Customer Service 866.965.0400

Quick Sealant Application Technique

savi01

Question

Hey all,

I need some advice on how to get the most out of the Quick Sealant. The can I had didn't last me long at all. I was only able to get one coat all around my car and the front end on my truck before it ran out on me.

My technique was just as Adam shows in the video on the products page:

Adam's Polishes - Adam's Quick Sealant

I would spray the applicator pad a bit to prime it, then quickly spray all over a panel, spread with the applicator, wait for a bit of hazing then wipe off. I did spray less than Adam does in the video to get the most out of the can I had, but I guess I still ended up using more than I should have?

I noticed people getting at least a few cars out of one can, and I'm really surprised as so how I only got about 1.5. I was being pretty conservative with it, or so I thought :confused:

Any advice?

What color is your ride? I've applied QS with a pad on a white and then silver car and could still see where it was applied. Try standing back just a couple of feet and look at it from different directions. Not saying you're not having a problem seeing it but it's just that I've never had that problem.

It will take longer but do smaller sections until you can see where you've spread it.

My car is medium silver. Some places I can see it, others I can never seem to find the right angle, even stepping back. So then I spray on some more until I can see it, and by then it's too much product. And then I get mad at myself for wasting product:mad:.

Doing smaller sections along with the applicator sounds good.

The neighbors are now convinced you've gone over the edge:lolsmack:.

:D Oh that happened the first summer we moved into the house. Was out mowing the lawn on the riding lawnmower in my BVD's and a tank top.

Second time was due to me having what are called "Voles" ~ little mice looking critters that eat a tunnel just under your grass. Tried everything to get rid of them and finally went over the edge and got my 40 Glock and 5 13 round magazines and was going nuts, shooting into the ground ~ that is until I hit one of the main underground sprinkler systems.

Many more good stories but for the most part, the neighbors and their kids don't come outside when I'm on the loose. :cheers:

My car is medium silver. Some places I can see it, others I can never seem to find the right angle, even stepping back. So then I spray on some more until I can see it, and by then it's too much product. And then I get mad at myself for wasting product:mad:.

Doing smaller sections along with the applicator sounds good.

A little trick I learned was as if you were doing a 2x2x2x2 test section before you start buffing. I don't tape anything off when applying QS but I do visualize an area I want to apply the product to. Maybe from the front of the hood, half way down and then across to the fender. Let it dry and then visualize or make eye reference points and lay down another section.

Might want to try using very small pieces of the blue tape ~just really small ones. Just lay them down as if you are going to do a test section, again like you would buffing. Stay inside that area, let it dry/wipe and then move the tape. Just a suggestion and time consuming at that. But better to do smaller sections than laying down a coat and find out later on ya missed different places or as you said, put down to much.

I usually start on the roof. Then do "half" of the hood then the other half. Do one fender at a time or just do half of one.

I leave the front of the vehicle until last but again, only do half of it.

One of my five RAM trucks was an extremely light silver, almost white. Had a couple of problems at first but as I said, I eye balled visual points and stayed within those.

You will find your own method before to long, just takes a little practice. Just don't give up - stay at it. We've all made mistakes with different products. You correct them and start over. Just part of the learning curve. Good luck! :2thumbs:

:D Oh that happened the first summer we moved into the house. Was out mowing the lawn on the riding lawnmower in my BVD's and a tank top.

Second time was due to me having what are called "Voles" ~ little mice looking critters that eat a tunnel just under your grass. Tried everything to get rid of them and finally went over the edge and got my 40 Glock and 5 13 round magazines and was going nuts, shooting into the ground ~ that is until I hit one of the main underground sprinkler systems.

Many more good stories but for the most part, the neighbors and their kids don't come outside when I'm on the loose. :cheers:

:lol:

But it can't be too bad, Oregon's pouplation is growing.

chart?cht=lxy&chd=s:ABDFHJLNPRTVXZbdfhjlnprtvxz13579,oooooooppqrstuvwxyzz001223345667&chds=0.0,1.0&chs=160x101&chco=287bf5ff&chls=2.0,1.0,0.0&chxt=x,r,x,r&chxs=0,333333,0,0,tl,333333%7C1,333333,0,-1,tl,333333%7C2,000000,11.5,-1,tl,333333%7C3,000000,11.5,-1,tl,333333&chxtc=0,2%7C1,2%7C2,0%7C3,0&chm=h,cccccc,0,1,1,1%7Ch,cccccc,0,0.5,1,-1&chxp=2,0,82%7C3,5,50,95&chxl=0:%7C1980%7C2011%7C1:%7C0%7C2M%7C4M%7C2:%7C1980%7C2011%7C3:%7C0%7C2M%7C4M

A little trick I learned was as if you were doing a 2x2x2x2 test section before you start buffing. I don't tape anything off when applying QS but I do visualize an area I want to apply the product to. Maybe from the front of the hood, half way down and then across to the fender. Let it dry and then visualize or make eye reference points and lay down another section.

Might want to try using very small pieces of the blue tape ~just really small ones. Just lay them down as if you are going to do a test section, again like you would buffing. Stay inside that area, let it dry/wipe and then move the tape. Just a suggestion and time consuming at that. But better to do smaller sections than laying down a coat and find out later on ya missed different places or as you said, put down to much.

I usually start on the roof. Then do "half" of the hood then the other half. Do one fender at a time or just do half of one.

I leave the front of the vehicle until last but again, only do half of it.

One of my five RAM trucks was an extremely light silver, almost white. Had a couple of problems at first but as I said, I eye balled visual points and stayed within those.

You will find your own method before to long, just takes a little practice. Just don't give up - stay at it. We've all made mistakes with different products. You correct them and start over. Just part of the learning curve. Good luck! :2thumbs:

Sounds like a plan:). This weekend I'm going to be respraying the front bumper and outside mirrors again for ease of bug removal. I'll give this a shot.

Like you say, it takes practice. The first few times I waxed my first car I put enough on for about a half dozen cars.:eek:

Sounds like a plan:). This weekend I'm going to be respraying the front bumper and outside mirrors again for ease of bug removal. I'll give this a shot.

Like you say, it takes practice. The first few times I waxed my first car I put enough on for about a half dozen cars.:eek:

Ah Geesh, I should have told you about using "chrome" so you could see where the product is.

Now when you say "respraying," does that mean that you are actually spraying the QS on? If so I highly recommend that you use one of Adam's foam pads. Spray the pad and then apply the product. But then again, you can still "spray" it on and take the foam pad to spread it out.

I too have put way to much product on when I first started. It only takes about one time doing that to realize "ya goofed up." ;)

Right click on pic, open in new window.

Takes you to a Googlegraph. :thumbsup:

You Dah Man! Now I have to look back and realize how many of the X'd out "things" I've missed.

Well the day is not wasted. I just learned something new. :hi:

Ah Geesh, I should have told you about using "chrome" so you could see where the product is.

Now when you say "respraying," does that mean that you are actually spraying the QS on? If so I highly recommend that you use one of Adam's foam pads. Spray the pad and then apply the product. But then again, you can still "spray" it on and take the foam pad to spread it out.

I too have put way to much product on when I first started. It only takes about one time doing that to realize "ya goofed up." ;)

I'm going to spray half of the bumper directly and spread it with the applicator. The other half of the bumper I'm going to spray it on the applicator first and use that to spread it with. I'll try both methods more then once if need be to see if I can get a better feel for how much I'm applying and which method works best.

I'm going to spray half of the bumper directly and spread it with the applicator. The other half of the bumper I'm going to spray it on the applicator first and use that to spread it with. I'll try both methods more then once if need be to see if I can get a better feel for how much I'm applying and which method works best.

Marre: I think you will find by applying the QS directly on a foam pad, first you won't have to put up with the fumes you might enhale. Second, by using the pad you won't have to be in a big hurry to spread the product that will be in a large area you may have sprayed it on.

Personally, I have tried both methods. Found that using the pad, I can see where I've applied it. When I was spraying it on, there were areas that I totally missed while spreading it with the foam pad. If that makes any sense. But what's important is you finding the right method that makes you comfortable ~ and that won't take you to long with the QS. Keep us informed of your progress. :2thumbs:

Just a quick suggestion. When you apply it directly on the pad, just spray half of the pad. I've found that you have more control on how much you are applying. :xfingers: Just do a very light spray on the pad.

AKA respirator. I just spray it and get away for a few seconds so I don't have to breathe it.

It's sounds logical but when you are in a fairly large shop, all three doors closed to keep dust from coming in, those fumes just seem to hang around.

I guess I could light a match and see if that would clear them out. :lol:

It's sounds logical but when you are in a fairly large shop, all three doors closed to keep dust from coming in, those fumes just seem to hang around.

I guess I could light a match and see if that would clear them out. :lol:

That would be interesting. :banana: