Customer Service 866.965.0400

Matte paint job

Laid GP

Question

9 answers to this question

:worth:

for certain you can use the Shampoo to wash the car.. but per Dylan's post, I wouldn't recommend much else..

No polishing.

No waxing.

No glazing.

Honestly, no Detail Spray either.

Pretty much stick to soap and water washing only.

For wipe downs you can use Waterless Wash or (as weird as this sounds) Glass Cleaner.

This car is cared for exclusively with our Glass Cleaner and waterless towels:

5c84dfbd.jpg

Diluted ************ cleaner works well, my neighbor cleans his rat rod with it on the roof with matte black. It removes oil stains on that type finish as well, I have a matte black Snapon box that someone spilled trans fluid down the back.

Edited by Mook@Adams
Can't mention competitor products.

Yea, matte is extremely delicate.. Soap and water is about it. WW or Glass cleaner will work as 'detail sprays' but for the most part you can't do much with it. Try to blow dry as much as possible, and always use soft microfiber when wiping. Always take extra precaution because once a scratch is there, its never going away. I would definitely 3 bucket wash a matte finish, master blaster excess water and probably pat dry the remaining water. I know it sounds over the top, but once a matte finish is scratched its never coming out.

Odd this came up, the new Veloster Turbo is out with a matte finish and these kids don't listen. "I waxed my matte grey and now its full of streaks" :willy:

Add: Make sure you're using a PH neutral soap (Such as Adam's Shampoo), any soaps that have wax, or are mildly alkaline will also damage the finish.

So what exactly happens if you polish, glaze, or wax a matte finish

All kinds of stuff.

Polishing will stain and if it doesn't it'll make it shinier in some spots than others, so it looks blotchy.

If you glaze it wouldn't be the end of the world, but you might see some staining until the residue is removed.

Wax you most definitely will get uneven gloss, staining, and streaks.

And thats the thing... so many people jump on matte paint thinking "its easier than gloss" and while the regular day to day care might be, its the other things that screw it up.

You get a scratch in matte - GAME OVER. you can't correct it.

You get etching in matte - GAME OVER. you can't correct it.

You get a bird bomb stain - GAME OVER... see the pattern here?