Customer Service 866.965.0400

Sooo expensive!

Kody

Hey guys,

I'm sure this is not the first time this has been brought up here, but good grief is it expensive to keep a car clean and looking good!

In the last two weeks I've dropped:

$120 on 6 other name brand pads, 5 3000 grit sanding disc's, and a smaller backing plate for my flex.

$105, on a gallon of Adams car wash, 2 9x9 wash pads, glass cleaner DS, 1 can of IAO, and a can of QS

$139, with another company and non Adams products, so I won't name names, But I bought a 4" backing plate for my PC, 6 4" pads, 2 grit guards, 2 bars of clay, a bottle of wheel cleaner, a wheel brush, 2 hand applicators, and a sample tub of wax. Sorry! :( just trying different things out.

That's just what I've bought in two weeks! And I still at the end of the day stand back and go "oh I prolly should have bought this (and that list is generally 3 or 4 items)!"

I love having a clean car don't get me wrong! But this is ridiculous!

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Sorry bout the rant!

Kody

You can't put a price on having a nice vehicle. The fact that I get one or multiple compliments on my TBSS is enough to make up for the costs I invested to keep it that way.

And for all of that I thank Adam's Polishes for their amazing products, awesome staff, and stealing my wallet! :)

Yeah just so what I said is not taken out of context, I love having a clean car and will continue to buy the products to do so.... But it still hurts to drop the cash!

I guess it's also compounded by the fact that I'm in FL and we've had showers almost everyday for a while, and we all know what it's like to just wash your car just to get stuck in the rain!

Now think if you paid 15 bucks to run it through a car wash... I don't use 15 bucks every time I wash my car, so IMO it works out about the same...

Plus, doing it the way we do, keeps them looking MUCH nicer than paying someone to ruin the paint.

Chris

I agree with all the above -- once you have the right supplies purchased, you'll find that a little goes a long way. Another way to look at the math might be:

$15/mo for automated car washes = $180/year and, after 10 years, a pretty scratched up, never-cleaned right car. Take it for a trade in and it's just another pile of metal for the dealer to move (and give you crap money for).

OR

Spend $180 or so (maybe more, probably less) on quality car care products and do it right. After 10 years you're more than likely going to have the shiniest, best-looking, most thoroughly clean version of that make and model for miles around. Take it to the dealer for a trade in and you'd be able to argue for a lot more money, or you could easily sell it yourself for much more. If you were to get $1800 more than in the above trade-in scenario -- and that's easily likely on a car like a Vette, Porsche, BMW, etc -- you've actually come out ahead.

So, at the end of the car's life, having kept it clean the right way will likely more than pay for itself.

Yeah you have to think about the cost over the long run, initial start up of a collection and an appropriate allotment can be jaw dropping, but think about the joy you get from not only the detailing process, its my zen, and the results afterwards. Plus, for most of us, its a hobby, hobbies can get a bit pricey, but its something you get pleasure out of.

I try and save other places too when I know I might have a larger order coming. I modify some lifestyle things, such as not going out to lunch everyday, so I can enjoy these types of things. WELL WORTH IT!

It certainly can be expensive, there is no disputing that. I tried to acquire the products over time, rather than all in one month. I also started detailing on the side for friends and family for a cost that allowed me to get some return on my investment. After building a good reputation (thanks to Adam's products) I have a pretty regular clientele. Now, I no longer have to look at it as dropping $$$ to keep my ride clean. They pay me for the materials to keep their cars clean and I have what I need to maintain mine at no cost.

I could never understand why someone will pay $300 for a suit or handbag and then regularly pay $$ to have it dry cleaned. People pay $30,000 and up for a vehicle but dont feel the need or complain about spending $$ to keep it clean and protected.

Boggles my mind sometimes...:willy:

if it were cheap and easy to do, everyone would have showroom quality cars on the road!

i get compliments all the time on my wife's car. everyone thinks its new, but nope we've had it for about 18 months now. not too many compliments on the truck, as its pretty much stock, and plain ol' white paint just like every work truck around these parts...

Yeah you have to think about the cost over the long run, initial start up of a collection and an appropriate allotment can be jaw dropping, but think about the joy you get from not only the detailing process, its my zen, and the results afterwards. Plus, for most of us, its a hobby, hobbies can get a bit pricey, but its something you get pleasure out of.

Yes, it's like therapy. Think about how you feel when your vehicle is dirty vs when it's clean. Plus, I enjoy the process.

It all depends on how you look at it...

If you look at detailing as more of a chore you HAVE to do, then I see how it seems expensive.

If you look at detailing as more of a hobby you ENJOY and an investment in keeping your car nice, then it just seems like something you elect to spend your money on.

In the end (as I always tell my wife when she complains about the money I spend on car stuff) there are much worse habits to have, detailing is at least a healthy, productive activity that gets me some exercise and a way to spend idle time doing something that makes me happy.

It all depends on how you look at it...

If you look at detailing as more of a chore you HAVE to do, then I see how it seems expensive.

I think this has a lot to do with it, here in FL you can not keep a car clean for any more than a few days if your lucky. It does seem like a chore after awhile, especially when you used to try and keep a lifted 3/4 ton silverado spotless during the summer months!

I feel your pain... the bigger the truck the more time it takes and the more time it takes the less fun it is. Key thing is to find a 'happy medium' with your routine and your desire to spend time/money on it.

Perfection or anything close to it takes a TON of effort... but maintaining maybe 85% is still better than most cars on the road and allows you to maybe stress less about keeping it flawless at all times.

My buddy drives a massive 3500HD truck... I've corrected it before ( http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/trucks/7785.htm ) it was a 2 day job and absolute nightmare to complete the whole thing even in that amount of time. Even more frustrating is that there was no way it was going to fit in a garage so I knew it'd be outside from the second I finished... he keeps it washed, follows good process, and does what he can to keep it nice -- but not perfect.

It comes back to me about 1x a year for a refresher and thats it.

Expensive? Like others have said here it all depends on the perspective. I am in your same area and our daily driver car also sits outside all the time. It is a Kona Blue Mazda 6 - Ugh!! I think it is as bad or even worse than keeping a black car looking nice.

I was lucky in this detailing stuff, my Bride saw me having fun with this and learning so for Father's day last year bought me the big PC kit so I had a little bit of everything! Now it is just buying any new products and just refills. Once you have what you need it isn't near as expensive to maintain.

This is my therapy, my stress melts away when I am out in the driveway or garage detailing cars, just wish I could use my FSA card at Adam's!! It does benefit my health! :jester:

Expensive? Like others have said here it all depends on the perspective. I am in your same area and our daily driver car also sits outside all the time. It is a Kona Blue Mazda 6 - Ugh!! I think it is as bad or even worse than keeping a black car looking nice.

I was lucky in this detailing stuff, my Bride saw me having fun with this and learning so for Father's day last year bought me the big PC kit so I had a little bit of everything! Now it is just buying any new products and just refills. Once you have what you need it isn't near as expensive to maintain.

This is my therapy, my stress melts away when I am out in the driveway or garage detailing cars, just wish I could use my FSA card at Adam's!! It does benefit my health! :jester:

Harder than Black. I promise, and attest, and agree, and concur.

I look at it this way....I spent how much on my TBSS brand new? I know that's not the nicest car or truck on the road. I'm not in that tax bracket nor will I ever be. However, I sure as Shine, am gonna make sure it looks brand new until the day I am buried in it. That's not gonna happen with the off the shelf, full of filler and silicone, packed with preservatives, watered down, hot garbage on the shelf, that I once came from...just like the rest of us.

It's part of what led Dylan into "steering me into the light", back when I first got it. Only the best, for what I think is the best.

:D:2thumbs::rockon::patriot:

Another good thing to remember is consider all the deals we get.

Forum Discounts, Weekly Specials, Daily Specials, Holiday Sales, Forum Support, Awesome Adam's Staff and most importantly.....MINTS!

To me all that adds up to one heck of a deal on all of these high quality products to help us get our "Shine On!" And you can't put a price on that. :2thumbs:

Nothing is harder than black, lets just set that record straight right now, lol

After having a few black cars in my day, and now having to maintain "perfection" on the wife's car, this paint specifically. Dude, it's harder than black man. I pass gas inside the house at the wrong time of day, and that thing gets a swirl mark.

GM's dark spiral grey color is the same way! But it looks so good when it's clean!

This is what I was dealing with on a regular basis with my old truck.

553405_372995749428608_323113814_n.jpg