Customer Service 866.965.0400

Dutch Oven.....Anybody?

LFairbanks

So there have been a fair amount of food related topics, but I haven't seen one as of yet for dutch oven cooking. Anybody else cook this way? I do it from time to time and always when we go camping. Food always turns out delicious. Here is couple of things that I did last night.

Pork chops with peaches. So tender you could cut with a fork.

dinner001.jpg

This next one was an apple cobbler that I made. Really good with vanilla ice cream.

dinner002.jpg

Edited by LFairbanks

I completely mis-interpreted what you meant by "Dutch-Oven". However, looks good!

:lol::lol::lol:

Never heard that one. I guess Iam getting to be old or not spending enough time with my brother. He always seems to know the current "lingo"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L82YAaC7PzU]Dutch Oven - YouTube[/ame]

Any how any body else cook this way? And Iam not referring to the above video....lol

Edited by LFairbanks

I completely mis-interpreted what you meant by "Dutch-Oven". However, looks good!

LMAO!! Jeff, I haven't spent much time on here over the summer and I see your still active on here. You are still in DC area right???

Well, I'm Dutch and completely unfamiliar with the Dutch Oven (the pan). Seems it got its name because the Dutch were particularly good at manufacturing these pans in the 17th century...

However, I refuse to comment on the other definition :jester:

Keep it clean you dirty birds.

:lol:

I have always wanted to cook with one. Just never am THAT motivated LOLOLOL!

It is actually quite easy. I just have a Camp Chef stove and put in on low. Then for coals on top, I start them in a charcoal starter while putting together ingredients. Throw the dutch oven on then throw the coals on the lid. And cook at recommended time.

Pro 60 2 Burner Propane Stove - Camp Chef - The Way to Cook Outdoors

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kingsford-Chimney-Grill-Starter-Capacity/dp/B0036SGFYI/ref=sr_1_13?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1349147099&sr=1-13]Amazon.com: Kingsford Zinc Chimney Grill Starter, 5 Pound Capacity: Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Classic Deep 12" Dutch Oven - Camp Chef - The Way to Cook Outdoors

There are a ton of recipes online, and to be honest I haven't found anything that I didn't like. Just a hint for anyone looking to get one, stay away from the aluminum ones. Get the cast iron. Cast Iron holds heat, while aluminum disapates heat.

Dutch Ovens are great for cooking. I've been using a Lodge 5 qt and just picked up a 7 qt one. I stumbled across it at a Fry's grocery by me. They had it clearance priced for $35 from $80. So I had to buy it. Great deal. Lodge is great quality and made in USA.

Over the summer I've been using mine on the Big Green Egg to made a couple different things. Had an awesome Mac & Cheese from it and last weekend made a great pot roast. I can't wait for it to cool down a bit more. Got a beef stew recipe that I really want to try out.

Before pict of the pot roast, sorry didn't take one after. Thing was super juicy though. I took out 2 cups of juice with about an hour left for the gravy and it still almost over flowed. Sorry no after pict.

8047995628_00ce698243_b.jpg

Some folks go wild with these things, and it looks really tasty.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Wy_8b4i_ws&playnext=1&list=PL6037EA9703CD4D44&feature=results_video]Fortuna Apple Harvest Dutch Oven Cook-Off 10-02-2010 - YouTube[/ame]

Celeb Chef Michael Symon on "The Chew" today cooked what looked like a great and a little different Dutch Oven Beef Stew. Just looked up the recipe:

Michael Symon's Beef Stew - the chew - ABC.com

He's one of my favorite chefs too! It may also have something to do with me seeing him on Chopped: All-Stars, and was playing for Autism Speaks.

:bow::cheers: