Customer Service 866.965.0400

Whole House Fan

07RS4

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, my Dad put one of these in our little house in Anaheim way back in the dark ages. He used an existing opening at the end of the hall near the bedrooms to put the fan in during the summer. Worked really great. His was an industrial fan (no surprise there) and electric motor connected by a belt. A bit noisy, but really cooled the house down in a hurry. When your Dad's an engineer, these things get put in quick.

100* tomorrow! Get ready for it! It was already too freakin' hot today.

Glad the install for the WHF went smooth, hope it helps with the bills.

Thanks man. I know you told me, where you at again?

You must have a nice wife Dylan to tolerate 76*.

Our T-stat is upstairs where all the bedrooms are, the living space is all downstairs. If its 76* upstairs mid day its typically about 72-73* downstairs... by the time the evening hits and we're going to spend anytime upstairs the temps have dropped enough to use the WHF.

I'm also considering a Nest thermostat for the house. It learns when you are and aren't at home and adjusts your settings accordingly. Once it knows your patterns it programs itself. Plus if you forget to turn it off you can connect to it from your smartphone and adjust the settings. Plus it looks cool :)

The newer honeywell systems are wifi enabled and fully programmable... looked at few houses, including the models being build right around the corner from us, and they included them standard.

Even the sprinkler system on some of these places was wifi enabled so it would DL local weather reports, adjust water times accordingly, or allow you to remote access to control the system. Pretty cool.

My security company recently went to a Home Automation company. I upgraded to the Smart Phone enabled Temp Control, 2 security camera's and they even offer remote door locks which I didn't get. The temp control I never use because it's already pre-set, but the camera's will be sweet. You can check them on the fly (wherever you get phone service), with clear, HD quality live streaming video. I'm excited to get them installed. Do I need them no, but I wanted to see what the rich feel like.

They've come a long ways with that! 6+ years ago we were doing camera integration with IP based IR cams for various customers, that would tie into their media system. The idea was they could be in their theater room, watching a movie, pause and check out the baby in her crib, see who was at the front door, or whatever else. Was a new idea b/c previously all that would have to wire back directly (analog) to the media rack, but with IP cams it could all be handled over the net or via the LAN. It had just started to break into the high end integration stuff and being able to view it on a wireless touchpanel, or smartphone from anywhere in the world was just happening.

Crazy that something we did for customers spending $100k plus on a crestron system, is now something the dude working for ADT can setup. It moves FAST and lately seems its moving even faster.

So the first test night was last night.

On high it was noisy because of the airflow, but it was kind of a white noise that you sleep to. On low, barely audible in the bedroom.

Results:

2200 - Turned on high...outside temp 78

2300 - Turned on low...outside temp 74

0500 - Turned off...outside temp 59

Windows open: 6 (4 Upstairs/2 Downstairs)

Results........

Downstairs Temp - 66

Upstairs Temp - 69

There was a stiff breeze throughout the night in the house, with most of the curtains blowing in the man made breeze.

I don't get it...it should have been 59 in the house when we woke up. That was the plan. What am I missing here?

So the first test night was last night.

On high it was noisy because of the airflow, but it was kind of a white noise that you sleep to. On low, barely audible in the bedroom.

Results:

2200 - Turned on high...outside temp 78

2300 - Turned on low...outside temp 74

0500 - Turned off...outside temp 59

Windows open: 6 (4 Upstairs/2 Downstairs)

Results........

Downstairs Temp - 66

Upstairs Temp - 69

There was a stiff breeze throughout the night in the house, with most of the curtains blowing in the man made breeze.

I don't get it...it should have been 59 in the house when we woke up. That was the plan. What am I missing here?

Great to see how much the house cooled off! By working with different windows and opening different amounts you can try to change the airflow in the house. Based on the fact that the upstairs was warmer than downstairs I would allow a little more airflow in the upstairs windows.

Of course there is also the "heat sink" effect, the mass of the house is going to hold heat and slowly release it over many hours and usually these are the areas that were more directly affected by the sun (southern and western exposure walls and of course the upper story/roof). Sometimes you might be able to actually feel (or measure) the ceiling/wall temps to understand which rooms need more airflow to assist in cooling.

I would try closing the windows around sunrise time, this is usually the coolest time. 500 might have been a little early and you might be able to get another couple degrees of cooling done.

:cheers:

Great to see how much the house cooled off! By working with different windows and opening different amounts you can try to change the airflow in the house. Based on the fact that the upstairs was warmer than downstairs I would allow a little more airflow in the upstairs windows.

Of course there is also the "heat sink" effect, the mass of the house is going to hold heat and slowly release it over many hours and usually these are the areas that were more directly affected by the sun (southern and western exposure walls and of course the upper story/roof). Sometimes you might be able to actually feel (or measure) the ceiling/wall temps to understand which rooms need more airflow to assist in cooling.

I would try closing the windows around sunrise time, this is usually the coolest time. 500 might have been a little early and you might be able to get another couple degrees of cooling done.

Good points Dave. I played with the windows last night and this morning. I'm going to get really anal about this and start measuring the temps in different rooms. It should be easy since we have a video surveillance for my son, and each of the camera's (3) shows the temp also.

I'm wondering if...

a. This fan isn't pulling enough air flow (36", 5 blade)

b. There isn't enough attic ventalation. The louvers open when the fan is turned on, so there can't be that much back pressure in the attic.

Thanks for taking the time......

Good points Dave. I played with the windows last night and this morning. I'm going to get really anal about this and start measuring the temps in different rooms. It should be easy since we have a video surveillance for my son, and each of the camera's (3) shows the temp also.

I'm wondering if...

a. This fan isn't pulling enough air flow (36", 5 blade)

b. There isn't enough attic ventalation. The louvers open when the fan is turned on, so there can't be that much back pressure in the attic.

Thanks for taking the time......

In an earlier post you mentioned that you can see the thick blanket of insulation actually compress when the fan turns on. Not sure how much you see it move but that compression is an indication that the air isn't moving out easily enough and instead is causing a pressure buildup in the attic space. You might need another attic/roof vent depending on the amount of pressure that is building up in the attic.

In an earlier post you mentioned that you can see the thick blanket of insulation actually compress when the fan turns on. Not sure how much you see it move but that compression is an indication that the air isn't moving out easily enough and instead is causing a pressure buildup in the attic space. You might need another attic/roof vent depending on the amount of pressure that is building up in the attic.

I think you may be correct man, that's what I'm leaning towards.