Customer Service 866.965.0400

Ford Dupont coating?

Kody

Question

Hey guys,

In the midst of trying to correct the paint on my boss with my PC and not getting very good results, I remembered the salesman telling something about a Dupont coating that they put on the car? Naturally he waited till we were outside looking at the car to tell me this and well, come on I'm 21 years old and in the middle of buying a boss 302 do you really think I was listening!?

I'm just curious if anybody else has heard of this? and could explain what it could be?

Thanks

Kody

22 answers to this question

I thought maybe it could be just be that the paint is harder but in the main problem spot (in the pictures) there's really nothing that the PC shouldn't be able to get out, but like I said it's taking two or more passes of all three (even green and SSHR) to get the majority of the swirls and light scratches out.

Thanks

Kody

At this point if it were me I would strip wash, then alcohol wipedown, clay again which should be fast since you already did it, then alcohol wipedown. If that doesn't get anything off the paint nothing will haha.

Then I would pick a small area that's messed up and start with Orange then white. See where that gets me and determine from there to either do a couple more whites or another orange/white.

Ok, so I now have to set my car on fire to get it off? lol!

I had no choice as it was already coated when I bought the car (brand new). So now I am really frustrated, and getting stressed as I have a photoshoot scheduled for this weekend, and my car is in shambles with no real answer as to how to fix it!

Thanks

Kody

I can't really find any specifics about what this crap is. Hopefully somebody here knows more about it. I'm really wondering what the hell they put on your paint lol. I wouldn't imagine a regular sealant would be so hard to take off. Especially after a strip wash/clay/polish. You'd think even one pass of the green would take off any sealant. Did they pour liquid acrylic over your paint lol?

Best thing I found on it:

Teflon® is useless in auto wax products. Not just my opinion but that of Dupont's chemists as well.

Quote:

The addition of a Teflon® fluoropolymer does nothing to enhance the properties of any car wax, we have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® to be beneficial in car waxes.

Teflon® requires a temperature of 680°F for it to bond to a surface. Heating your paint to 680°F would vaporize it.

The best picture out of the three I posted to kinda show what I am talking about is the second picture. If you look very closely you can see the line where I did my best correcting the problem and where it is untouched. you can faintly see the color difference between the two areas.

Thanks

Kody

Hmm, it might be that DuPont coating. They tried to sell me on that when I bought my mustang. Apparently it's a teflon based coating that is supposed to last years. Maybe it's just extremely difficult to remove. I'm gonna try and look it up more.

Now that I have really looked at it and put two and two together, I'm pretty sure my problem is based on this coating. While I can't get a good picture that really does the color difference and cloudyness justice it is very noticeable in some spots in person, like it got put on really thick.

Thanks

Kody

Just a quick side question. When you say rough, did you clay the car before polishing?

I think I might have confused you, I meant rough as in far from perfect, not physically rough lol. Sorry bout that!

Thanks

Kody

Hmm, it might be that DuPont coating. They tried to sell me on that when I bought my mustang. Apparently it's a teflon based coating that is supposed to last years. Maybe it's just extremely difficult to remove. I'm gonna try and look it up more.

Let me eat dinner then I will do my best to get pictures of what I'm talking about.

And I'm using green pad SSHR, orange pad SHR, then white pad and FMP, and I have been doing two or more passes of each.

Thanks

Kody

Forceofwill, you posted your first reply as I posted this. I am doing all three steps.

As far as claying goes, yes I clayed the areas I have done as test areas.

The PC with all three steps done twice goes a long way to fixing the problem, but it is still not as good as it really should be. I have never had a car that was this difficult to correct. That's why I am wondering if it has something to do with this "coating".

Thanks

Kody

Did you finish the polish or is that just with 2 passes of green? The green isn't going to take out swirls and go to perfect. I would follow those areas with orange/white and see if it clears up. This is why they recommend that you do a full process on a small area so you can tell the end result.

No I started with green, and when that didn't do it I did another pass witch started getting me some results.

Ok, on to pictures. I did the best I could with these but you can see kinda what I'm talking about.

Here you can faintly see the line (it is on the right side of the light reflection in the middle) you can see how true the red is to the right, then it gets kinda pinkish and cloudy to the left.

IMG_8015.jpg

This one shows the cloudy look along with the swirls, "pig tails" and scratches.

IMG_8010.jpg

And this is pretty much the same thing as the above.

IMG_8011.jpg

This car is surprisingly rough!

Please excuse the dirty car! I took a lovely young lady out for a night on the town and it was typical FL weather and was raining!

Thanks

Kody

Did you start with the orange? My stang came swirled as hell from the dealer and so did my buddies PW Boss. I did two really good passes with orange and it's still not near perfect. You might have to use green, that's what I'm doing next.

Let me eat dinner then I will do my best to get pictures of what I'm talking about.

And I'm using green pad SSHR, orange pad SHR, then white pad and FMP, and I have been doing two or more passes of each.

Thanks

Kody

it be best if you could capture a pic of what your talking about.

my guess is its excess "coating" on the finish or holograms from them taking a rotary buffer to the paint before delivery.

which polish were you using on the PC? if what your using isn't giving you the results you want, step up to the next product (FMP -> SHR, or SHR -> SSR)

Ok, good to know.

Just out of curiosity could that possibly be why the paint is so hard to correct?

And I've noticed this car has a bit of cloudy look to the paint, if you look at the paint in the right light it has a tinge of pink to it could this be the "coating"?

Thanks

Kody

I'm going to take an educated guess, and say all it is, is a sealant. There have been a few discussions about chevy doing this to peoples vettes and camaros.

Even if they put a "coating" on the interior it's just protectants they rub in/spray onto the interior.

I would just treat the car like any other detail. Use a strip wash consisting of adams car shampoo and a little bit of All purpose cleaner, to strip any wax/sealant off of the car.

Archived