave a more wax like coating? Since both are a liquid...would it be better to use a waffle weave towel instead of a microfiber towel?

I find myself looking at my wife's black paint constantly now that I detailed there paint. It makes me want to clean it nightly to keep the dirt from building up on it and keep it shiny longer. As far as the properties of detail spray compared to waterless wash...which one would leave a more wax like coating? Since both are a liquid...would it be better to use a waffle weave towel instead of a microfiber towel?

I know your pain!

WW has more cleaners, DS has more glossers, so maybe both? WW with a waffle-weave towel to clean, then quick shot of DS with a waffle-weave towel to shine.

Out here it's the pollen, it just grabs onto everything no matter the prep/wax. I've felt that my old (read crappy) MF towels were very prone to cause static, only used the Adams towels a few time so I'm not sure they are as bad. Maybe that is just a property of the MF towels in general, between the make up and dispersion of the fibers they naturally have a static building property.

:iagree:

This is 2 days after I washed my car. The pollen in the NW is crazy. :willy:

IMG_0208.jpg

Sorry to bump up an "older" thread but I prefer it to creating a new one on the same topic.

Here in the Detroit-metro area where I am I have to deal with pollen and dust; pretty much the same thing as everyone else! I can wash my Mark VIII in the morning, dry with the Detail Spray and the GWT, and by afternoon I can have a thin film of dust and pollen. I don't yet have the waterless wash (yes I will be ordering it along with a couple waffle towels!), so what I do the next day to remove the dust is to simply use the hose to rinse off, then repeat the drying process with the Detail Spray and the GWT.

Would using the hose to rinse off/remove the dust be an acceptable method? I have a selectable trigger nozzle so I set it on "fan". Would the dust create swirls as it's being pushed away by the water? Just wondering!

Sorry to bump up an "older" thread but I prefer it to creating a new one on the same topic.

Here in the Detroit-metro area where I am I have to deal with pollen and dust; pretty much the same thing as everyone else! I can wash my Mark VIII in the morning, dry with the Detail Spray and the GWT, and by afternoon I can have a thin film of dust and pollen. I don't yet have the waterless wash (yes I will be ordering it along with a couple waffle towels!), so what I do the next day to remove the dust is to simply use the hose to rinse off, then repeat the drying process with the Detail Spray and the GWT.

Would using the hose to rinse off/remove the dust be an acceptable method? I have a selectable trigger nozzle so I set it on "fan". Would the dust create swirls as it's being pushed away by the water? Just wondering!

The water pushing the dirt off won't create the swirls. The swirls would be created by your drying the car if the car and towel are NOT perfectly clean. I wouldn't think that a rinse would be enough, at least it isn't enough here in Florida with the pollen season we went through a couple months back. It is a bother, a scourge of our detailing obsessiveness, but I do a full wash to remove the pollen. I've tried using the waterless wash for this purpose and can sometimes get away with it, IF the pollen is light enough, but at the peak of the pollen season, it is a 2 bucket wash for me.

:cheers:

After I polished my truck it's almost as if I charged the paint. I park in a garage at night. I've been using my waterless wash at night to clean up the truck, then follow with the detail spray. I wake up and the truck looks like I drove down a dusty road. anybody else get static after running a polisher? How do I de-static my paint so it doesn't attract so much dust? Is this common? Thanks in advance.:help:

It's every where - the "dust that floats during the night." :jester:

I'll go on record as saying yes. Furthermore, if you don't get your car thoroughly clean, using the GWT to dry it will cause some damage to it. Even if you set your nozzle on a solid stream, all you are doing it knocking just a tad of dirt/dust off. In order to use the GWT, again the surface has to be totally clean.