Customer Service 866.965.0400

MacBook Pro Retina

MAYBEN

Well, I have been looking to replace my current laptop for quite a while now.

Lately, I've been becoming a bigger fan of Apple as I have the iPhone 4S, iPad HD, and Apple TV.

The damn thing is pretty expensive, but with the length of time I've kept my previous two laptops, I believe I can justify it.

With the Civil Service discount, the laptop is $1,999 from $2,199 for the 256GB flash version, the 512GB version is $2,599 from $2,799.

I'm a little afraid of getting the 256GB as my current laptop specs are as follows.

Toshiba A305-S6858

4GB RAM

Intel Core2 Duo CPU T5750 2.00GHz 64-Bit

Service Pack 2

320GB HDD, actual 296GB with 182GB used

One of the things I would like to do is be able to backup everything in the event something bad happens to the laptop. I've used external HDD before and haven't had the best luck with them.

Without going crazy, what are your opinions as to which MacBook Pro w/ Retina I should get and what accessories? Any other advice?

I was considering purchasing through Best Buy since they have longer interest free financing, but then my discount would not apply, to that sucks. Also, when I told my Wife I was looking into a MBP it was before the new display came out and was priced much cheaper, lol..

Thanks! :cheers:

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'll want to spec it out 320gb or bigger with no less than 8gb of ram. i7 core processor for sure!

Use a service like DropBox or something if you have large files you want to off load.

That would mean the base price is $2,599 with my discount! sheesh!

See why mine cost so much... :lolsmack:

I always buy the best when I buy... Because it'll be obsolete in three weeks instead of 2. :jester:

Oh and the Ram is MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper to buy on your own and install.

MUCH CHEAPER! :2thumbs:

didn't get to read the whole thing, but the first post mentions that the ram is on the motherboard

The new MacBook Pro with Retain Display. 8GB or 16GB of Ram? - MacRumors Forums

I usually by the best of things too, but thats the problem, with Apple, it becomes extremely expensive.. Spending initially 17-1800 with tax and applecare is now going to be $3300+

Alright heres the thing. The new "Retina" laptops aren't upgradable at all. Can't swap out SSD or RAM. So if you REALLY want a Retina laptop go big or go home.

However I would recommend sticking to a regular MacBook Pro and getting a 17" Refurbished one instead. You don't get the USB 3.0 but with cloud storage on the uprise how fast/much do you really need your USB to be? Pretty much the exact same Processor and HDD and RAM can all be upgraded at any time. You can also still buy the 3 Year Warranty.

I'd pick the MBP 17 Refurb...

Just my $0.02 as your friendly Apple Tech.

I want the display though..

Have you seen one in person yet? I would go look at an HD MBP 15 and a Retina 15 side by side then decide. I just think the Retinas are a lot of money and you can't upgrade without spending a ton of money.

See why mine cost so much... :lolsmack:

Oh and the Ram is MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper to buy on your own and install.

MUCH CHEAPER! :2thumbs:

Surprisingly, that's actually not with the MBPR. The upgrade option for 16GB (8GB is standard) is only $200. That's in the ballpark with what 3rd party venders are charging for 2 8GB modules.

Surprisingly, that's actually not with the MBPR. The upgrade option for 16GB (8GB is standard) is only $200. That's in the ballpark with what 3rd party venders are charging for 2 8GB modules.

Actually thats quite out of the park. Thats double what 16gb Memory Kit costs.

Look it up on Amazon there are 16gb Kits for under $100.

I haven't, but I've noticed a difference when comparing my iPhone 4S and iPad screens to the laptops I have as well as a couple newer..

This. I'm going to wait until I compare the MacBooks side by side but like you said, I can notice the obvious difference with comparing iPhones with and without retina displays. It is clear which is better.

Photography is my hobby (when I'm not detailing). And this screen should be the best addition to that hobby. If the screen is as great as they say, then it is a no brainer. I'm in.

This is also going to be my computer for college though. So the power has to be there.

The specs are also nice. I like the stock SSD. This means fast access which I also like when dealing with photos and videos. The 8gb of ram, upgradable to 16 is unbelievable! I have 1gb now and 8 or even 16 times that is mind blowing to me. So that side has won me over.

BUT!

The geek bench scores are scaring me. They are lower for the retina than just standard mid-2012 MacBooks. This worries me. I need to find an analysis of this because why would their flagship laptop score lower than the standard?

Overall, I'm impressed. I think they could have done more and been a little more extreme, but judging on what they have put out, it's much better than previous years upgrades so at least they are advancing. I was hoping for a iPhone 3G to iPhone 4 type of redesign, but oh well.

The geek bench scores are scaring me. They are lower for the retina than just standard mid-2012 MacBooks. This worries me. I need to find an analysis of this because why would their flagship laptop score lower than the standard?

The scores appear to be equivalent for the same processors. The biggest differences between comparable CPUs would be the graphics chip which has to handle a much larger amount of data with the higher resolution.

Have a couple iPhones in the house and an iPad but no Mac right now. This machine intrigues me and am now considering getting a Mac again. Would love this type of screen for photography use.

The scores appear to be equivalent for the same processors. The biggest differences between comparable CPUs would be the graphics chip which has to handle a much larger amount of data with the higher resolution.

Ohh okay. That makes a lot of sense. Thank you!

I'm a HUGE apple hater. I bleed Android, love open source, and HATE being locked down like you are with Apple.

HOWEVER, I just spent 5k at the Apple store for work. I picked up the new MBPR with 2.7 i7, 16gb RAM, with 512gb Flash Storage and other goodies.

My options at work were to go with the IT offered W7 machine which was hella old and underpowered( not much better than my current W7 machine) OR upgrade to the top of the line Mac. My hand was forced. The Mac is still lacking pretty hardcore in an enterprise environment, especially with me working in information security. I'll have to run a VM quite a bit.

If you're buying for personal use don't waste your money. Stupid expensive, and not really worth it. If I had the option I woulda gone with one of the Windows Ultrabook options.

Edited by suke

I don't think they're in the stores yet.. I'll see if I have time to stop by one this weekend to compare, although I'm pretty sure I will know the results..

I believe they are in stores, but probably not in stock to buy. I'm going tomorrow to compare so I'll be back here and post my results.

Gunna go against Apple a bit here:

Is the main reason you want the new MBP the new Retina display? When you're considering spending so much on something, be sure to consider every little thing! I just got myself a Samsung Series 5 ultrabook. Was planning on the Series 9, but can't spend that much. I got this notebook for $800 w/ 4 Gb ram and a 500gb HD, both easily upgradeable for A LOT less than if I bought it that way (another 4GB stick of RAM is on it's way).

I feel like the new MBP isn't THAT great. Definitely not worth the price, IMO. As others have mentioned, their are refurbs and slightly older models available for less, and will work just as great. Plus, the Retina display on the new MBP isn't as great as the iPhone or iPad IMO, less PPI than both; sure better than most laptop screens out there right now, but to me that doesn't justify the insane cost (unless of course you're profession requires the best).

Also, for a lot less, you could easily get the Samsung Series 9 w/ a 15" screen for around $1000 less. It's loaded with an i7, 256gb SSD, 8GB ram, and what's regarded as one of the best screens on the market at the moment. Plus, it's lighter/thinner than the new MBP.

I don't know what you'll be using the laptop for, so I won't go into a huge Apple vs. PC debate, but just wanted to remind you that there are PC's out there with just as high technical specs as the MBP, without the slightly better display. If you want to spend $1000 more for that, that's your business.

Hope either way you find what you're looking for.