Customer Service 866.965.0400

Car Jack for Trunk

MAYBEN

Do any of you have a jack that you carry in your trunk?

No, I'm not referring to the one that came with the car.. I was thinking of a hydraulic, low profile preferably. If you do have one, how is it secured so that it doesn't fly around the trunk?

The G8 GT did not come with a spare nor jack kit. I have a full size spare in there from when I had to replace my wheels, but if something happens, I have no way to put it on.

Pace Performance has the stock kit from the V6, but its $200 + shipping..

The end result may have to be biting the bullet and spending the $200+ :(

Just find a used jack at the junk yard and toss it in there under the wheel with a towel wrapped around it.

I don't have anything but the pump and tire stuff, but I seldom drive outside of my area with the car.

I thought about doing that, but then I gotta do the same with a lug wrench.. I'm debating spending less $ and getting a hydraulic jack, but then I most likely have to 'bolt' it to the floor so it doesn't fly around, then the issue still lies there about the wrench..

I know I would still have to get the wrench, and like you said, they're cheap..

which is my debate, get cheaper and fig out where to store, or go big and store correctly, lol

I've had this same concern on my mind lately to keep a better floor jack in the SS, even if I don't really drive too far. I'd just like the fact I can swap out a tire with no issues. Of course finding one made in the USA is pretty much impossible since even the Craftsman jacks are made overseas.

I like this one for it's weight only being 26 pounds and may work for your car, but it's not going to enough for the SS or any other SUV.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T815005L-Aluminum-Racing-Jack/dp/B0027VFZE6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1339433673&sr=8-5]Amazon.com: Torin T815005L 1.5 Ton Aluminum Racing Jack: Automotive[/ame]

Just a heads up Chris. We had the can of goo attached to the pump discharge while it was sitting on my wife's TBSS front passenger seat. Fortunately she was at my mom's and was able to toss it in the driveway before any real damage occurred. That was in winter 2009-2010. That summer I received a survey regarding the lack of a spare in the car. I know I complained about the inflater kit as did a number of other G8 owners.

YMMV of course.

I got a full size spare from a local G8 owner that upgraded to larger wheels and got a jack from the local Menard's. I too wrapped the jack in an old towel. The lug wrench I believe is a Craftsman, IIRC. My wife got it for me and I tossed it in the trunk after making sure it was the right size. The woman I bought my spare from had had the same thing happen (inflater discharge.) She also related a story of another G8 owner who had his discharge in the trunk while parked at a local cruise night.

Edited by sportredmistress

I'd just get an inexpensive scissor jack for a real emergency situation -- it's nuts to carry around the extra 20 lbs of a good hydrolic jack. Keep an eye on your tires, keep them inflated and replace them BEFORE they get worn down to the minimum and you'll dramatically reduce the likelihood of a blowout. And if you pick up a nail and get a slow leak you can always get a can of the goo stuff or fill it up at a gas station and limp home, or make alternate plans to retrieve the jack and/or spare and bring it to the car. :cheers:

the goo ruins your TPMS..

And I will be removing the can of goo from the compressor my car came with, I do not want that thing to explode, especially since I will never use that part..

I monitor the pressure but a pot hole isnt always avoidable.. the main reason I have a spare, other than the fact I paid a discount for a damaged brand new wheel, is I travel 200 miles to RI to visit my Family often, if something happens on the way, it would be a PITA without anything..

the goo ruins your TPMS..

And I will be removing the can of goo from the compressor my car came with, I do not want that thing to explode, especially since I will never use that part..

I monitor the pressure but a pot hole isnt always avoidable.. the main reason I have a spare, other than the fact I paid a discount for a damaged brand new wheel, is I travel 200 miles to RI to visit my Family often, if something happens on the way, it would be a PITA without anything..

Yea, I guess the roads and road hazards along that stretch are about as bad as you can find on the east coast. I think once you're south of PA you get a bit spoiled by generally better quality roads.

I travel 200 miles to RI to visit my Family often, if something happens on the way, it would be a PITA without anything..

If you ever have an issue while on 95 or the Merrit Parkway in the the Fairfield County or New Haven County areas remember you're covered under the Adam's Polishes Roadside Assistance Program with yours truly. :D